Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #71
BBfan24

Drives: '10 Black 1SS/RS
thanks for the info. i hope the dealer i've been talking to is willing to work with me
Old 06-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #72
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfan24 View Post
thanks for the info. i hope the dealer i've been talking to is willing to work with me
Judging by past experience, they won't come down if the demand is still high.You will have to wait until production gets high enough that cars are starting to sit on the lot for a couple of weeks without selling.As long as they sell before they take delivery or as soon as they back them off the truck, they aren't going to come down. This may be different with those dealers that put a bunch of add-ons and raise the sticker price by 10-15K, but I never deal with those kind of dealers anyway. Any dealer that can advertise $7k-15K off MSRP "this week only" is a dealer to avoid.That just means they have been ripping people off for an extra $15k the other 51 weeks of the year. There are several of those kind of dealers here in the Houston area.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #73
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
The way the market is right now, you bet your ass that dealers are not going to low ball this great car, doesn't Chevy and this car deserve MSRP? I say it does. Car dealers and salesmen(me included) have to already hoe out a new car just to sell it. I hate selling new cars sometimes. tell me if you could live of a 100.00 commission even if you sold 12 of them a month, or even 16, after taxes, didn't think so. And trust me Chevy does not have a lot in mark up in cars. Any discount at all usually guarantees me a mini deal, after the dealership gets hold back and pack, nothing their for the man on the front line. and forget the fact just because we sell cars that some how we a inherently evil.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #74
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 View Post
The way the market is right now, you bet your ass that dealers are not going to low ball this great car, doesn't Chevy and this car deserve MSRP? I say it does. Car dealers and salesmen(me included) have to already hoe out a new car just to sell it. I hate selling new cars sometimes. tell me if you could live of a 100.00 commission even if you sold 12 of them a month, or even 16, after taxes, didn't think so. And trust me Chevy does not have a lot in mark up in cars. Any discount at all usually guarantees me a mini deal, after the dealership gets hold back and pack, nothing their for the man on the front line. and forget the fact just because we sell cars that some how we a inherently evil.

Spoken like a true salesman

Just kiddin..... although I do not agree that this car deserves MSRP. Nothing deserves more of my money than what is fair for both sides. I will pay less than MSRP, it's only a matter of how long it takes to find a dealer willing (which I think I already have if you read my previous post on this topic).
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #75
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Spoken like a true salesman

Just kiddin..... although I do not agree that this car deserves MSRP. Nothing deserves more of my money than what is fair for both sides. I will pay less than MSRP, it's only a matter of how long it takes to find a dealer willing (which I think I already have if you read my previous post on this topic).
Fair is the key word here. And that is exactly what my dealership is all about. With all due respect to you, you are not looking for a fair deal, you are simply looking for a discount. If buying a new Camaro at under 30k with 400+ ponies, design, hype, and sheer beauty, at MSRP, compared at anything else, how could it be anything but fair? Is the Z06 fair compared to its competition? Or simply discounting it make it more fair to you? I am not the best at conveying through written messages, but i gave it my best. I could give more examples, but i do better through speech, Hey I am a salesmen
Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #76
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
but i do better through speech, Hey I am a salesmen
Old 06-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #77
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
MSRP = not for me

Mindz is right, some will deal, some will laugh at you--maybe to your face, .... do the research, know the 'invoice price' know the dealer 'hold back' %, know the demand for this car will limit your options.....if you are not very patient. If you have to have the first one in town, you will pay, if you wait, shop, research and come here to ask ????? you may save some$$$
some keys:
dealer invoice
factory invoice
dealer holdback= built in profit for the dealer, salesman % depends sometimes0%
salesman= needs some $$$,

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!

Last edited by chadrcr; 06-12-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: oops repost
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #78
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Fair is the key word here. And that is exactly what my dealership is all about. With all due respect to you, you are not looking for a fair deal, you are simply looking for a discount. If buying a new Camaro at under 30k with 400+ ponies, design, hype, and sheer beauty, at MSRP, compared at anything else, how could it be anything but fair? Is the Z06 fair compared to its competition? Or simply discounting it make it more fair to you? I am not the best at conveying through written messages, but i gave it my best. I could give more examples, but i do better through speech, Hey I am a salesmen
Even as a consumer I have to agree...even though the idea is "evil salesmen", you have a life to live and mouths to feed. Same as defense attorneys..haha

