Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Competitive Mode for the A6 SS?

Before anybody says anything I’ve done the search but I can’t find what I’m looking for. What I’m wondering is what does Competitive Mode do for the SS A6?
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
x2.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
eastwood

Drives: Blown 2010 Orange camaro ss/rs
from what i have read it allows you to pin the gas pedal to the floor. and it will hold 4000ish rpms and you dump the clutch..
eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
04Ram2500Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwood View Post
from what i have read it allows you to pin the gas pedal to the floor. and it will hold 4000ish rpms and you dump the clutch..
That's for the M6 (Manual Transmission). I'm looking for the Automatic.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
I didn't think the auto's had competitive mode?
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
I didn't think the auto's had competitive mode?

As the manual describes I hit the button twice and it comes on. I have an auto.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Sorry, just to clarify, are you talking about Launch Control or Competitive Mode?

Launch Control is only on the M6. From the owner's manual:

Launch Control (V8 with Manual Transmission Models Only)
Launch Control uses a form of traction control specifically tuned to
optimize tire spin while launching the vehicle during closed track events
and competitive driving. The feature is activated when the vehicle is at
rest while in Competitive Mode. See Competitive Driving Mode on
page 8-37 for more information. At rest, if the accelerator pedal is
pressed to the floor with the clutch engaged, the RPM is limited to a
predetermined level. A smooth, quick release of the clutch while keeping
the accelerator pedal on the floor will provide controlled wheel spin for
consistent acceleration. Complete shifts as described in Manual
Transmission on page 8-30.

Competitive mode (on any V8) basically turns off the Stabilitrak and the traction control. Also from the manual:

Competitive Driving Mode is designed and recommended for
use only during closed track events and at competitive driving venues.
The TCS system uses engine and brake systems to control wheel spin
during acceleration and cornering while the StabiliTrak system helps
maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake
application.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
1FINE 69

Drives: 2010 synergy green and a 1991 rs
I have the SYNERGY GREEN A6 V-6, I have used comp mode you have to press the button and hold down for 8 sec,the you will see the traction light come on and then the comp light.The manual dosn't say anything about the auto. your computor then changes the rev settings and you take off. the first time you do it not so good then it gets better and better.I've been told not to stay in this mode just play and get out,you may mess your tranny up?? not sure my service people didn't even know about it till I asked about it.there are other posts about this here. lmk please JOE
1FINE 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Gr. Everyone has so much faulty information.

Competitive Mode is when you give your TC button two presses. It will turn of TC and turn off MOST of the stabilitrak. This is the setting I drive in 95% of the time. Gives you more "umph".
Old 07-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
04Ram2500Hemi

So I finally got home and was able to pull out the manual:

"Competitive Driving Mode and Launch Control are systems designed to allow increased performance while accelerating and/or cornering. This is accomplished by regulating and optimizing engine and brake performance. These modes are for use at a closed course race track and are not intended for public roads. They will not compensate for a driver's inexperience or lack of familiarity with the race track. Drivers who prefer to allow the system to have more control of the engine and brake systems are advices to turn StabiliTrack on."

From what I'm reading, this will open up the engine more and give you more power for when you want it. Normal every day driving, just leaving the car as is will most likely take care of all the normal commuting needs. However, if you are at the track (or on an open road where you choose to play), Competitive Mode is going to give you more power.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
So I finally got home and was able to pull out the manual:

"Competitive Driving Mode and Launch Control are systems designed to allow increased performance while accelerating and/or cornering. This is accomplished by regulating and optimizing engine and brake performance. These modes are for use at a closed course race track and are not intended for public roads. They will not compensate for a driver's inexperience or lack of familiarity with the race track. Drivers who prefer to allow the system to have more control of the engine and brake systems are advices to turn StabiliTrack on."

From what I'm reading, this will open up the engine more and give you more power for when you want it. Normal every day driving, just leaving the car as is will most likely take care of all the normal commuting needs. However, if you are at the track (or on an open road where you choose to play), Competitive Mode is going to give you more power.
Your taking it out of content ... The engine does not get more power. It reduces traction control and turns off stabilitrack. It gives you full control of the braking and cornering rather than the computer. The stabilitrack works by the computer applying braking to compensate for the car getting squirley on you. It controls each wheel separately ...
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
04Ram2500Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Your taking it out of content ... The engine does not get more power. It reduces traction control and turns off stabilitrack. It gives you full control of the braking and cornering rather than the computer. The stabilitrack works by the computer applying braking to compensate for the car getting squirley on you. It controls each wheel separately ...
Thank you for clearing that up. So my next question is- what is the benefit of Comp Mode then? My car is basically a to and from work car when the weather is nice, or a road trip car (again nice weather). Once the snow falls, this sucker is going in the garage and the truck is coming out. I've never owned a car that has this stuff on it, so I'm still in the dark.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
It's used mainly for the track, for the street it's safer just to leave everything on. For everyday driving I just leave everything on. I trust my driving, it's the others down here that I don't ... A lot of Blue Hairs that will cut across 3 lanes of traffic because someone is having a sale on paper products ...
Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
04Ram2500Hemi

So if you're going to jump on it at the stop light (as I say "Give it the Onion") would you just leave it in Sport Mode and let the car do its thing, or would it be a good time to use Comp Mode?