Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Oil Catch Can questions

Hi Guys,

I searched some catch can topics online, trying to better understand it all, but there are some things that are not quite clear to me yet. Would most of you say it's money well spent? I've been driving 3000 miles without one, I drive it hard sometimes, but I haven't tracked the car. Should I bother getting one?

Also, I see that the catchcan is catching oil from the passenger side. I had always thought the catch can was supposed to catch the oil from the PCV hose going into the intake tube. So, would i need 2 catch cans? =o

Finally, who do I contact if I wanted to buy one? =p

Thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Search Catch Can.............lots of threads to read. Thinking about getting one myself and install it over the winter.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=catch&page=4

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=catch

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=catch

And lastly for some more good reading on the subject of oil in the intakes.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112152
Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
jagan323
I have no life

Yeah, i've actually seen most of those threads, thanks for taking the time to paste them lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Yeah, i've actually seen most of those threads, thanks for taking the time to paste them lol.
Wow, that's gratitude for you!

If you read them you would know the purpose and hopefully be able to make an educated decision. But if you just need somebody to tell you what to do, then YES! Well worth it. Jordan at JDP Motorsports sells the Elite Engineering Catch can that I run. Clean install and quality craftsmanship!

1-888-308-6007 or Jordan@jdpmotorsports.com
Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Gotta gree w/you.....don't follow what he's looking for, definatley not what he asked for in the post it appears!
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
KKJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a catch can from elite engineering. It is a great piece. I do not drive my car hard at all, and it still catches oil. I think it is a good investment.
KKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
raulss

Drives: 99CamaroSS 2010 Camaro SS/RS LPE600
It's not needed don't waste your time and money. Are you burning oil? Probably not, if you think it's needed that badly don't you think the car companies would put them in.
Brembo LPE 6-piston calipers, 2-piece racing brake rotors
Pfadt coilovers, sway bars, rear trailing arms, subframe mounts,
Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, & Proven wicked endlinks
MGW Shifter, ADM boost gauge LPE aluminum coil covers,
LPE Billet Pedals, LPE front floor mats and trunk mat.

Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
raulss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I searched some catch can topics online, trying to better understand it all, but there are some things that are not quite clear to me yet. Would most of you say it's money well spent? I've been driving 3000 miles without one, I drive it hard sometimes, but I haven't tracked the car. Should I bother getting one?

Also, I see that the catchcan is catching oil from the passenger side. I had always thought the catch can was supposed to catch the oil from the PCV hose going into the intake tube. So, would i need 2 catch cans? =o

Finally, who do I contact if I wanted to buy one? =p

Thanks guys!
I got mine from Mike Norris (member). SC2150 also sales a nice one (posted above). Mine is catching quite a bit of oil that would have eventually have ended up producing buildup on the valves and such. I think it is worth it. The are a little over $100, so you have to decide if that's how you want to spend your money. If you do decide it is worth it, just PM either of the guys above and they can set you up.

As for the side, our engines have a "dirty" side that evacuates the crankcase into the intake manifold on the pass. side. The right side that connects to your Injen is the "clean" side that pulls filtered air in. It would not normally allow oil to come out. I'm not sure if anyone know why it seems to do that on some of our cars. If yours is one that does (just pull the CAI off to see), you may want to get two. I think both of the guys mentioned above are working on fitment for the "clean" side can.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulss View Post
It's not needed don't waste your time and money. Are you burning oil? Probably not, if you think it's needed that badly don't you think the car companies would put them in.
You GOTTA be joking, right? Just like they would have tuned your car for the best performance/economy, or would have put LPE parts on from the factory....or a CAI, or.....the list is long.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I got mine from Mike Norris (member). SC2150 also sales a nice one (posted above). Mine is catching quite a bit of oil that would have eventually have ended up producing buildup on the valves and such. I think it is worth it. The are a little over $100, so you have to decide if that's how you want to spend your money. If you do decide it is worth it, just PM either of the guys above and they can set you up.

