Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Adam's Detailed: 2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Sorry if I've been a little absent this week everyone... been in Colorado working with the team on some new products and the labor day sale. Adam, Mario and myself did take the time to tackle this detail, which was fun... its rare all 3 of us get to jump on the same car and combine our skills.

The subject is a 2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS... owned by a friend of the business's wife and used to haul around two young kids, so you can imagine what kind of shape the interior was in. The exterior was a swirled and dirty mess, but we were only aiming for about an 85-90% correction as we knew it would only end up trashed again soon.

The wheels were especially bad, not much washing on the part of the owner, and notoriously dusty imported luxury SUV brakes, led to a lot of caked on brake dust.

So the first order of business was to knock out the interior, I started by removing the weathertech floormats, scrubbing with APC, and leaving out to dry while Mario took on the task of using the Vac N' Blow to get all the dirt and debris off the seats and carpet. Its also great for getting very dusty vents clean with the brush attachment.

I then moved to the leather and worked with our Leather & Interior Cleaner and Interior Brush to get all the "kid gunk" off of the rear seats.

A glass towel and glass cleaner made short work of the haze on the instruments, nav screen, and other assorted clear plastic interior pieces.

Even before applying conditioner the interior was a HUGE improvement.

I took on the Alcantara seats using a light mist of our Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner onto a Waterless Wash Towel, then brushed it back up with a dry interior brush to give it a nice even appearance.

The interior trim plates were in desperate need of some love. I was a little skeptical that it would come up without using the 4" pads... But, I was wrong. All it took was a little Adam's Metal polish applied with a microfiber applicator.

Next was onto protection. The entire interior was wiped down with Leather Conditioner. We had some great results on the black interior of this GTS!

50/50 shot:

All plastic, hard to reach, trim pieces were spray with In and Out Spray.

The black trim pieces had some light scratches from general use, and we treated with some new Brilliant Glaze with and Americana Applicator.

Finalizing the interior Dylan sprayed the weathertech mats with In and Out and lighted wiped them down. Using VRT on these type of mats can get
a little to slippery.

Before the exterior was tackled I hosed down the engine bay of this 400HP rocket.

Then on to a pre-soaking with APC and scrubbed with wheel brush.

Wheel were next on the agenda. Wheel wells and tires we soaked with APC. Wheels and calipers were soaked with Green Wheel Cleaner.

Using the Powerstick, so incredible for getting the inner barrel of the wheels.

Adam joined us for the filming of our new Foam Gun video.

A nice soapy washing.

Car was then dried, and we moved onto claying the entire exterior including the windows.

Paint correction time! We taped off some sections of the quarter panel to test the best process for the correction. We finalized on using the Flex polisher we have been testing with an orange pad with Swirl and Haze, finished with a white pad with Fine Machine Polish

All the exterior trim was treated either Super VRT or In and Out spray

Then a coat of the new Brilliant Glaze was applied to the paint and windows.

At this time it was getting late and all three of us were quite hungry, so we decided to head off to dinner. Adam's wife Mellisa wanted to give the GTS a quick run around the block, as we might be seeing one of these SUV's in Adam and Mellisa's near future...

The next day we pulled the Cayenne into the shop for finishing. All that was left was the exhaust tips were in desperate need of some metal polish, a coat of Americana, Engine dressing with VRT and In and Out, and some final touch ups.

Fine grade steel wool was needed on the exhaust to cut some the really caked on emissions.

And FINALLY the results!

The Crew

Have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend everyone!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Wow! Nice save. Only thing that looked worth a crap in the beginning was the name Porsche.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
hb35man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Aqua Blue Metallic
Way to go! Want to do my car? OK fine...I'll do it myself. I've used your products and am duly impressed .Keep up the good work.
hb35man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Gramps

Drives: 2011 1LT/RJT/Auto/
You applied glaze after the superwax. Interesting.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Looks great, I am starting to become a believer in the brand. I've seen many good things.

One thing-- After you claybar'd the SUV, is that the expected look. (before waxing/ polishing) When I clayed my car (with a different brand) instructions had me use it along with a detail spray, and I didn't really have that look left over.

Did I do it wrong, or is that a different way of doing it?
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
You applied glaze after the superwax. Interesting.
No. Where did you see that? The paint was corrected using a 2 stage - swirl & haze + orange pad, followed by Fine Machine Polish + white pad. Afterwards it was glazed, then topped with Americana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
Looks great, I am starting to become a believer in the brand. I've seen many good things.

One thing-- After you claybar'd the SUV, is that the expected look. (before waxing/ polishing) When I clayed my car (with a different brand) instructions had me use it along with a detail spray, and I didn't really have that look left over.

Did I do it wrong, or is that a different way of doing it?
I assume you mean this?

Thats a pretty normal look post claying... the detail spray or lubricant will dry and leave residue behind. I can't speak to all other brands, but pretty much everything I've ever used resembles that after just claying before the paint is washed and polished.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
I'm thinking the "other" brand is megs, they supply a mft to wipe with after claying, you guys obviously don't try to wipe it.......
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Now I am second guessing how I did it..

I think I washed/dried/ clayed/ waxed

but it sounds like you rewash after claying.. before waxing/ polishing, sealing all the other various detail steps that are available.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
I'm thinking the "other" brand is megs, they supply a mft to wipe with after claying, you guys obviously don't try to wipe it.......
Wasted effort IMO... you're going to be potentially rewashing the vehicle, and at the very least polishing and waxing after the claybar steps, why worry about removing a residue that will be removed during those processes?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks great
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Wasted effort IMO... you're going to be potentially rewashing the vehicle, and at the very least polishing and waxing after the claybar steps, why worry about removing a residue that will be removed during those processes?

I agree......
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
WOW.... Now that is quite the transformation!!!

What's this Labor Day sale you speak of???
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
WOW.... Now that is quite the transformation!!!

What's this Labor Day sale you speak of???
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103997
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
The million dollar question... How many man hours did that take?

J
Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote