Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #43
ZCT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS (IOM)
Arrow What I have found

Fraxum, I have a very good idea what you are going through here. I too just turned in a BMW, and I too just compared the 2011 Mustang to the 2011 Camaro.

My BMW was the 328i (although I've driven the 335i several times).

In both cars you are going to notice the lower quality interior materials. No slabs of wood, and more expensive looking plastics and rubber. But then both the cars you are looking at start at $23K, and the 3 series starts at $10K more.

Ultimately I couldn't get excited about the Mustang. It's just so common. The interior lacks the character of the Camaro. It is lighter on its feet, but I love the quiet cruising you get from the heavier Camaro; and it still works well if you chuck it around the bends.

I certainly will tell you that despite being spoiled by BMW handling, the Camaro comes close, and in my opinion it absorbs every day rough road surfaces better.

The stereo on the Camaro isn't as good as the upgraded BMW one, but is better than the one that comes on the 328i. But unlike the BMW, it can work well with the iPod or a memory stick. I've yet to even put a CD in the player.

The Camaro is a real looker. I've had comments on it every day. Even the cop who pulled me over for speeding told be it was a beautiful car, and shook my hand! Gave me a warning, not a ticket.

When you first get it, you will notice the lack of visibility compared to the BMW, but you quickly get used to that. It's rarely an issue for me any more.

You'll probably miss the dual zone auto climate control. It's manual on these cars. You'll probably enjoy the HUD. I think the V8 has a far more interesting noise than the 335i. But makes less road noise than those crappy run flat tires.

I got a loaded V6 for $30K. The equivalent, BMW would cost me $40K and would still be missing some features of the Camaro. What's more, I'd have to pay even more to come close the the horse power, probably closer to $50K.

For me, I won't get another BMW until the next generation. The 3 series, while a great car, is lacking some of the standard technology of cars like the Camaro or even Mustang.

I'm still enjoying the newness of my Camaro, and just went on my first longer drive. I don't regret this choice for a moment. If I really search hard I sometimes wonder how it would be if I'd gotten a yellow one (for example), but I never think about how it would be better if I'd gone with the Mustang. Owning this car makes me more sure than ever that I would have hated the Mustang.
ZCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #44
Phoenix328

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IBM
you should probably go buy a mustang because u rated the camaro higher in only cool factor. cool factor will wear off after awhile and then you will be sick of the car. buy a mustang.

1100: 07-01-09 4000: 08-25-09
4200: 08-25-09
5000: 09-02-09
6000: 09-02-09
2000: 07-24-09
2500: 07-29-09
3000: 07-30-09
3100: 08-02-09
3300: 08-05-09 TPW 08-17-09
3400: 08-13-09
3800: 08-24-09
Phoenix328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #45
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCT View Post
Fraxum, I have a very good idea what you are going through here. I too just turned in a BMW, and I too just compared the 2011 Mustang to the 2011 Camaro.

My BMW was the 328i (although I've driven the 335i several times).

In both cars you are going to notice the lower quality interior materials. No slabs of wood, and more expensive looking plastics and rubber. But then both the cars you are looking at start at $23K, and the 3 series starts at $10K more.

Ultimately I couldn't get excited about the Mustang. It's just so common. The interior lacks the character of the Camaro. It is lighter on its feet, but I love the quiet cruising you get from the heavier Camaro; and it still works well if you chuck it around the bends.

I certainly will tell you that despite being spoiled by BMW handling, the Camaro comes close, and in my opinion it absorbs every day rough road surfaces better.

The stereo on the Camaro isn't as good as the upgraded BMW one, but is better than the one that comes on the 328i. But unlike the BMW, it can work well with the iPod or a memory stick. I've yet to even put a CD in the player.

The Camaro is a real looker. I've had comments on it every day. Even the cop who pulled me over for speeding told be it was a beautiful car, and shook my hand! Gave me a warning, not a ticket.

When you first get it, you will notice the lack of visibility compared to the BMW, but you quickly get used to that. It's rarely an issue for me any more.

You'll probably miss the dual zone auto climate control. It's manual on these cars. You'll probably enjoy the HUD. I think the V8 has a far more interesting noise than the 335i. But makes less road noise than those crappy run flat tires.

I got a loaded V6 for $30K. The equivalent, BMW would cost me $40K and would still be missing some features of the Camaro. What's more, I'd have to pay even more to come close the the horse power, probably closer to $50K.

For me, I won't get another BMW until the next generation. The 3 series, while a great car, is lacking some of the standard technology of cars like the Camaro or even Mustang.

I'm still enjoying the newness of my Camaro, and just went on my first longer drive. I don't regret this choice for a moment. If I really search hard I sometimes wonder how it would be if I'd gotten a yellow one (for example), but I never think about how it would be better if I'd gone with the Mustang. Owning this car makes me more sure than ever that I would have hated the Mustang.
Thanks! Good feedback for me. I do like the Mustang, the 2011 is much improved over the older ones. But i did get a better feeling driving the Camaro.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #46
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix328 View Post
you should probably go buy a mustang because u rated the camaro higher in only cool factor. cool factor will wear off after awhile and then you will be sick of the car. buy a mustang.
The Mustang was only slightly better in acceleration, tossability, and interior materials. I know I can fix the first two (I enjoy modding) and the third is not a big deal. And since I cannot help myself when I order a car I get ALL the regular options I can save a little buying the Camaro. I also get a sun roof and IRS.

But I agree with you about the wow factor wearing off. Like I noticed driving my WS6 around this weekend. In 1996-97 this was THE car for me. Now my tastes have changed.

I have more time to think about this since I have not sold my WS6 yet. But if i were buying today it would be a Black/Orange 2SS RS 6M. Tomorrow I may feel different.

I just hope I can find a Chevy dealer who will actually deal. I am not paying list. Or that will push me back to the Mustang for sure. My real problem is that I know I would be happy with either car.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #47
LS1owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS- SOLD!!
How does acceleration compare in the SS vs th 335?
LS1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #48
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Sounds like to me by reading your post you prefer the Mustang over the Camaro anyway so why don't you just go get one and be happy with it. If you ask a bunch of Camaro owners on a Camaro site, I'd be willing to bet that most of them will tell you to by the Camaro don't you think.

I like the looks of the Challenger and my wifes likes the looks of the Challenger over the Camaro, but it didn't convince me to get one. I got the Camaro and I'm on a Camaro forum. I'm sorry but it seems as of late I have come across a few people on here that post up this same type of story about how they want or got a Mustang over the Camaro. Or how they got rid of there new Camaro and got a new Mustang. Fine, no big deal. It's your money and your choice, so you have to make it. If you chose a car over the Camaro that's OK with me, but then why do those same people still hang out on a Camaro forum? Just curious.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #49
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
Thumbs down disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yes, sort of. But the cool factor kicked in for me. Notice the high rating I gave that aspect. The other thing I did not mention is you see so many more Mustangs. The Camaro is more unique. However I still am not sure it is better looking than the Mustang.

One of the things the Mustang does is connect me with cars I cut my teeth on. The Camaro not so much. I do not see much 1969 Camaro there. But I like new stuff so that is not a problem for me. As to the interiors both were going retro and neither pulled it off for me.

However I still am not sure it is better looking than the Mustang.

WHAT?

WHATTTTTTTTT??????
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #50
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
buy one already.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #51
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
The low roofline is one of the best parts of the camaro, yeah it may be harder to see out of but it looks awesome and futuristic. It makes the car look like a chop top and I love it

Quite frankly, you get used to the low roofline in NO time and honestly, it makes the car look that MUCH BETTER. The team originally wanted the roof line LOWER than it is now. The aussies got them to raise it up a 1/2 an inch (wasn't it a half an inch??? maybe 2? ...donm't remember).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
Let us know what you end up buying..

OP, you really DO make some good points. But, I have to totally disagree with some of the others. I'd quote your post, but that would leave a HUGE page with TONS to read again.

Roof line is fine. You get used to it in a week. And, it IS a cool factor.

Visors. Seriously? That roof line is so far forward that you really don't even NEED to use the visors! On top of that, what about us 6 foot 2 inch tall dudes who's heads are already up there towards the top of the roof? What happens when we NEED to use the visor? We pull it down. What if it were a full visor? No good. That 1/2 visor is one of the MOST BRILLIANT things I think GM's done with...something as small as a visor...in YEARS. GREAT idea.

