Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
G.E.

Drives: black on black twenty ten ss/rs
Turbo Talk

I am looking at these two mainly.
http://www.fastlaneturbo.com/camaros...itpackage.aspx
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/i...bo-systems/172

Is the fastlane just a single turbo? and then the hellion is a twin correct?
If both of those are true, then why do both put down the same power of about 530 rwhp at 7 psi?

Please add anything you think would be helpful.
Thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Efficiency and size... The hellions twins are smaller but more efficient due to to location. A friend of mine has a fast lane kit and it is a single top mount turbo... It has lots of wow factor since you can see it. The Hellions mount to the exhaust manifolds like mine... Great sleeper...

My biggest suggestion is to upgrade to ball bearing turbo's... Regardless of the kit you use... If they are not standard...

I like the Hellion kit due to the mounting location, other than that, they are both good kits...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
What area of Texas are you near... I'm in the Austin area. If you want to see mine before you decide, we can meet up when I get home from Brazil in early June.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.E. View Post
I am looking at these two mainly.
http://www.fastlaneturbo.com/camaros...itpackage.aspx
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/i...bo-systems/172

Is the fastlane just a single turbo? and then the hellion is a twin correct?
If both of those are true, then why do both put down the same power of about 530 rwhp at 7 psi?

Please add anything you think would be helpful.
Thanks.
7 psi is 7 psi whether you have 2 turbos driving it or 1.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Efficiency and size... The hellions twins are smaller but more efficient due to to location. A friend of mine has a fast lane kit and it is a single top mount turbo... It has lots of wow factor since you can see it. The Hellions mount to the exhaust manifolds like mine... Great sleeper...

My biggest suggestion is to upgrade to ball bearing turbo's... Regardless of the kit you use... If they are not standard...

I like the Hellion kit due to the mounting location, other than that, they are both good kits...
Good words from someone with a TT setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
What area of Texas are you near... I'm in the Austin area. If you want to see mine before you decide, we can meet up when I get home from Brazil in early June.
If I were you MAKE the drive and go for a ride in Brandi. It will change you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
7 psi is 7 psi whether you have 2 turbos driving it or 1.
Very true. There are different efficiencies that come in to play but are not huge variances at 7 psi.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
Benefits of Remote-Mounted Turbochargers

Lower underhood temperatures. No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other as with a front-mounted turbo.

Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in about 8 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.

Cooler oil to the turbo. Cool oil is better for both the turbo and engine.

Performance Sound. The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler. Turbo spool and rushing air from the blow-off valve make a unique sound that will turn heads!

No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to "bolt-on" to factory mounts.

Increased gas mileage. Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage compared to their original stock mpg numbers.

Converts back to stock in about an hour.

More room under the hood. Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to engine components.

Lowest Intake Air Temps. Low IAT's equate to more horsepower per pound of boost than any other forced induction option. STS intake piping provides built-in intercooling. Add the optional intercooler, and IAT's drop even further.
Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage.

Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.

Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components.

No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.
Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.

Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of rather than up front.

Less noise and heat in the passenger compartment.

carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
carbon8

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/

and try this.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
carbon8

Actual photo of how hot a traditional front-mounted turbo can get.
You do not want this near critical plastic and electrical components in the engine bay, or
mounted under or near your feet causing significant driver and passenger discomfort.

Last edited by carbon8; 05-14-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: color
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
turboss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss turbo
I had a single fastlane turbo and it produced alot of heat and the down pipe was to small for the 72 mm turbo and it had a ebay intercooler with kit now my car is in works of twin 64 but the fastlane did have the wow looking factor
Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon8 View Post

Actual photo of how hot a traditional front-mounted turbo can get.
You do not want this near critical plastic and electrical components in the engine bay, or
mounted under or near your feet causing significant driver and passenger discomfort.

In a static environment the exhaust section of the turbo can get very hot, very quickly. It is a matter of proper airflow management planning (external in this case).

Did you order your TT system from JR? (Granatelli). That is the one in Brandi. Once R flipped to ball bearing turbos he never looked back.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
I have ball bearing twin turbos 58/62's mounted below the engine where the cats used to be...it's been fun for 2 years now, you will have a good time!!! I daily drive my car and go to the track often....I would recommend what "SSE 4 2SS" said....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
carbon8

Check out the Granatelli web sight. Those guys have been as good as gold to me. DONT GO WITH JOURNAL BEARINGS. The extra cost is well worth it.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon8 View Post
Check out the Granatelli web sight. Those guys have been as good as gold to me. DONT GO WITH JOURNAL BEARINGS. The extra cost is well worth it.
Absolutely. Just ask Robert. His toasted on the way to C5FestII. Luckily, the Camaro5 members took good care of him and Brandi.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I'd look at either Granatelli or IPS's TT kits too. If it was a choice between a single or twins, I can't ever see a situation where I would go single.