The only issue that comes to mind is that the camaro and mustang both seem to attract a young and similar age bracket... I agree that 30k for 400 ponies is absolutely fantastic, STILL that is a target many of that "young bracket" cannot touch. I am a camaro lover at heart, hell I may pay MSRP, and I will pay the extra 3 or 4k maybe even 5k to get a loaded camaro with 400 ponies, sunroof, HID and the goodies..but the undecided college student or newly wed that doesnt care if he drives a camaro or mustang wont spend 33 or 34k for a great camaro, may not even spend 30k, when he can get a premium GT stang for 29 with all the "incentives" now....and you KNOW Ford will combat this vehicle any way they can...including dropping sticker to keep those "on the fence buyers". You and I both know the base V8 may hit at 29k if we are lucky, but a premium SS with 400 ponies will be more along the lines of 34-35k IMO. Do you REALLY feel that the on the fence buyer, especially in this market..with these gas prices...will dish the extra 5k? I don't believe so....you MAY get the on the fence buyer on the V6, but hell..Ford will find a way to combat that as well. I spent 3 years in sales prior to my new career choice, so I am by no means an expert of markets and sales...but GM has stated it will be in the price range of the mustang? Great, but there wont be incentives for this vehicle out of the gate, and Ford will continue to have it's own. The general population is NOT paying MSRP for the mustang regardless packets, so why with the camaro. Now dont get me wrong, I think the camaro is far superior both with interior, exterior, and performance, but your average buyer does not care....Currently in Orlando you can get a premium V8 GT loaded at 29-30 with 3,000 back....I am a camaro faithful, but if I was on the fence, I would be walking with a Mustang....and if dealers are not willing to WORK with the buyer just TAD, this including below MSRP...then I don't see sales working out to well for those dealerships...you will always have your faithfuls....but they are a small minority in the big run.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #79
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Even as a consumer I have to agree...even though the idea is "evil salesmen", you have a life to live and mouths to feed. Same as defense attorneys..haha

The only issue that comes to mind is that the camaro and mustang both seem to attract a young and similar age bracket... I agree that 30k for 400 ponies is absolutely fantastic, STILL that is a target many of that "young bracket" cannot touch. I am a camaro lover at heart, hell I may pay MSRP, and I will pay the extra 3 or 4k maybe even 5k to get a loaded camaro with 400 ponies, sunroof, HID and the goodies..but the undecided college student or newly wed that doesnt care if he drives a camaro or mustang wont spend 33 or 34k for a great camaro, may not even spend 30k, when he can get a premium GT stang for 29 with all the "incentives" now....and you KNOW Ford will combat this vehicle any way they can...including dropping sticker to keep those "on the fence buyers". You and I both know the base V8 may hit at 29k if we are lucky, but a premium SS with 400 ponies will be more along the lines of 34-35k IMO. Do you REALLY feel that the on the fence buyer, especially in this market..with these gas prices...will dish the extra 5k? I don't believe so....you MAY get the on the fence buyer on the V6, but hell..Ford will find a way to combat that as well. I spent 3 years in sales prior to my new career choice, so I am by no means an expert of markets and sales...but GM has stated it will be in the price range of the mustang? Great, but there wont be incentives for this vehicle out of the gate, and Ford will continue to have it's own. The general population is NOT paying MSRP for the mustang regardless packets, so why with the camaro. Now dont get me wrong, I think the camaro is far superior both with interior, exterior, and performance, but your average buyer does not care....Currently in Orlando you can get a premium V8 GT loaded at 29-30 with 3,000 back....I am a camaro faithful, but if I was on the fence, I would be walking with a Mustang....and if dealers are not willing to WORK with the buyer just TAD, this including below MSRP...then I don't see sales working out to well for those dealerships...you will always have your faithfuls....but they are a small minority in the big run.
THAT was why the sales #s for the 4th gen were lower than the mustang, definitely not because the mustang was better, cause the best thing it had going for it was $$$$ cheaper.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #80
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
Actually, believe it or not, GM is basing Camaro allocations on 2008 Cobalt sales! This makes me very angry because we don't sell many cobalts around here and I imagine we won't get too many allocations up front...
That sucks...but then we ought to get A LOT of them up here (relatively speaking)!!!!! I can't turn my head without seeing one, not that that's a bad thing. Beauty of a car.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #81
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post

