Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #29
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
WOW! That's pretty darned good. I do have a few questions for you, however, will which hopefully fill in the blanks, please.

1. Which plan did you purchase? The "Major Guard" or the "Value Guard"?

2. From whom did you purchase your GMPP? Through the gmppdirect.com website / speak directly with the rep. or did you purchase your GMPP through your / a dealer?

3. Do you have a deductible? If so, what amount?

4. Did you negotiate the price you paid down from X $?

I only have 4,400 miles on mine and the gmppdirect.com site is quoting me $1246 for 48 months / 32k miles for the "Major Guard" plan.

The quote for the "Value Guard, for 48 months / 32k miles is $1091 (both quotes are for a 0$ deductible and INCLUDE sales tax). See the screen shot below.

Of course, I haven't yet attempted to negotiate with either gmppdirect or a dealer, but I for one, and I'm confident others here, may be very interested in this.

Would appreciate your further insight.
The link is below. Don't be afraid to enter email address, etc; it's legit. I went with the major guard, but did elect the $200 deduct. Probably why it is less expensive. Now remember me kindly for this. IF your car is over 12 month old, the same plan you want is at www.gmoutlet.com for $400 less. There is no negotiating necessary and they will send you an email link to ALL the plans and prices available. There is a "bonus" discount on the "order form" page, AND you can call the "place" and talk to someone in person should you have questions.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
Well I have never had a single issue with my top,its been perfect from day one,but its a good idea to get a extended warranty just in case at that $
Just remember, the GMPP will NOT cover the fabric top itself and there is some debate about the mechanism as well. Only a component coverage letter directly from GM will take care of the fabric top.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I have never bought an extended warranty on a car that I bought new. But I have on used cars I have bought and they usually paid for themselves. I did buy a 3 year extended warranty on the Saturn Vue I bought but in 2 years I have not needed it.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #32
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
And I forgot to mention that warranty paid for itself on our 2000 Mercedes. Rear wheel bearing blew the day I sold it ($1,750), fortunately the buyer had not yet changed the title to his name.

Pony, thanks for your very helpful info! If an extended warranty can be had for only $700, maybe it's worth it. I still have a couple of months to decide.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #33
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I am rolling the dice as my car is not a DD. There is no 5th bow recall in Canada according to my dealer. The roof mechanism is not covered and the $2500 for the GMPP is not worth it.
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #34
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
The link is below. Don't be afraid to enter email address, etc; it's legit. I went with the major guard, but did elect the $200 deduct. Probably why it is less expensive. Now remember me kindly for this. IF your car is over 12 month old, the same plan you want is at www.gmoutlet.com for $400 less. There is no negotiating necessary and they will send you an email link to ALL the plans and prices available. There is a "bonus" discount on the "order form" page, AND you can call the "place" and talk to someone in person should you have questions.
Thank you very much. I'll be checking them out today, even though I don't plan on purchasing a plan until the summer. Will share my experience(s) as they develop.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #35
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Thank you very much. I'll be checking them out today, even though I don't plan on purchasing a plan until the summer. Will share my experience(s) as they develop.
Baba, sounds good. Looking forward to hearing about your experience, I have to decide before 6/1/2014. If it's $2,500 then will not get it, under $1,000 then maybe. Will need to perform a cost-benefit analysis based on projected miles, incidence of repairs, and cost of those repairs.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #36
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Baba, sounds good. Looking forward to hearing about your experience, I have to decide before 6/1/2014. If it's $2,500 then will not get it, under $1,000 then maybe. Will need to perform a cost-benefit analysis based on projected miles, incidence of repairs, and cost of those repairs.
I didn't have enough time during work to call them today. I'm confident I'll get around to it within the next week or two.

I'm due by July 30th. I'm not entirely certain what I'll do but I'm leaning heavily toward purchasing the GMPP for the most time and miles that I can. Then again, although I really don't like the 14's front or rear, the thought of an SS or ZL1 'vert is awfully, awfully enticing.
3 Pedals

Old 03-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #37
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
I still haven't followed up with them. Not that I've forgotten, just not in a big hurry yet as I still have 4 months of bumper to bumper left. Will investigate within the next month or two.
3 Pedals

Old 03-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #38
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Update on my earlier post. I think I jinxed myself because last Wednesday the transmission in my Vue started acting up. I went by the dealership Thursday and it will be covered. I take it in on Monday. I had purchased a 3 year 36k GMPP warranty for $1400. It's good through 1/31/2015 or 78,000 miles whichever comes first.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #39
Ramblewood98

Drives: 12' 2LT RS Rally Yellow 'vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by meSSohappy View Post
I am rolling the dice as my car is not a DD. There is no 5th bow recall in Canada according to my dealer. The roof mechanism is not covered and the $2500 for the GMPP is not worth it.
Is there a 5th bow recall I the states?
Ramblewood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #40
Ramblewood98

Drives: 12' 2LT RS Rally Yellow 'vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandron263 View Post
I think Pony is correct in his reply. For me it was easy to get I asked the service manager at my dealer and he put in the request with GM for me and I got the letter in the mail a few days later. I got it on the first request now my dealer Paddock Chevrolet is one of the larger volume dealers in the country so that may have helped in the process. I have to give credit to their service department as well they have always tried to do right by me for any work I had done there.
Was your request made on a replacement top or your original factory top. If I can get a letter like that for my factory top(as yet no problems) that would be great
Ramblewood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #41
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Mine is on the original top. I have only had the fifth bow replaced twice. I still have my original canvas and water bag. The last time the bow was replaced was about a year ago. No issues since then.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #42
Baba

I know I'm cross-posting here and in the 5th bow issue for the third time!! thread, but as both contain posts regarding what is or is not covered by a GMPP extended warranty, I thought I'd post in both.

Despite having spoken with a GMPP representative last week about what, specifically, the GMPP covers in reference to our 5th Gen. Camaro Convertible tops, and despite having been assured that everything except the actual cloth or vinyl top would be covered, the uncertainty of everyone involved in any "reply department", including several different documents stating certain parts of the convertible top either are or are not covered, in conflict to what was explained to me by the GMPP rep., has started me thinking in the direction of divesting myself of my 'vert this Summer.

Once my 'vert is out of warranty, my choices are to either battle GM to repair the top or at least for assistance in repairing (a) KNOWN problem(s) with 2011 / early 2012 MY convertible tops or, pay for the repairs myself. I don't want to pay a couple of grand to repair a problem only for another problem to arise (such as being told the top or 5th bow repair / replacement had no bearing on the water management bags leaking).

In order to sell my 'vert once a top problem develops, I'd have to pay (what I'm confident would amount to a healthy sum) for repairs out of pocket or let it go as-is. The car only has 4,500 miles on it. Either way, I'd be taking a loss.

The ambiguity and inability / unwillingness of everyone who is able to provide a reply to this issue is not inspiring my confidence and it's beginning to look like too much of a risk, to me, at least.

Sometimes it's better to cut ones losses before they continue to grow larger.
3 Pedals

Last edited by Baba; 04-13-2014 at 06:36 AM.