Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #225
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Ok, here are some figures that should be followed. For what is reffered to as maintenance, that is to stay where you are you would need to eat 2200 cals per day. For weight loss(1-2lbs weekely) you will need to eat 1700 cals per day. This is a starting point, if you honestly follow your caloric needs it will most likely work, if not we can then make adjustments, this is your base line dyno run lol.

If you eat 5 meals a day(you should be) that means 340 cals per meal

From that 340 cals per meal you should eat a 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat this is pretty much a good starting point for weight loss.

When all the math is done the following are the 3 most important #'s that you should be concerned with

35 g carbs
35 g protein
8 g fat These are per meal numbers

Each meal you eat should contain the above amount of each, some meals will not meet the numbers but that's ok as long as the total daily amount is close but you should try to eat a little of all three with each meal.

This is a food chart that gives the values for a wide variety of foods that should be on your "good to eat list"

Now from the list above pick an item from each category that meet the numbers above. For example we are going to do chicken for lunch, that's our protein source so a 4 oz chicken breast is 35 g protein and 5 g fat, your protein needs have been met so now pick a carb source, let's use sweet potatoes, 4 oz of sweet potatoes is 32g carbs and 2 g protein so now your protein and carbs are pretty much covered but crap, that's not enough food for my lunch so you are a little shy on carbs so pick another carb source but NOT a complex carm, pick a fiberous one like 1 cup broccoli which has 4 g protein and 8 g carbs. Some values are over and some are under but as long as the daily totals are close all is good.

Now when you cook you can and should use spices, usually no cal count and other oils sauces whatever but you must consider their calories into the pic. So if you add just 1 tabelspoon of butter on your broccoli you just added 7 g of fat and 100 cals to your meal, now you blew it, and on top of it all it's SATURATED FAT, a killer.

This is where most people screw up big time, it's just a little butter, or one piece of chocholate or a little bit of popcorn, I bring this up because if you look at the label you posted you will see that the popcorn that you thought wasn't bad screwed everything up, it has 140 cals almost half of what a full meal has, look at the fat and carb content of it. 8 g fat, 18 carbs that's all of your fat intake for a full meal and half the carbs of a full meal and what nutrient value does it have, almost none, it's like putting water in your gas tank. Pretty bad huh, well now check this out, it has 8 G SUGAR , although not a fat on an ingredient label, and by the way, that's a lot of sugar, it will be a fat on your butt after you eat it. Let me ask a question, would you put 8 heaping teaspoons of sugar in your coffee, because that's what is in your popcorn

So many people who try to be accountable and eat right have a good idea of how many cals they eat with their main foods but have no idea how many cals are in those little things and they add up so by the end of the day a little coffee creamer, 1 tsp sugar in the coffee, one lowsy piece of chocolate, a little popcorn and a bit of salad dressing just doubled your calorie intake for the whole day and it's not like it was something useful, it was fat and sugar, ever wonder why your weight hasn't changed in 3-4 years, it's those little thing you thought were ok, THEY ARE NOT OK.

Look at it like buying a car(you can relate to this lol) you have your sticker price all is cool, then they hit you with destination costs, dealer prep, taxes delivery charges whatever the car is your meal the rest is your condiments lol

You have to change your thought process and look at the big picture and THEN you will succeed.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #226
CFD

Now, let's tear appart salad dressings and nutrient labels in general. We will use the "FAT FREE" ranch below. It's fat free so it can't be to bad right, BULL SHIT, it sucks so bad, let's take a look.

30 cals
6 carbs
0 fat
3 g sugar

OOPS, I appologize, it's not that bad, like I said " BULL SHIT" LOOK AT THE INGREDIENT LIST

All items on an ingredient list lists the largest quantity of the ingredients first ( it's federal law)

1st water (one for the good guys)

2nd corn syrup ( PURE SUGAR)

3rd Maltidexterine (super high glycemic sugar)

4th sugar (no expanation needed)

5th modified corn starch ( you guessed it MORE SUGAR)

6th Buttermilk (fat)

7th salt

BUT, BUT, BUT you say, IT'S ONLY 30 CALORIES, well your right, it is only 30 calories IN THE BOTTLE. all that sugar completely screws up your metabloism and weight loss goals. Sugar drastically raises your insulin levels, you cannot burn fat with elevated insulin, period. When you eat sugar and fat it is almost guarenteed to turn into fat. This has a drastic effect on your metabolism, the whole idea behind eating healthy balanced meals 5 times a day is to provide adequate nutrients for your body to use and keep your insulin levels steady, that salad dressing just ruined your strategy completely as did the popcorn and piece of chocolate. I know it didn't seem like a big deal when you ate it but it is.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #227
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Thanks CFD. I have cut and pasted this so I can
print and carry it with me. I won't be perfect, but
it's a road map I can use. With time, I'll understand
and be better at "knowing" what I should be eating.

I'll be on my way..................

Still would like to post meals just because
it does make me think before I eat something.
Thanks again for taking the time.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #228
CFD

Now if you go to the recipie book, for example, you will see that all the recipies have many ingredients, so you don't have to eat a little piece of chicken, a small portion of sweet potatoes and broccoli (but it would be great nutritionally although quite boring) but you will see that you can combine healthy foods and get all the flavors, colors and smells that make eating enjoyable while keeping it healthy and balanced. The recipies give all the breakdowns in nutrients, some have higher carbs, some higher proteins and some higher fats than your requirements so for your first meal you may pich a little higher carb content( most likely to get burned off during daily activities and exercise) so the next meal might be higher in protein and simple carbs (great for pre-post workout. Towards the end of the day try to eat meals with lower carb counts and higher protein, moderate fats. Say grilled chicken salad or Salmon and asparagus, in other words proteins and fiberous carbs.

Also when I say eat fat's we mean healthy fat's Mono and poly unsaturated fats, like olive oil, avacardo, salmon, nuts etc.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #229
CFD

It's a learning process but I will tell you something, if you honestly started eating clean, after a while (short while at that) the taste of fast foods, high fat content and high sugar content foods won't be so appealing and your body will no longer be addicted to them, because in fact they are addicting and THAT IS WHAT THE FOOD INDUSTRY WANTS, otherwise they would be out of business, not a conspiracy theory, a fact.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #230
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Very good info. Thanks!
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #231
CFD

Hi everyone. I was preparing some of my foods for the week and thought of something that may make the recipie bellow a little easier, no big deal but I remember when I started making these it was trial and error getting proportions right. If you do as I recomended and double the recipie, you will the make 3 pancackes instead of two, this will bring the calorie count down a little. This is the useful part, when the batter is mixed each pancacke will be one full cups worth. That should give you 3 equal servings.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #232
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Let me ask everyone a question. I am a STRESS EATER. How can I break that cycle? I have a 17 year old son who at times is an angel (my co-builder of old cars) and other times the biggest jerk alive (like today). All I can think about right now as a double Big Mac, large fries and a chocolate shake all washed down with a good heavy Hefeweizen!!!!

I know it is horrible for me, and I can resist all but maybe the beer. But how can I reprogram my brain so that I don't want to eat the teenage years away!

I managed to get through the afternoon driving my 1954 Chevy 3100 with the 454 in it, but that gets expensive. 60 minutes of driving = 10 gallons of gas.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #233
CFD

Believe me, I know all about stress eating. I was between 165 and 175 since the time I was a teenager untill I went through a divorce, in a matter of two years I went up to 235 all from stress eating, that's when I started working out. that became my new stress release. Even now if I get stressed to the point where I head for the fridge or even worse my son's snacks, yeah it happens to me too, I honestly can resist the junk and grab an apple or something and it is quite satisfying as I don't usually eat anything sweet and an apple seems so sweet to me it does the trick. By the time I finish I can think straight again. If that doesn't work I put on the gloves and beat the crap out of my heavybag LOL
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #234
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Well I ran 4 miles today at 6.5mph... therefore successfully burned .72X245X4 = 705 calories in roughly 37 minutes.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #235
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Well I ran 4 miles today at 6.5mph... therefore successfully burned .72X245X4 = 705 calories in roughly 37 minutes.

Now I feel guilty, I did nothing lol

Actually I workout 6 days a week, Sunday is my day off.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #236
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Now I feel guilty, I did nothing lol

Actually I workout 6 days a week, Sunday is my day off.

Lol dont feel bad... I am actually just building up a base mileage per week. So I run around 4 per day to get to roughly 28-30 miles weekly
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #237
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
So here's today's breakdown:

BB breakfast frittata
7 whole eggs
diced ham (8oz)
spinach (1 cup cooked)
Mushooms (1 cup cooked)
Onion (1/4 cup)
Olive oil (3 tbsp)
1263 calories 32 carbs 96 protein 87 fat / 6 portions
210 cal 5 carbs 16 protein 14 fat

banana 105 cal 27 carbs 1 protein 1 fat

8oz strip steak
asparagus baked with olive oil and parmesan cheese (20 stalks)

493 cal 12 carbs 34 protein 34 fat

that came up when I scanned the bar code. The ingredients
show oats, oat bran, wheat germ, flax seed, sunflower,
whey protein, sesame seeds, cinnamon, tofu, honey, peanut
butter, chocolate chips, dried cranberries and shredded
coconut. I have a hard time with "0" carbs, looks to me
like there are some.

I have a few questions now that I'm looking at this. When
looking at carbs, are they net carbs? Carbs - dietary fiber
for a net? Is the fat count total fat? Saturated, mono, poly
and trans? You might be sorry I'm paying attention because
I'll end up with alot of questions? Olive oil looks like it adds
alot of calories, but it's preferable to butter. Am I missing
something? I used it to cook the asparagus and the stuff
that went into the frittata. Is that good?

As always, your guidence is appreciated.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #238
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
So here's today's breakdown:

BB breakfast frittata
7 whole eggs
diced ham (8oz)
spinach (1 cup cooked)
Mushooms (1 cup cooked)
Onion (1/4 cup)
Olive oil (3 tbsp)
1263 calories 32 carbs 96 protein 87 fat / 6 portions
210 cal 5 carbs 16 protein 14 fat

banana 105 cal 27 carbs 1 protein 1 fat

8oz strip steak
asparagus baked with olive oil and parmesan cheese (20 stalks)

493 cal 12 carbs 34 protein 34 fat

that came up when I scanned the bar code. The ingredients
show oats, oat bran, wheat germ, flax seed, sunflower,
whey protein, sesame seeds, cinnamon, tofu, honey, peanut
butter, chocolate chips, dried cranberries and shredded
coconut. I have a hard time with "0" carbs, looks to me
like there are some.

I have a few questions now that I'm looking at this. When
looking at carbs, are they net carbs? Carbs - dietary fiber
for a net? Is the fat count total fat? Saturated, mono, poly
and trans? You might be sorry I'm paying attention because
I'll end up with alot of questions? Olive oil looks like it adds
alot of calories, but it's preferable to butter. Am I missing
something? I used it to cook the asparagus and the stuff
that went into the frittata. Is that good?

As always, your guidence is appreciated.
The thing that jumps out right away is the fat content is quite high. On the first recipie use 1 or 2 whole eggs, make the rest whites only then that one will be good.

Fat count is total fat, you should try for only monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, they are the "good fats" ALWAYS AVOID TRANS FATS and limit saturated fats as much as possible,there are some saturated fats in good protein sources so they cannot be completely eliminated.

When it comes to carbs don't be concerned with net carbs and sudstracting fiber and all that, look at the total carb count.

The protein bars breakdown is just wrong. The first 2 ingredients are oats, although a very good complex carb source oats are high in carbs so I have no problem with them being in the bars but how on earth can they say o carbs, not possible plus many of the other ingredients have carbs, something's not right. Also the fat content is much to high, one serving has a whole days worth of fat.

In the recipie book there are I believe two recipies for protein bars that are pretty good, you might want to look at them as an alternative and notice the fat content, much much lower.

Technicaly you could eat all your fat in one meal but is far from optimal but then there is no room for fat in any other meals, not very realistic.

Olive oil is a good fat but fats are very calorie dense so when applicable try substituting it with an olive oil based cooking spray.

Ask all you want lol.

Oh by the way, a typical serving of steak would be about 4-5 oz and asparagus would be about 10 spears.