Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
SamIyam

Drives: 2010 1SS
Does anyone have an L99 1SS with Automatic Start?

The dealer told me that all SS's with Automatics (L99) have the automatic start... and then I have read on this site that you can get the automatic start for $100 extra...

So, what's ths story?

I'd liek to hear it from someone who actually has a 1SS with an L99 Automatic Transmission and AUTOMATIC START.

Anyone?

Thanks folks!

Sam
SamIyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Hey, I have a SIM 1SS, it does not come with the autostart feature. I talked to my dealer which referred me over to GMPARTSDIRECT.com; you can get the autostart feature added for $100.00 dollars.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Champion51

Drives: '14 ZL1, '10 SS/RS , '06 GMC
No autostart on my 1SS Auto
Champion51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Spooker_Doodles
Z28, Berlin Blue, BLK Int

Drives: 2003 Chevy S10
Already got answered.
Spooker_Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
I think the early ones did not have it, but the later ones do -- so if you order one now, or if it is on the lot now, all automatic transmissions will have the remote start; I'm guessing the $100 is to add the remote start to one of the earlier ones that didn't have it

is that a good guess?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I thought the remote starter was part of the convenience package. And if you got a A6 with that package, you get the remote starter.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIyam View Post
The dealer told me that all SS's with Automatics (L99) have the automatic start... and then I have read on this site that you can get the automatic start for $100 extra...

So, what's ths story?

I'd liek to hear it from someone who actually has a 1SS with an L99 Automatic Transmission and AUTOMATIC START.

Anyone?

Thanks folks!

Sam
There is no such thing as automatic start....

Now if you're talking about remote start, then that is NOT available on the 1SS. It is part of the Convenience and Connectivity package which can NOT be purchased with the 1SS. Whoever told you you can get it for $100 extra is blowing smoke. You're only option is to go aftermarket if you want this.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
why cant it be not be purchased with the 1 ss? i have it on my 1 lt whats the difference?
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofan69 View Post
why cant it be not be purchased with the 1 ss? i have it on my 1 lt whats the difference?
Only GM knows the real reason behind why it can't be added but it's been speculated that they think that the people who buy the 1SS could care less about the options and buy it because they want a SS, similar to how people who buy the LS buy it because they want a Camaro.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
There is no such thing as automatic start....

Now if you're talking about remote start, then that is NOT available on the 1SS. It is part of the Convenience and Connectivity package which can NOT be purchased with the 1SS. Whoever told you you can get it for $100 extra is blowing smoke. You're only option is to go aftermarket if you want this.

that makes sense -- if you buy the automatic AND the C&C package you get the remote start, there are notes about that when you select the options in the on-line configuration tool
Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
2SS with auto gets a remote start, standard equipment.
1SS with auto CANNOT get remote start, not available at all.
2LT with auto gets a remote start, standard equipment.
1LT with auto, WITHOUT C&C package, remote start not available.
1LT with auto, WITH C&C package, remote start included in C&C package
1LS with auto, CANNOT get remote start, not available.

The reason as to why GM opted to go this route with this feature is mind boggling. Remote starters are very popular and easy money. GM has never publicly released any information or reason as to why you can't add a remote start, or why the 1SS couldn't be ordered with the C&C package. They have been asked many times why, no official answer. As for the C&C package not being available in the 1SS, like mentioned before, it is by popular speculation that it was all marketing. People who could afford a 1SS should also be able to afford 2SS, and so if wanted only some of the features from a 2SS you would just have to completely upgrade to the 2SS. GM's way of trapping customers to spend more money and sell more stuff. As for adding remote starts to the unequipped cars, that is still on-going and really hasn't been answered either. Here is my speculation on that... In a 2SS, the remote key fob transmits the remote start signal. This is received by the Keyless Entry Module and an digital message is sent through the car's CAN network to the Body Controller. The BC receives the remote start message, and starts the remote sequence. In a 1SS, the keyfob has no remote start button. Either the 1SS's have a different Keyless entry module is not capable of receiving a remote start signal from a key fob or communicating a remote start message to the Body Controller, and/or, the Body Controller is not capable or not programmed to receiving a remote start message. This hasn't been answered either, because again, no one here really knows. This would be something to ask the GM engineers. So I believe to have a true "Factory" remote start added to a 1SS you would have to have the proper keyless entry module and the proper Body Controller with the proper programming, and of course, a remote start key fob. I think the keyless entry and body control module are the same in all the cars, but the programming is different. I believe the programming cannot be changed at the dealership level at least not at this time anyway because they don't have the proper software and/or training. This is why dealers are no help right now. As for the GM Accessories remote start, that is totally different altogether! What most dealers are referring to is the "Advanced Two-Way Paging" remote start. This is totally different keyfob again with a LCD display screen on that receives info from your car about it's status. To install this I believe it will be $500+ because as it is right now the Camaro doesn't have the capability to transmit information to the keyfob. The Camaro can only recieve from the factory keyfob. To get this 2-way remote start to work they would have to install a new keyless entry module that also transmits information back the keyfob. They would also have to program the car so the Body Controller will properly communicate with the new entry module by accepting the remote start message and communicate the information back again for the feedback display on your remote key fob. Because of the programming issues with getting a factory remote start to work, I believe the 2-way system is encountering the same problems. I think GM engineers can't get it to work as an add-on right now for some reason, maybe because of all the Bankruptcy restructuring, who knows? One last thing for the 2-way system, the 2-way remote start fob will be inaddition to the factory one, meaning you would have to carry around BOTH fobs because the actually key is still part of the factory key fob, this to me is stupid!
Even the factory remote start only runs for 10 mins. You can restart the sequence and add another 10 mins, but if the car is running for 2 mins and you add 10mins it will only run for 12 mins total then the key has to be used. In my area you need at least 15 mins to get any heat in the engine on a cold cold day. So I have to use the remote start twice to get the engine warm? This is also stupid! I really think GM dropped the ball on the whole remote start thing. With temps hitting freezing in Florida right now, I think even they would like that option down there too!!! I mean, seriously, in this day and age, in the year 2009-2010 you can spend $50000, (after taxes, Canadian) on a brand new, computer controlled car and you can't get a factory remote start? That's major BS!!!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
. . . Even the factory remote start only runs for 10 mins . . . . In my area you need at least 15 mins to get any heat in the engine on a cold cold day. So I have to use the remote start twice to get the engine warm? This is also stupid! I really think GM dropped the ball on the whole remote start thing. With temps hitting freezing in Florida right now, I think even they would like that option down there too!!! . . .

They were probably counting on Global Warming; this new Global Cooling trend was totally unexpected!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
SamIyam

Drives: 2010 1SS
Thanks for the responses.

I guess I'll have to get in my car and start it all by myself.

Oh well.

Sam
SamIyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Nicholas
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I think the early ones did not have it, but the later ones do -- so if you order one now, or if it is on the lot now, all automatic transmissions will have the remote start; I'm guessing the $100 is to add the remote start to one of the earlier ones that didn't have it

is that a good guess?

Nope I just got my 1SS new years and they done not come with Auto Start..you must add this feature for an additional $100.00
Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote