Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #99
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I guess if the back O2 sensors are completely turned off by a tune, you won't have a CEL, with or without a leak. I just wouldn't want to drive around with a leak, with or without a CEL.

JBA's short headers are difficult to install (I got a leak and I was trying my very best to get it right), but leaks are the problem- not the short headers, causing the CEL. Once I fixed the leak, no CEL pre-tune and no return since tuned.

With long tubes the headers do cause a CEL (because of their length, not leaks), but they are easy to install by comparison- no cutting, no welding and if I had it all to do over, I'm sure I would've just gone long tube!!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #100
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Well if they are still leaking, which they've been "fixed" already supposedly, then a tune would not fix that. Is there an easy way I can check them myself to see if they are still leaking? I just reset the CEL again but if there is a way to check I can do that and if I find a leak I can take it back to the shop I paid big bucks to get them installed at to fix again. But they may end up charging me more who knows. ALL I know is I want the CEL gone. And if it's tuned as is, and if there is a leak, will that screw up my engine in the long run? I'm not sure if they turn off the rear O2 sensors all the way on the tune but suppose I could ask.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #101
Ventmaster

Sorry to hear you're still having a problem- I know the frustration, but don't worry we'll get you there!

First, make no assumptions- read the code if/when it comes back, it may be something else (do you think you can hear a leak? I usually believe if you think you can, you've got one even if you don't have a CEL).

If it's one sided (when I first hooked mine up, both sides were leaking..!), say Bank1-sensor2, if you don't have an obvious audible leak, then I'd suggest swapping the 2 rear O2 sensors to the other side and see if the problem follows that sensor.

If the problem moves then you just need a new sensor.

If you jack the car up and can hear a leak, then I'd look to the generic gaskets with Walker Exhaust sealer.

Feel free to PM me if you decide to crawl under, and I'll give you any advice I can on sensor removal or gasket making!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #102
markgws6

Thanks. I just got through installing my footwell lights and so I had to disconnect the battery for that and twist my back in uncomfortable ways. So I'm a bit tired from all of that but I'll try to get it on jack stands and listen. From standing on the outside and listening, I don't hear any leaking or clicking sounds or anything like I did before when it leaked.

When I checked before clearing the codes, the DTCs were both P2099 and P2079. I may just end up taking it back to the place I had it done at this summer and just tell them to try gaskets to fix it (though they may have done that already.)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #103
Ventmaster

P2079 - GenericTypePowertrain - Fuel and Air Metering and Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE ControlledDescriptionIntake Manifold Tuning (IMT) Valve Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Intermittent
LocationBank 1NotesDTC Application note for Intake Manifold Tuning Valves and Intake Manifold Runner controls: Active controls are used to modify or control airflow within the engine air intake system. These controls may be used to enhance or modify in-cylinder airflow motion (charge motion), modify the airflow dynamics (manifold tuning) within the intake manifold or both. Devices that control charge motion are commonly called Intake Manifold Runner Control, Swirl Control Valve, and Charge Motion Control Valve. The ISO/SAE recommended term for any device that controls charge motion is Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC). Devices that control manifold dynamics or manifold tuning are commonly called Intake Manifold Tuning Valve, Long/Short Runner Control and Intake Manifold Communication Control. The SAE recommended term for any device that controls manifold tuning is Intake Manifold Tuning (IMT) Valve.

P2099 - Generic
TypePowertrain - Fuel and Air Metering and Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE ControlledDescriptionPost Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich
LocationBank 2

IMO these aren't common codes for header leaks. Not saying it ain't, just not ones I'd expect. And one is for Bank 1, the other for Bank 2.

I don't remember what other mods you've done on the intake side, cold air intake or ported TB, etc...?

Perhaps someone else has run into these... ?

