Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Installed FatMat and the sound difference is amazing !

Installed FatMat MegaMat in the trunk to kill a little solo exhaust drone. This butyl mat not only got rid of the 2k drone from the exhaust but made the stereo system sound so much better than before I would have installed just for this ! Tried some other sound deadeners before but they never really much of a difference . Bought 25sqft which was more than enough to line the trunk and side walls.
Before changing out your speakers this is worth the time and $ !

http://www.fatmat.com/bulk/megamat/25.html
Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Excellent! FatMat is good stuff...

Sound deadener for some reason is so easily (and often) overlooked... most of the time you can make an "ok" set of speakers in deadened doors sound like really expensive speakers in un-deadened doors... best bang for the buck on any SQ oriented install.

I noticed yesterday that it seems like 75% of the road noise is coming from the trunk, heck, when I came to a stop, I could hear fuel sloshing around in the gas tank! Its no wonder some guys complain about the drone, when there is zero deadener in the car its almost as bad the the windows down.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I remember the night I got my car and posted here. I drove about 5 miles from the dealer and said to myself WOW this car is niceeee, then I got on the highway and at first I thought the windows werent closed, LOL, then I said to myself, Man this car is noisey on the highway. I added the OEM trunk mat, that helped a tiny bit. I think one day I might get a fatmat and install it.
-bobby
Old 05-31-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
racingray68
racingray

Drives: 1968 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Installed FatMat MegaMat in the trunk to kill a little solo exhaust drone. This butyl mat not only got rid of the 2k drone from the exhaust but made the stereo system sound so much better than before I would have installed just for this ! Tried some other sound deadeners before but they never really much of a difference . Bought 25sqft which was more than enough to line the trunk and side walls.

How did you go around the battery/ compressor area?
racingray68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
hmm gotta try this . thanks
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
Old 05-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingray68 View Post
How did you go around the battery/ compressor area?

fatmat can be cut and shaped/bent/formed around corners and whatnot. and it is an adhesive butyl rubber so it sticks really well to clean surfaces and wont run or get sloppy like the asphalt based deadeners...

stay away from the asphalt deadeners ... they stink and when they get hot they can melt and drop off.

Second Skin is my personal favorite for deadeners but like with everything, thats just a personal choice and what I will be using on the Camaro... I have used the damplifier pro - good stuff but I want to try the spectrum sludge thats a paint-on sound deadener... see how well it works.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
FirstCamaro2k10

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice Metallic Camaro LS
may order me some of this stuff, i could use some for the trunk for sure. May try just doing the Trunk floor fist. How hard is it getting to the sides? where the carpet is.
FirstCamaro2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Very nice. How much did the 25 square feet you purchased weigh? Just curious because I am starting a sub box today and want to keep the added weight in the truck to a minimum.

I am also going to isolate the 6x9" Boston speakers in the truck due to adding a sub.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
I used second skin, damplifier pro. Highly recommend this upgrade. Also when doing this get a pair of glass cutters gloves, they are the cotton gloves that have kevlar on them. The foil on the matt will cut you up.
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro2k10 View Post
may order me some of this stuff, i could use some for the trunk for sure. May try just doing the Trunk floor fist. How hard is it getting to the sides? where the carpet is.
Its a bitch.
I just did the wheel humps and it sucked. Take your time and do it when its cool or have a fan going.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Landshark

Drives: 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post

Think maybe you can post some pics to see how you covered that trunk, and how much 25 sq ft takes up? Thanks................
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
torranosaurus
Banned

Drives: 2010 orange 2SS
Fatmat has 3 types, so which one would be the best for the trunk?
torranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Megamat was the one I chose, It is made of Butyl and then foil backing is not as sharp as others, making this install very easy. After a lot of research on previous cars I found that the Butyl mats were the best. http://www.fatmat.com/bulk/megamat/25.html

Doing the curve surfaces does take time and you should do this when the temperature is in the 70's since it will get very hot in your trunk. Did mine when it was in the low 80's and I was sweating up a storm. But it is a project even a novice could do.

I covered the spare tire well, the floor and back wall in the trunk with 25SQFT. This was suggested by the customer service people. There already is vibration dampening patches on the side walls. I have been very happy with the coverage that was recommended.

I will try and get some pictures this week if I can break away from work