Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #43
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrighty Then View Post
That looks really cool, first I thought it would be cool to get a HID kit and I read through all your posts on that. Then I found this stuff about projector retrofits--something I had never heard of. Anyway, a few hours later and now I know what I'm saving up for haha. Cool car man.
No problem....I didn't know anything about retrofits about 2 mths ago either.

Either the HID kit or the retrofit is going to be much better than the Halogen lights but as you can see in my comparison pics the retrofit has an awesome light output and throw. It doesn't cost that much more than just the HID kit either.

Now I'm waiting on a solution to get rid of the DRL which should be coming soon I hope.....that's a hint for someone that's watching this thread.

If you have any questions ask here or PM me. I've got some leads on people that can do the actual retrofit. Removing the bumper and installing the headlights is easy and you can do yourself. Worst case I'm only about 3 hrs away from Norman and I have access to a lift and tools and I would be willing to help for free.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #44
SAR-MYRO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Ocular
This is an awesome thread!! I also have a non rs 2lt and was thinking of getting angel eyes but I think I'm gonna go for the retrofit instead. The different types of shrouds really look nice. I do have have a question though. Where did you get the aftermarket headlights from?
SAR-MYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #45
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR-MYRO View Post
This is an awesome thread!! I also have a non rs 2lt and was thinking of getting angel eyes but I think I'm gonna go for the retrofit instead. The different types of shrouds really look nice. I do have have a question though. Where did you get the aftermarket headlights from?
I got it off eBay from a seller called xtremelights2003

They are made by TYC. One thing to note. He can not bill to you at one address and then ship to another. That means that in my case I had to have TRS buy it so it could be shipped to them. I just email them and worked it out where I paid TRS first and then they turned around and ordered the light.

Here is one of his posts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVR...Q5fAccessories

BTW: you can still do angel eyes with the retrofit. It's just all in how you want it to look.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #46
caverman

We had a small Camaro5 meet up last night. I had a couple of RS cars line up against a wall with me so I could compare the Morimoto to the OEM HID.

The cut-off line on the Morimoto is definately more crisp. I never noticed the drop down in the OEM HID until we lined up. Then we were able to see it. The drop down on the Morimotos is obvious.

Did I mention how much I love these retrofits.....
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #47
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Thanks for all the info and research Caverman, its been much helpful. Im going to shoot these guys a email and see what we can come up with. Also did you do anything special with your stock fogs?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #48
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis View Post
Thanks for all the info and research Caverman, its been much helpful. Im going to shoot these guys a email and see what we can come up with. Also did you do anything special with your stock fogs?
Thanks.....these lights are working out awesome. Love 'em.

Yes, I changed my fog lights...but I'm not completely happy with them yet. I've ended up with the AAC LED (5202) bulbs in there right now. They are the closest thing in color to 5000k bulbs but are not a match. No one seems to make an LED bulbs in a 5000k color. They are usually the 4300K or 6000k colors.

Now there was someone else that added the 5000k HID fog lights from V-LEDS that looks pretty good. They have little mini ballasts and he says they haven't melted his fog light housing or cover. I just haven't gotten around to finish off the just fogs yet.

I had Fieldgoal00's harness that turns on the fogs at the same time as the headlights but eventually found out it isn't going to work on a non-RS car. We did a bunch of testing and it looks like the non-RS is going to need a completely different type of plug. The guy that built them is supposed to be working on one for us. If that ever works out then I'll probably focus on my fogs more.

Do know that the Fog Lights will be for looks only. The HID lights are bright enough that you can't tell when the fogs are on or off.
Build Journal
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #49
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Awesome, glad to hear they are working out. I tried Nate's email you posted but it came back invalid?