Let us know what you hear underneath. If things sound good, you may have some other cause for your CEL's.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #104
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
P2079 - GenericTypePowertrain - Fuel and Air Metering and Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE ControlledDescriptionIntake Manifold Tuning (IMT) Valve Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Intermittent
LocationBank 1NotesDTC Application note for Intake Manifold Tuning Valves and Intake Manifold Runner controls: Active controls are used to modify or control airflow within the engine air intake system. These controls may be used to enhance or modify in-cylinder airflow motion (charge motion), modify the airflow dynamics (manifold tuning) within the intake manifold or both. Devices that control charge motion are commonly called Intake Manifold Runner Control, Swirl Control Valve, and Charge Motion Control Valve. The ISO/SAE recommended term for any device that controls charge motion is Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC). Devices that control manifold dynamics or manifold tuning are commonly called Intake Manifold Tuning Valve, Long/Short Runner Control and Intake Manifold Communication Control. The SAE recommended term for any device that controls manifold tuning is Intake Manifold Tuning (IMT) Valve.

P2099 - Generic
TypePowertrain - Fuel and Air Metering and Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE ControlledDescriptionPost Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich
LocationBank 2

IMO these aren't common codes for header leaks. Not saying it ain't, just not ones I'd expect. And one is for Bank 1, the other for Bank 2.

I don't remember what other mods you've done on the intake side, cold air intake or ported TB, etc...?

Perhaps someone else has run into these... ?

Let us know what you hear underneath. If things sound good, you may have some other cause for your CEL's.
The JBA's leak at the "stacker flange/clamp" not at the block, so you don't get the usual sounds you associate with leaking headers... in fact mine was leaking but you really couldn't even hear it with a mechanics stethoscope.. so it is an incredibly small leak... And since the leak is AFTER the first O2 sensor, you get the Emission code...

At least that is my understanding..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #105
markgws6

I had the first one wrong, it is P2097.

I've not done any intake manifold or throttle body mods. Only the SLP intake tube.
At this point, if the codes come up again, I'm going to take it back to the shop and see if they will charge me to fix the leak since I think screaming's explanation is probably what is happening and explain it to them so they understand how to fix it.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #106
Ventmaster

OK, so both codes are Bank 1- driver's side. That's the side they need to look at.

And yes, the stacker flange is JBA's achilles heel- good luck!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #107
markgws6

Well the P2097 code and CEL came back and the car is now IPF tuned. So I'm sure it is still leaking. I guess the tune did not turn off the rear O2 sensors... I've emailed JBA to see what they say about this piss poor flange design and probably taking it back to the shop. This is the most trouble on a car I've had in years. I think when the shop used the walker compound they probably did not use any generic gaskets and so it likely blew out the stuff.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #108
markgws6

Update: CEL still on after relocating sensors and clamp tightness check. I'm having them welded...I'm tired of dealing with this! If the code comes back after they are welded in I'm going to drive the car and self off of a cliff...consider this my last farewell.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #109
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
Dude ive been driving my camaro since i got my car with a cel ..u get used to it ..sucks no remote start tho..im putting my tune on this week I hope the tune can help me I just want it off I don't care about this stupid little sensor
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #110
markgws6

Yeah so have I. But it also decreases your mileage so you are loosing money on gas on top of having the light on and it "may" cause damage over time to our engines since the computer is compensating in a way that the engine was not designed to handle. You can try a tune too, but if anything, they will just turn off the sensors which really does not fix the issue, it just covers it up...
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #111
Ventmaster

Mark-
So sorry for the way things turned out.

A good weld-up will be a fine solution!

But just to mention, I'm 130miles north of Vegas and if you're gonna be in the neighborhood anytime soon, just come on by and we'll fix that car ourselves with gaskets, etc...

I've had to fix mine myself a couple of times (after the intitial headache and whenever I've had to take it in for service (new gears, etc...).

The guys at the shops can never get it right, but you'd be welcome and we'd get'er done!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #112
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I've had my jba shorts for over two years and they have been leaking ever sins. Now I get a code every now and then but it gos away. I have no idea how it clears it self but some times it's 50 miles then sometimes it's 20 miles. Can't figure it out and I just gave up.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote