Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #113
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Do you think it was a bad idea to do it again?

I did a lot of research and posted lots of questions but I never heard anything about the pulley failing a chain.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #114
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
honestly depends on the person. I personally would never cam another car again. i have been cammed for about 2 years, at first i loved it. but the extra care you have to give the engine is at times annoying. i had a spring failure on mine. i had to also do a leak down test etc... nothing else was broke.

So far the car is a money pit, and i will need to upgrade and replace things as the engine ages more so than a stock engine. and i read about things that happen to other cam owners, its not fun at times lol
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #115
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Maybe I didn't do enough research? What extra care do I have to give it?
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #116
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:

I did a lot of research and posted lots of questions but I never heard anything about the pulley failing a chain.
MAX, Glad to hear the car is on the mend...

Is it a bad idea to cam it again... Heck No... There are aftermarket chains out there, like the Katech I think you mentioned you are using this time around, that are much better quality than the factory chains...

I really do understand the empty garage syndrome... Hopefully mine will be home from the latest round of mods and getting her ready for the Texas Mile...

Your responses and attitude in here indicate to me you are first class... Good luck and let us know your impressions of the new version...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #117
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
MAX, Glad to hear the car is on the mend...

Is it a bad idea to cam it again... Heck No... There are aftermarket chains out there, like the Katech I think you mentioned you are using this time around, that are much better quality than the factory chains...

I really do understand the empty garage syndrome... Hopefully mine will be home from the latest round of mods and getting her ready for the Texas Mile...

Your responses and attitude in here indicate to me you are first class... Good luck and let us know your impressions of the new version...

Thanks SSE.

I hope I am not the first person that it happens twice too~

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #118
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
If the car is modded by a competent shop, and you don't go overboard with power like some of us goofballs, then the only additional care is what most of the Camaro owners on this site perform... keep the oil clean, check the fluids regularly... as opposed to those that put gas in it, never change or even check the oil and fluid levels and drive it until it quits and then wonder what happened...

A moderately cammed car with intake and exhaust upgrades should last you many many miles and years with no more trouble than a stock vehicle...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #119
mikeSS

Quote:
well for one, you have to replace springs. but nobody can give you a real time when you change them. Its about how you drive. Its a guessing game with springs, you have to check pressure of them like every year or so. to be safe.

also you must let your car warm up, more so than a stock engine. as the heavy duty springs do not like to be cold. that is why mine broke.

Think about if you had these problem away from home. i am like you, i cannot do my own work. if i had a problem and was not close to home/shop. i would have to have it towed all the way to shop. so thats annoying at times when wanting to take my car on trips. its not like you can just go to a local chevy dealership and have her all ready next day what ever town you are in.

pretty much you cam a car. you pray nothing happens. which is not how roll. personally. but of course the failure rates are somewhat low overall.

again this my view point
Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #120
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Ok Mike that makes sense. I never gave warm up much of a thought but I will let it sit longer. I also never knew about checking spring pressure. I will add that. I wish there was a sticky of yearly inspections for cammed cars for those who have little knowledge. Maybe someone can make one explaining all the extra's of caring for cammed cars? Like I have said many times, I don;t beat on the car, never race it, smoke the tires or red line. Sometimes just for fun I will wind out 1 thru 4 but shift around 5,000ish rpms. Maybe I will lower my shift point to 4,000?

SSE I used a name brand shop and have no issues witht he shop at all. They did a good job on the initial install and have really helped me out on the rebuild.

I did the JRE cam package which included

JRE Custom Ground 3 Bolt Camshaft
Valve Springs
Spring Seats
Valve Seals
Locks
Retainers
LS Trunion Upgrade
Crankbolt
Cam Sprocket Bolt
Timing Cover Gasket
Front Crank Seal
Camshaft Timing Chain Gear
Hardened Pushrods

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #121
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

You're in good hands then... Ted is top notch... I believe you were just a bitten victim of a chain...

Talk to Ted about any additional items of care he recommends. He will steer you in the right direction....

Old 10-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #122
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
You're in good hands then... Ted is top notch... I believe you were just a bitten victim of a chain...

Talk to Ted about any additional items of care he recommends. He will steer you in the right direction....

That's good to hear.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #123
mikeSS

Quote:

keeping in mind my "extra" care from ted, who is also my cam suppler.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #124
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

This conversation reminded me of this pic...

From Indy... and yes it looked good but I got my butt handed to me on this pass...
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #125
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Nice! I love that spoiler

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #126
mikeSS

happens to the best of us. sse

but yes maxspeed if you do have more questions ask TED.