As for the side, our engines have a "dirty" side that evacuates the crankcase into the intake manifold on the pass. side. The right side that connects to your Injen is the "clean" side that pulls filtered air in. It would not normally allow oil to come out. I'm not sure if anyone know why it seems to do that on some of our cars. If yours is one that does (just pull the CAI off to see), you may want to get two. I think both of the guys mentioned above are working on fitment for the "clean" side can.
THanks for that excellent explaination. As a oil catch can user, about how many miles would it take to fill up the can? I guess people clean it everytime you oil change?

Also, thanks for all the other comments as well. I live in Canada, so I hope the prices won't be too high for S&H...@_@. I kind of like the look of the RX ones, but im not sure if they all function the same. If its pretty much the same I guess i'd be going for whichever is cheapest =p
Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
THanks for that excellent explaination. As a oil catch can user, about how many miles would it take to fill up the can? I guess people clean it everytime you oil change?

Also, thanks for all the other comments as well. I live in Canada, so I hope the prices won't be too high for S&H...@_@. I kind of like the look of the RX ones, but im not sure if they all function the same. If its pretty much the same I guess i'd be going for whichever is cheapest =p
I've only had mine for about 1000 miles before draining and it had about an ounce in it. That included about 8 hard pulls for logging and 12 pulls on a dyno, so I would guess it would normally be less than that. I don't think you are in much danger of filling one up with normal driving and changing your oil every 3-5000 miles and drain it at that time. I think SC2150 said that Mike Norris catches more oil than his, but they both seem to do the job. Those differences could simply be within the margin of error, so just PM them both and see which one is the cheapest.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
I've only had mine for about 1000 miles before draining and it had about an ounce in it. That included about 8 hard pulls for logging and 12 pulls on a dyno, so I would guess it would normally be less than that. I don't think you are in much danger of filling one up with normal driving and changing your oil every 3-5000 miles and drain it at that time. I think SC2150 said that Mike Norris catches more oil than his, but they both seem to do the job. Those differences could simply be within the margin of error, so just PM them both and see which one is the cheapest.
The Mike Norris/CCA can is an excellent can, but is not more funcional in testing. It did rank very close to the Saiku Micchi & RX can in ability to catch almost all oil w/out letting any through like the smaller media cans did. I would not hesitate to buy his as for most mildly modded cars it will do every bit as good of a job as the RX or Saiku Micchi. And if cleaned & emptied on a regular basis the others brands that are vendors here will do the job for most as well.

The most important part in selecting a can is NOT the appearance, but the actual function. You can go on EBay and see some awesome looking ones that let mnearly as much through as they catch....junk.

The RX can is the only one on the market with the integrated positive closing checkvalves that also meter the correct amount of flow for the LS motors.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The Mike Norris/CCA can is an excellent can, but is not more funcional in testing. It did rank very close to the Saiku Micchi & RX can in ability to catch almost all oil w/out letting any through like the smaller media cans did. I would not hesitate to buy his as for most mildly modded cars it will do every bit as good of a job as the RX or Saiku Micchi. And if cleaned & emptied on a regular basis the others brands that are vendors here will do the job for most as well.

The most important part in selecting a can is NOT the appearance, but the actual function. You can go on EBay and see some awesome looking ones that let mnearly as much through as they catch....junk.

The RX can is the only one on the market with the integrated positive closing checkvalves that also meter the correct amount of flow for the LS motors.
Thanks for clearing up the confusion about the differences.

Jagan323 -- Just save up for a while and get a good one. The amount of oil you will get in the next month or two won't be enough to "go cheap" and only partially fix the problem.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

PM Sent =D

Quote:
Thanks for clearing up the confusion about the differences.

Jagan323 -- Just save up for a while and get a good one. The amount of oil you will get in the next month or two won't be enough to "go cheap" and only partially fix the problem.
Thanks a lot for your help. You were very patient with my questions lol. And yeah, I think the price SC2150 gave is fair. They are all about 10 dollars +/- in difference anyway.