Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #309
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
A couple of quick pics from the track today. Had a blast. The car ran beautifully. Set fastest time in my class in the last session. Got some great video of the last session which I'll edit and post. The car sounded great. Jannetty did a tune for it yesterday and it worked perfectly.

Here's a shot early in the morning when I first got there, and before the driver's meeting.
Name:  IMG_1003.JPG
Views: 1570
Size:  347.1 KB

Here's a shot later in the day.
Name:  IMG_1008.JPG
Views: 1541
Size:  344.0 KB

AutoClub Speedway in Fontana is a really nice track. I'm definitely going back the next chance I get.

Next on the schedule is to get the ZL1 side skirts painted, then install them and the SLP front splitter, as well as the tow hook on the front of the car.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #310
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I wish I would have known there was a track day today. It's been way too long since I got to play on the road course up there. Which configuration were you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #311
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I wish I would have known there was a track day today. It's been way too long since I got to play on the road course up there. Which configuration were you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was the Roval running CCW. A blast to drive. I was hitting 140+ on the main straight. I need more downforce in the front though for turn 1 and 2 coming out of the straight. Hopefully the SLP front splitter will do the trick.

Name:  calspeedrovaltrack.gif.jpeg
Views: 1562
Size:  64.8 KB

I believe there's another event there in August. The Comm's (Rob & Trish) and most of the SoCalC5 gang were running the autocross; I was the only one on the big track. We may be trying to get our own event going though, I think we need at least 25 to sign up.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #312
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
The car looks stunning as usual Thanks for the update.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #313
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a video of a few laps at AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, CA.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #314
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Nice as usual Doc. So you got a remote tune from Jannetty? I guess the tune still wasn't perfect from your cam install? I'm asking because I think mine could use a little clean up as well. I've been back to my tuner twice and for a couple of weeks afterward it's great, but then it gets a little rough again. Did you have to buy an SCT tuner from him and you could actually tell a noticeable difference? TIA.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #315
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Nice as usual Doc. So you got a remote tune from Jannetty? I guess the tune still wasn't perfect from your cam install? I'm asking because I think mine could use a little clean up as well. I've been back to my tuner twice and for a couple of weeks afterward it's great, but then it gets a little rough again. Did you have to buy an SCT tuner from him and you could actually tell a noticeable difference? TIA.
Thanks! Yes I did, and yes there were still issues with my old tune. Jannetty is the real deal. I simply gave him the list of what I had in my car and without anything but that he sent me a "temporary" tune which amazed me how good it was! Solved the idle issue immediately. I did buy the SCT tuner and after some back and forth and sending him datalog files he nailed the tune. And he did it FAST, like within a couple of hours after I sent him the files.

I absolutely could tell the difference. MUCH better idle behavior, better throttle control, more torque on the bottom end and it pulled strong all the way to redline. If you watched the video you can hear how the car sounds; he did a great job.

I also noticed how much better the car started and ran when it was stone cold. If you have money invested in your engine, it's worth it to have a skilled and experienced tuner like Ted tune it for you.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #316
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Went to Willow Springs Raceway last Saturday and ran on Big Willow, the main track. Had a good time but that track is fast and tricky; even the advanced drivers were spinning out. Here's a couple of shots I took with my iphone when I first arrived at around 7:00 a.m.; I'll have a video or two once I get the footage into my computer and edited.

Here it is early just after the sun came up; the weather was clear but cold. I think it was about 40 degrees when I took these. I was the only Camaro out there; it was mostly Japanese and German cars. As you can see I paddocked next to a Ferrari who's owner was a really nice guy.

Attachment 351077

The track goes up the side of a hill and makes for some very tricky corners. It doesn't look like much of an elevation change from here but it's a pretty tight and steep climb up and down those corners you see in the distance.

Attachment 351079

At any rate if the videos turned out okay you'll get to see it.

This was the first time I've had the car on the track since getting the cam and clutch upgrades and the car is VERY responsive at speed. Took me a bit to get used to the increase in power and I never did really feel like I got myself dialed into it properly. I managed to go off the track in turn 9 heading onto the main straight (no damage done except to my pride lol) and quickly discovered you do NOT mash the gas pedal suddenly with this new power; too much too quick. I need to practice better throttle control, and preferably on a flat track. I need to see if Auto Speedway in Fontana is running anything the next few months.

I got to ride around with one of the instructors for some fast laps and he spent half the time trying to keep the back end from coming around; and this was a guy who knew the track and his car like the back of his hand. It's definitely a challenging track.
Hey Doc I see you ran Willow spring how were your times out there?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #317
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Hey Doc I see you ran Willow spring how were your times out there?
I didn't look but I'm sure my times sucked. I was pointing people to pass all the time. The car was so touchy to drive and that course needs good throttle control. The previous tune was like instant turbo; I'd just barely touch the pedal and get a huge gob of power so I was constantly paranoid of the back end coming around and wrecking my car.

This new tune that Jannetty did fixed all that and the throttle response is now smooth and MUCH easier to control. If you watched the video above you can hear the engine accelerating in a very linear fashion which made it a joy to drive. I never once spun or was worried about it; all my attention was on taking the right line and picking up speed around the track.

At Willow when I was in the middle of a corner I'd just barely touch the pedal and the power response felt like I'd mashed it to half throttle. Very nerve-wracking.

There's going to be another Speed Venture event at the Speedway on the Roval in August. I'm definitely going so sign up and join me! It would be cool if we could get some of the SoCal C5 team out there.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #318
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a fun little video of a "follow the instructor" lap that you have to take at Willow Springs if you've never driven on the track before. I didn't get the rest of my day because after this first session I thought I'd turned off my video camera but didn't apparently and wound up filling the rest of my video card with great footage of my car sitting in the pits with the hood open.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #319
Blackhawk6

Drives: Born:18 Sept 2009 #47903
Very nice post Doc
2010 Camaro 2SS________________________________________Litho#140

Blackhawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #320
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Thanks Doc, that's good to hear. But at the same time not so good. That's more money I have to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thanks! Yes I did, and yes there were still issues with my old tune. Jannetty is the real deal. I simply gave him the list of what I had in my car and without anything but that he sent me a "temporary" tune which amazed me how good it was! Solved the idle issue immediately. I did buy the SCT tuner and after some back and forth and sending him datalog files he nailed the tune. And he did it FAST, like within a couple of hours after I sent him the files.

I absolutely could tell the difference. MUCH better idle behavior, better throttle control, more torque on the bottom end and it pulled strong all the way to redline. If you watched the video you can hear how the car sounds; he did a great job.

I also noticed how much better the car started and ran when it was stone cold. If you have money invested in your engine, it's worth it to have a skilled and experienced tuner like Ted tune it for you.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #321
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Thanks Doc, that's good to hear. But at the same time not so good. That's more money I have to spend.
Yeah, I hear ya. But after all the investment I've made I wanted it RIGHT. I wanted to be able to enjoy driving the car. Willow Springs was not enjoyable; AutoClub Speedway was a blast.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #322
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a better quality (720P HD) version of the Autoclub Speedway video for those of you who have a high-speed internet connection. That other video was pretty blurry at full-screen size.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Tags
camaro of the week