The Mustang IS a good looking car. I agree.

I ALSO agree that it's just a Mustang. They are a dime a dozen out there on the roads. When I see one, it doesn't even make me do a double take. They mean nothing to me. They really are everywhere....so much so that I don't care to look at them anymore.

It really is a big change from the BMW to the others. I understand. I drove an 02SS for YEARS. Yes, the driver door is higher...and like everything else, you get USED to it! You'll LOVE it. I promise!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #52
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1owner View Post
How does acceleration compare in the SS vs th 335?
Stock the 335 can go really low into the 13s. I think a few AWD freaks squeaked into the 12s stock (or so they said they were stock). So the 2010+ SS wins with an as good or better driver in my opinion.

But with a tune, DRs, and a CAI you get into the 11s.

The 335s small turbos kick in early so it feels V8 strong. My 335i stock felt almost exactly like my '98 LS1 Z28. But they were never compared side by side.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #53
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
Sounds like to me by reading your post you prefer the Mustang over the Camaro anyway so why don't you just go get one and be happy with it. If you ask a bunch of Camaro owners on a Camaro site, I'd be willing to bet that most of them will tell you to by the Camaro don't you think.

I like the looks of the Challenger and my wifes likes the looks of the Challenger over the Camaro, but it didn't convince me to get one. I got the Camaro and I'm on a Camaro forum. I'm sorry but it seems as of late I have come across a few people on here that post up this same type of story about how they want or got a Mustang over the Camaro. Or how they got rid of there new Camaro and got a new Mustang. Fine, no big deal. It's your money and your choice, so you have to make it. If you chose a car over the Camaro that's OK with me, but then why do those same people still hang out on a Camaro forum? Just curious.
I know what you mean. I hope I am not one of those people. I actually posted here for two reasons:

1. Other than my 335i and a Nissan Maxima as my daily drivers my last 3 fun cars were all Fbody 4th gens. I want to want the Camaro if that makes sense.

2. Before I started the search the Coyote Mustang was my front runner for a number of reasons. After the first day and after driving the Camaro the SS became my front runner. After driving both and weighing all my options it still is there.

This is why I posted here. Also I have been lurking and bitching about the old incompetent GM management for a while now and I wanted to give something back to the site. I posted nothing on the Mustang sites at all about this.

But if I cannot get a good deal on an SS I will buy the Mustang. In the long term I am sure I would be equally as happy with it.

One other thing I wanted to say in this thread. The new improved Mustang is not a slam dunk winner over the SS. In fact I think it is a dead heat despite what the magazines are saying. I read them all.

GM your move next. You know they will respond, perhaps next year. In this fight all V8 rear drive obsessives win.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #54
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
To everyone always complaing about the sight blocked views. Heed this warning never get into a Lambo or Ferrari because it will be the worst car in the world to you. LOL at the view thing still to this day. Drive the car for a full day and you would have learned the sights and every aspect of the car.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #55
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
You're contradicting yourself man. You say you like the Camaro exterior better, but then rate it lower...?
Thought I was the only one that noticed this....your narrative seems to lean towards the camaro yet you rate lower?...

There is no way in a firey hell that the mustang has a better appearance than the camaro. The exterior looks the same, tired scheme that has been there for decades...they added a bit of curvature and now its a different car? Don't get me wrong, I love AMERICAN muscle...the 5.0 is impressive, but the exterior alone kills the car for me.

What exactly are you looking for in a car? You rated interior and exterior, but do you care about performance? I have owned Ford previously and my assigned work vehicle is currently Ford. I can't seem to get a Ford that does not have moderate to major power train issues within the first 2-3 years. There is much more to both of these vehicles than what you have addressed. It seems to me you get more bang for you bunk with the camaro. The amenities are great and relatively cheap. The sync with NAV was too pricey for my taste. If you have no price limit then why not wait for the Z/28 or just jump on the Shelby. You seem to prefer the mustang and don't need our imput to sway you otherwise...they are both great American vehicles.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #56
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
That 1/2 visor is one of the MOST BRILLIANT things I think GM's done with...something as small as a visor...in YEARS. GREAT idea.
A gr8r idea would have been a slide out extender...but I guess "short people got no reason to live".

mhood is offline   Reply With Quote