Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's great to hear the comments about the production interior. Make all our spouting about how great it was worthwhile.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
CamaroDude
Look Ma Im A Music Artist

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
everyone that says it looks better in person is right,
yes one more day and its me and the camaro at the auto show. I will take lots of photos for you guys and gals.
CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
The dash is the textured plastic? Like a middle school lunch room tray kind of texture? I hope the texture is a bit better and/or classier. If not, then that could be an issues for some, depending on the rake of the windshield. I cannot drive my car on a sunny day without sun glasses on because the frick'n glare of the dash up on the windshield is horribly distracting. My wife's car has a smooth dash, a more severe raked windshield, and the glare is barely noticeable; it is not so bad that your eyes are drawn to it.

Anyone ever driven a Ford Edge? If not, go take one for a test drive on a sunny day. When Ford had the press out for test drives, everybody was given a pair of sunglasses because they did not want negative press about it. Most used the glasses, but those that did not were sure to mention that Ford offered sunglasses, they did not use them, and mentioned the bad glare in their reviews.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
The dash is the textured plastic? Like a middle school lunch room tray kind of texture?
No. Leather-print texture:

Name:  3203025438_280dcfa5d6_o.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  137.6 KB

And did the Edge, etc that you mentioned have a black dash? Just curious...
Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
nice im glad to hear you liked it

Whos going to the chicago auto show raise of hands
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #20
Red Hot
:)

Drives: 2SS RS Red Jewel
Quote:
The dash is the textured plastic? Like a middle school lunch room tray kind of texture? I hope the texture is a bit better and/or classier. If not, then that could be an issues for some, depending on the rake of the windshield. I cannot drive my car on a sunny day without sun glasses on because the frick'n glare of the dash up on the windshield is horribly distracting. My wife's car has a smooth dash, a more severe raked windshield, and the glare is barely noticeable; it is not so bad that your eyes are drawn to it.
Are you saying that the textured dash gives off more glare than a smooth dash? Seems like it would be the exact opposite.
Red Hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
CDBiker, excellent review. I saw the prepro's at Indy and felt the same. And, they weren't even completed yet.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #22
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfret7 View Post
I'll see it at the Washington, D.C. show. I can't wait!
When's that and where exactly?
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #23
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No. Leather-print texture:
And did the Edge, etc that you mentioned have a black dash? Just curious...
Black dash without texture and dark gray with it. The black dash gives off a very light "ghost image" of the dash and is barely noticeable; you have to want to see it. The dark gray with the texture gives off way too much glare. If you are not wearing sunglasses, then the glare is very noticeable. I used some Meguiar's interior dressing (the NXT Generation stuff) on the dash...ONCE. When the sun was not directly behind me, the glare of the dash projected onto the windshield made it tough to see...like holding up two negatives, one behind the other, and trying to make out the second image through the first. I have found that 303 Protectant is the only stuff that does not make the dash "shiny." Even with nothing on the dash, the glare stands-out. With dressing that makes the dash shiny, the glare is downright dangerous. The texture in the photo is like the kind I have...classic "lunch tray." I really hope the rake of the windshield is not so bad that glare is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hot View Post
Are you saying that the textured dash gives off more glare than a smooth dash? Seems like it would be the exact opposite.
Yes, the textured dash gives off a lot more glare than the smooth one. I think it has to do with the light catching the valleys of the texture and making it stand out.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #24
69 rs/ss

Drives: 1969 rs/ss & 2010 L99 #3747 4/28/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
Well, i go to school in erie, pa. and we had monday of for MLK day. So i thought why not go on a little road trip to detroit with some friends. Anyways, i was very impressed by the camaro, everyone that says it looks better in person is right, it just seams like its so well proportioned and every line is in the right spot, my grilfriend was amazed by how awesome it looks. Also we got to sit in it, the seats are VERY comfortable, no one will be able to complain about that, but they are alittle soft. I wouldent mind them being alittle harder and supportive but im young, maybe if i was older i would want the comfort over the stiffness, the seats felt just like the challenger i sat in if that helps for comparison, but softer than a mustang. Still nothing I would complain about. Also the dash is mostly hard textured plastic, not soft like some of the more luxury cars i sat in. but still better than the mustang and challenger that have hard plastic with no texture at all. Everything you actually touch however feels awesome, the doors, steering wheel, shifter. Overall it feels very good quality, even the hard plastic dash feels good quality, and firm. not squeaky and plasticy like older gm cars. I sat in the back seat and its actually really comfortable, im only 5' 8" but its about the same as my 98 camaro with more comfortable seats. Also they guy pointed out the ambient lighting to me, but said he had no key to show it, he even showed me where you can turn it on with the dimmer switch. You can see the clear area around the door panels edge where the light comes through, and he told me it works. Overall I'm really impressed. the car is awesome, and after comparing it to the challengers and mustangs at the show, the decision to get the camaro is easy. O and it had the most attention of any car at the show, the only car that I saw that had a line to get into the entire time I was there. So that cant be a bad thing.
Thanks for this reflection on the Camaro experience. I can not wait to see it in Syracuse.
69 rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Black dash without texture and dark gray with it. The black dash gives off a very light "ghost image" of the dash and is barely noticeable; you have to want to see it. The dark gray with the texture gives off way too much glare. If you are not wearing sunglasses, then the glare is very noticeable. I used some Meguiar's interior dressing (the NXT Generation stuff) on the dash...ONCE. When the sun was not directly behind me, the glare of the dash projected onto the windshield made it tough to see...like holding up two negatives, one behind the other, and trying to make out the second image through the first. I have found that 303 Protectant is the only stuff that does not make the dash "shiny." Even with nothing on the dash, the glare stands-out. With dressing that makes the dash shiny, the glare is downright dangerous. The texture in the photo is like the kind I have...classic "lunch tray." I really hope the rake of the windshield is not so bad that glare is an issue.
Interesting. I have to wonder if it's not the color of the dash that makes the biggest difference. Black tends to asborb more light, rather than reflect it...and depending on the makup of the gray, it could act very much like a blurry mirror. Then the texture doesn't help, because, as you said -- the crevises and what not create more of that reflective surface area which multiplies the problem on the gray dash.

I'll go out on a limb and say I didn't notice any glare when I was at Indy (sun shining, and everything)...I hope others can chime in about the car at NAIAS...