Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #113
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsap05 View Post
sigh

Why dont they just make the dam car lighter. The power is already there it just needs less weight.
Because that would be VERY expensive to do on this platform. Adding power would be much easier and cheaper. Keep in mind they are moving to the lighter, smaller alpha platform for 2014 so to do a major overhaul on this one (when it's selling very well) would be a waste.

Also raiding the performance parts bin wont cut it. Everything would need to be certified and go through the government and EPA testing. There's a reason why most of the parts say "off road use only".

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #114
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
Because shorter gearing does not give your car any more power. It just kills your fuel economy.

A car that has 430HP will have 430HP whether you have 3.42's or 5.13's. Meaning it will not accelerate any harder with the shorter gears.

All shorter gears do is help you get off the line harder and into the powerband. Thats how it improves ET's. Once the car is in the powerband though, it will not be any faster. That would be physically impossible.

So unless you launch your car on slicks at every stoplight, shorter gears would be nothing but a downgrade.
Your last statement is not true. Shorter gears will cause your car to accelerate faster until it reaches its top speed. They work from a stop or from a roll. Its not more HP, its mechanical advantage.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #115
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
Because shorter gearing does not give your car any more power. It just kills your fuel economy.

A car that has 430HP will have 430HP whether you have 3.42's or 5.13's. Meaning it will not accelerate any harder with the shorter gears.

All shorter gears do is help you get off the line harder and into the powerband. Thats how it improves ET's. Once the car is in the powerband though, it will not be any faster. That would be physically impossible.

So unless you launch your car on slicks at every stoplight, shorter gears would be nothing but a downgrade.
Yes I know what shorter gearing does. Of course it does not add any engine power. Just better transfer of torque. But I don't see any other reason for a power upgrade other than getting better 0 - 60 times and better quarter mile times right?

So the correct gear ratio will also accomplish that.

If your saying lower gears are not better for performance, why is everyone wanting 3.73s and 4.10s? I know that going lower and lower for gearing doesn't necessarily mean faster, but if thought out correctly, it would help times. For instance, 3.55s on the V6 would equate to 3rd gear toping out right at or above 100 MPH. That means no need for a shift into 4th, and lower gearing = better 1/4 mile times on a stock car.

And I still stick with the idea that GM can still advertise the same MPG ratings. (with its standard gear ratio)

Last edited by KMPrenger; 10-24-2010 at 11:05 PM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #116
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
This would make the second major change coming to the 2012 Camaros, in addition to the expected revamped and improved interior.
Maybe I am missing something but is there even a first major change? Unless it's the Z/28.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #117
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Yes I know what shorter gearing does. Of course it does not add any engine power. Just better transfer of torque. But I don't see any other reason for a power upgrade other than getting better 0 - 60 times and better quarter mile times right?

So the correct gear ratio will also accomplish that.

If your saying lower gears are not better for performance, why is everyone wanting 3.73s and 4.10s? I know that going lower and lower for gearing doesn't necessarily mean faster, but if thought out correctly, it would help times. For instance, 3.55s on the V6 would equate to 3rd gear toping out right at or above 100 MPH. That means no need for a shift into 4th, and lower gearing = better 1/4 mile times on a stock car.

And I still stick with the idea that GM can still advertise the same MPG ratings. (with its standard gear ratio)
Changing the gearing essentially only changes on either having quicker acceleration or higher top end. But I would say that the Mustangs do have better gearing for overall street performance.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #118
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmicasa the Great XvX View Post
And that's with the CamaroSS weighing 200lbs more. Can anyone tell me how much the hood and truck weigh.. and whether a carbon fiber replacement would be worth the change in weight?
Hood is aluminum. You're not going to shave any weight there.
Trunk could do with a pound or two less.
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #119
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Gen V with D.I.?
seriously... This... It is so obvious. Also isn't Gm working on 8 spd transmissions??
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #120
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
Wow I love all this speculation. Now here are questions I pose to myself and hopefully some people can answer reasonably.

1. How much weight would be saved going from the 6.2L to the new 5.5L (aluminum block right?) from just switching out engines?

2. Why not give the V6 the 3.0L LF3 engine! GM's got the engine, hopefully, they are just finishing up testing it.
none whatsoever, since it is still a smallblock v8. the Ls7 weighs the same as the ls3.

edit: GM's 5.5 v8 is the 6.2 block with the crank of the 4.8.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:51 AM   #121
TMoneySS

Drives: 2007 Shelby GT500
My guess would be ECM tune and possibly higher flowing cats, maybe from 4 to 2 cats and even possibly a slightly more aggressive cam. Also changing the gearing would help with the quarter, yes, but that doesn't increase the HP which is what is stated in the OP. Its really hard to say what the future holds for the 2012 Camaro SS! Im glad I decided to wait till 2012.

Last edited by TMoneySS; 12-30-2010 at 06:48 PM.
TMoneySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #122
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
OMG all these power increases and such making me wanna wait. Was going to trade in my V6 for 2010 SS or 11. Now i'm going to wait.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #123
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
This is awesome! However, folks there may be a few problems with your solutions. A gearing change would likely result in lower fuel economy all around. If it drops too low you will have to pay a GG tax. You have to pay to play.

My guess is a revised intake, tune and exhaust system.

Also, one thing about that C&D test? They tested another Mustang with the summer tires (not the "all season" tires) and it ran a 13.0 flat at 111. Basically they picked the slower time of the two. The Mustang simply has an advantage in most cases, lighter with just as much power to the wheels.
There is a loophole in the system that allows manufacturers to rate all vehicles the same mpg as long as the engine and trans are the same. You can use your highway gear model on the more efficient wheel/tire package for EPA testing and then give the magazines the 3.73 model with stickier rubber for testing. In fact, this is exactly what Ford did. Notice all the V8 M6 models are rated the same regardless of gear ratio?

Oh and power under the curve is what matters, so even if the Mustang puts out a similar PEAK power (at higher rpm) at the wheels, it is obviously not putting out equivalent average power or the SS wouldn't even stand a chance.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #124
alrox

Drives: corvette
This rumor reeks of internet forum posters. The rumor of the horsepower bump because of the fact that 5.0 Mustangs are faster in the 1/4 mile is false.

Unless Chevy proves that they are the same old financially stupid company as years past, they will not bump the power in the Camaro before the Corvette. It makes no sense to change the engine in the Corvette now. It also makes no financial sense to change the interior of the Camaro in its 3rd MY run. The cost of changing and retooling is not a smart move when there is no need. They need to refresh the car in 5 year runs like the Mustang in order to make a profit.

Also, Mustang versus Camaro facts.

Both transmission V6 Mustang's are faster than any V6 Camaro.

Automatic 5.0 is faster than L99 Camaro.

Automatic 5.0 is faster than LS3 Camaro.

6 speed manual versus 5.0 versus LS3 Camaro is very close and comes down to driver skill.

Overall, the Mustang is the faster car. Anyone who chooses to use 1 specific test to 'prove' the Camaro is faster and disregard all other heads up results is a GM shill.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #125
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
Ok f**k that! I would feel ripped off if they increase the hp on the ss
Well don't go buying any desktop or laptop computer because you are going to feel ripped off 6 months later. Seriously, products should improve year over year and should get better. That needs to be encouraged these days...

Last edited by radz28; 10-25-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: quote with profanity
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #126
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Gen V with D.I.?
Possibly but I think that engine will debut in the vette at least 1 year before the camaro gets it (as did the L98, LT1, LS1 and LS3). If the vette gets the new engine in 2012 then the camaro won't get it until 2013.

They will more than likely give the LS3/L99 a nice send-off by giving it a better tune and better camshaft profile. As many have indicated already, the current factory tune is inefficient. I'm getting tired of wiping all the black soot off the back of my car from the unburned fuel.