I agree for the most part. The Mustang is cheaper and has been out for four years, rebates and discounts are available. The Camaro is making its debut and it is at a disadvantage as far a rebates and demand, the price will be higher. You kind of miss the point of the word fair, the mustang as it is now, aging body, cheaply made, tons of bang for the buck is fair. The new Camaro Brand new styling, leading class in hp, performance, mpg, the list goes on, not including the few surprises we may still get. And we get all of this for a few thousand more. Camaro at msrp for the first 8 months is fair. Now the srt-8 challenger, horrible gas milage, over weight, cheap interior, cookie cutter platform, at 39k, now that is not fair. Now the Z06, which i know i cant afford, is fair compared to its comp right? So the price is fair Werther or not we can afford it or not. Now you and me have no clue what the actual MSRP is going to be, nor have we seen, driven, or know the options on the new Camaro production car. So ask anyone how can you know what a fair price is for a car that you have not seen, or driven, or even know the price of? How do you know what it is worth to you, or people in general? So if someone wants below MSRP on a car that doesn't exist yet, or price that has not been named, that person is not looking for a fair price, that person is looking for a discount, simply because he knows it is there!
Please excuse misspelled words and poor grammar
Hey Dragon I think I explained this one better! +1 for the salesmen LOL
Old 06-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #82
Mr. Wyndham

Pretty good! Couldn't have said it better myself. you guys are gonna sell quite a few Camaros if you keep that up, I'm sure!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #83
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
THAT was why the sales #s for the 4th gen were lower than the mustang, definitely not because the mustang was better, cause the best thing it had going for it was $$$$ cheaper.
Oh dont get me wrong ...I know this vehicle is steps above the stang...not only that, I believe the vehicle is WORTH 5k more, and I, along with many camaro lovers may even pay it...however, this vehicle will not sell in majority if dealers pull that pricing...thats all I am saying
Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #84
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
I agree for the most part. The Mustang is cheaper and has been out for four years, rebates and discounts are available. The Camaro is making its debut and it is at a disadvantage as far a rebates and demand, the price will be higher. You kind of miss the point of the word fair, the mustang as it is now, aging body, cheaply made, tons of bang for the buck is fair. The new Camaro Brand new styling, leading class in hp, performance, mpg, the list goes on, not including the few surprises we may still get. And we get all of this for a few thousand more. Camaro at msrp for the first 8 months is fair. Now the srt-8 challenger, horrible gas milage, over weight, cheap interior, cookie cutter platform, at 39k, now that is not fair. Now the Z06, which i know i cant afford, is fair compared to its comp right? So the price is fair Werther or not we can afford it or not. Now you and me have no clue what the actual MSRP is going to be, nor have we seen, driven, or know the options on the new Camaro production car. So ask anyone how can you know what a fair price is for a car that you have not seen, or driven, or even know the price of? How do you know what it is worth to you, or people in general? So if someone wants below MSRP on a car that doesn't exist yet, or price that has not been named, that person is not looking for a fair price, that person is looking for a discount, simply because he knows it is there!
Please excuse misspelled words and poor grammar
Hey Dragon I think I explained this one better! +1 for the salesmen LOL
As stated in response to another post, please dont take my post as a bash on the camaro. This car is beautifully put together both interior, exterior and performance. I believe it is a step above the challenger, G8, Mustang, etc etc....

I am a college student...one of the few that has a job that pays over 45k a year...I can afford the camaro and I may gladly pay MSRP. My post was merely in response that many dealers I have spoken with...(and not that I am saying I got this vibe from you), have stated they expect to price the camaro AT THEIR DEALERSHIPS between 3-5k over the comparable mustang...now, again...I believe this IS fair..because I am a camaro lover, the camaro is well above its comparable matches, and have wanted one since the day I first laid eyes on a 1st, 2nd and 4th gen owned by my family members...so I may pay that difference in the mustang.

What I am saying is...if I have 30 of my closet friends, all between the ages of 20 and 35, maybe 2 share my passion for the camaro and will pay...the other 28 will not pay the hike. You are exactly right though...hell the car may only be 500 dollars excess of the mustang, but don't act like the dealer wont tack 2 or 3k and say exactly what you are saying "It is a much better vehicle"..yes, it is. With the rebates, the incentives, I dont care how trashy, plastic, or a step down in performance the mustang is...you will NOT attract the on the fence buyer. The 20-30 year old will not pay an additional 150 dollars a month for it, that is exactly why the 4th gen was hurting. Dealers are preaching that this vehicle has the perks that a stang doesnt and again..I AGREE, so dont take it the wrong way..but many of those people who appreciate and have a passion for these vehicles are also targets in the corvette community. This vehicle attracts the younger age bracket...I am telling you, from a college student's stand point...if you don't sell the camaro within 1,000-2,000 of a comparable mustang it will NOT sell to the younger bracket, the very bracket GM has admitted to targeting with this camaro. There will always be the passion for the vehicle that I have, and all on this forum who will gladly pay the 2,000..hell I might even dish 5,000 to a comparable mustang, but the majority will not...

Tags
arizona, arizona dealer, florida, louisiana, massachusetts, missouri msrp dealer, so cal dealers, www.camaroscotty.com