Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #127
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions View Post
i have an extra oem 16 ss leather steering wheel if anybody wants to try one lol
Which style? Leather, white stitching, paddle shifters?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #128
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions View Post
so did anybody get this to work ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
That's the million dollar question. Once there is confirmation that all these parts have been installed and working without issue, I'm ordering parts. I'm also curious what the extra button functions do that the 6th has that the 5th gen doesn't.
Rainbow1616 got a 6th wheel to work on a 2011 ...including the heated steering wheel feature! See posts #75,101 and 114 in this thread.

Last edited by camguynj; 05-10-2018 at 11:13 PM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #129
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Rainbow1616 got a 6th wheel to work on a 2011 ...including the heated steering wheel feature! See posts #101 and #114 in this thread.
The 6th gen wheel has two more button functions that the 5th gen doesn't have. It hasn't been determined what they do, if anything. Not a big deal if they have no function. I also don't think Rainbow1616 has actually installed the 6th gen airbag yet to see if it plays nice with the 5th gen airbag system. At least he hasn't posted anything about it. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I think that's what most of us have been waiting on.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #130
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Quote:
The 6th gen wheel has two more button functions that the 5th gen doesn't have. It hasn't been determined what they do, if anything. Not a big deal if they have no function. I also don't think Rainbow1616 has actually installed the 6th gen airbag yet to see if it plays nice with the 5th gen airbag system. At least he hasn't posted anything about it. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I think that's what most of us have been waiting on.
That, and saving enough money for the project.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #131
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I originally thought the only new button function was the heated steering wheel which Rainbow1616 said he got to work.

But now I also see where the 6th gen DIC display menu selection is now a steering wheel button & arrows function and not on the turn signal stalk like on the 5th gen ...he said he didn't try that button or the arrows. This could possibly be a show stopper as the DIC menu wiring to the BCM is coming from different harness connectors on each gen. The 5th gen DIC menu is coming from the turn signal stalk harness while on the 6th gen it's coming from the steering wheel harness. The steering wheel swap may still work AS LONG AS the 5th gen "dash-side" steering wheel harness connector does not use the 6th gen steering wheel harness DIC menu pin ? If it's not used then the DIC menu should still work from the turn signal stalk while the steering wheel button & arrows would just be dummies. I’ve asked him to confirm if the DIC stalk menu still works?

Aside from the button differences there is also the Rev Matching tabs on a manual wheel that don't exist on a 5th gen. I would think their pins are new and so wouldn't match to any 5th gen harness pins so there would be no problem Rainbow1616 has an automatic so the 6th gen wheel he's using has to be a different part# than a wheel for a manual.

Big question is will the 6th gen air bag work as long as the connectors attach

Here's wishing that Rainbow1616 gets back to 100% and on his feet soon to see his efforts thru and let us all know

Last edited by camguynj; 11-13-2019 at 09:36 AM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #132
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Here's wishing that Rainbow1616 gets back to 100% and on his feet soon to see his efforts thru and let us all know
At least in time for us to all do this mod before next winter.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #133
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
mine is just leather 1ss steering wheel pm me and i can always send pics !
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #134
Strider044

Drives: 2015 2ss/rs Commemorative edition
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #135
ticowarbird
BOHIC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS "Enola"
Old 06-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #136
Low Saturn

Wondering is this ever got completed? I'm ready to roll on this project myself. Just want to make sure of a few things first.

1. With the 2016+ airbag plugged in and the car running, any airbag warning lights?
2. Functions of the various buttons on the steering verified to function as intended? Do all of them work or are there a few that have no function on a 5th Gen?
3. Do the steering wheel control buttons illuminate? The person putting the Corvette steering wheel in his 5th Gen had an issue with this.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #137
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
He did say air bag worked:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=123

Has the airbag part number...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #138
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
He did say air bag worked:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=123

Has the airbag part number...

-Don
That is the correct part number, but there has been no confirmation of it being installed into the car. Just that he received the correct airbag and it fit onto the steering wheel.

He had removed the 6th Gen wheel and put back the 5th Gen one when he had found that he had the incorrect airbag.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=75

I doesn't seem that he has put the 6th Gen wheel back into the car since the air bag arrived after he had his surgery.

Hoping there's some confirmation soon. My son's mother recently rented a 2017 Convertible and I really liked how that steering wheel looked and felt. Now that I think of it, I should of temporarily swapped the steering wheels just to verify everything. Heck, I could of probably just put my 2011 steering wheel in the 2017 and the rental place probably wouldn't of known the difference.

The daily rental of a 6th gen is a lot cheaper than purchasing all the needed parts for this swap. Hmmmmm.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #139
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm really sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. My surgery turned into two surgeries and I'm am still going through the painful physical therapy three times a week. Needless to say I have been pretty discouraged and depressed.
My knee is getting stronger now and range of motion is slowly getting better. I am finally able to drive again with confidence.
I hope to get this put back on soon and I will update if I get an air bag fault. As for the 4 extra buttons in question I don't believe I tried them. I did try the heat however and that worked fine.
Thanks for your patience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #140
jmroslin

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2 LT
Nice to hear your ok! Now, get back in this project lol

Sent from my SM-N9300 using Tapatalk
jmroslin is offline   Reply With Quote