Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Rear Z Style Bar with Clearance for V6 Brakes and Drag Wheels

Pedders 32mm Rear Z Bar has NO clearance issues with ZL1, 1LE or 1000+ HD CV Joints / Axles.

Pedders was the first to market with a Z style rear bar over a year ago. Our 27mm front and 32mm rear bars have become the standard by which all other bars are measured. Even TEAM Camaro has been influenced. The 1LE delivers with a 27mm solid front bar almost as good as the Pedders 27mm solid adjustable front bar. Next from TEAM Camaro comes the Z/28 with Pedders 305/30/19 style rubber at all four corners

While you have been building your 5th Gen as the Ultimate Camaro TEAM Camaro released the ZL1 and coming soon is the Z/28. No worries. With Pedders Z style bars you are well ahead of the 1LE 27/28mm and ZL1 25/28mm bars. You can easily upgrade your FE3 or FE4 to Pedders Z bar Conversion Kits complete with ZL1 arms, adjustable front endlinks and Z style rear droplinks. For ZL1 and 1LE owners it is a straight bar upgrade.

The Camaro SS FE4 suspension moves the rear sway bar endlink / drop link mounting close to the knuckle to increase efficiency. The stock bars are now solid 23mm front and 24mm rear. The ZL1 has 25mm solid front bars and 28mm solid rear bars. Thw `LE is 27mm front and 28mm rear. TEAM Camaro moved from hollow to solid bars for strength and durability just like the Pedders bars have been for the 5th Gen since 2009

Pedders exists to take Modern Muscle to the next level and we have a particular affinity for the 5th Gen Camaro. Our FE4 / FE5 sway bars are solid. The front is 27mm and adjustable. The rears are 32mm. Our bar sets are sold with high efficiency OEM quiet front end-links and fixed position drop- links. How do they perform, do you really need to ask? The owner of this Camaro is a law enforcement professional with countless hours of driver training. His professional opinion -- 'Holy shit, man! The front HOOKED not even CLOSE to breaking traction and the back end stayed right with it. I mean....when the car turns, it TURNS.'

Our FE4 / 5 rear sway bars can be retro fit to any 5th Gen Camaro. The new Camaro rear lower control arms have the 'old' style close to the differential endlink mounting tabs and the 'new' close to the knuckle mounting hole. This is a smart choice by Chevrolet as one common part number can be used on all versions of the 5th Gen Camaro. The new OE lower rear control arms are inexpensive.

Why did Chevrolet make the change in rear sway bar geometry and size? To make the 5th Gen handle better. From day one of the 5th Gen the bias of the car has been heavy on understeer. This is a function of weight distribution, wheel base, track, wheel and tire size and of course sway bar strength. The FE4 addresses both with improved rear sway bar geometry and sway bar strength. The old bars were hollow. The new bars are solid, and are stronger. The old bars were almost the same diameter (strength) front and rear. The new FE4 rear bar is 1mm larger than the front. It doesn't sound like much, but coupled with the increase in efficiency of the new outboard mounting position it is a big difference. The FE4 Camaro is far more balanced that the FE3 SS. It is more neutral and handles better in the corners.

The new FE5 ZL1 takes this all on steroids. The front bar goes up in size to 25mm and the rear bar a huge jump to 28mm. Talk about balance from the factory

At Pedders, even great isn't good enough. We have been using a dumbed down rear alignment with a 32mm inboard old style bar to reduce understeer and improve cornering. We set the rear camber to half the front camber or even less. The on track results were excellent. We feel we had a ZL1 two years ago with our Pedders USA Camaro. Now, there is a ZL1 so we have been hard at work with our partners at Lingenfelter on the L/28. Yhe Lingenfelter / Pedders L/28 is running our Z style bars and running faster than any other late model Muscle Car on the OPTIMA circuit. We are able to increase rear camber without increasing understeer

Here is the new rear bar complete with Pedders drop-link. The rear bar is NOT adjustable because the FE4 / FE5 / FE6 drop link design is most efficient when straight up at rest. In this image the droplink bolt is inverted so we could change out droplinks without removing the wheel.

The new 32mm bar takes up space, but there are ZERO clearance issues.

V6 Brake Clearance

V6 Brake and Supercar Clearance

Last edited by JusticePete; 05-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
My friend got these recently on his V6 and loves them. No issues with clearance. He also did the bushing replacement and drop springs. His car tracks really well. He just placed first in his class at the Camaro Revolution in Texas.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
what size wheels what offset? or is this top secret?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
If you're asking me, he's still running his stock RS 20" on BFG Gforce Comp II.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
If you're asking me, he's still running his stock RS 20" on BFG Gforce Comp II.
asking Mr Pete. Want to know if they will fit my 18 inch track wheels with upgraded but oem size ss brakes.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
This is great news! I had given up home because everyone said no zl1 rear bar would work with the v6 because of the rubbing issues. I will definitely be going with this when it comes time for me to buy a set! Thanks Pete!

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
asking Mr Pete. Want to know if they will fit my 18 inch track wheels with upgraded but oem size ss brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
what size wheels what offset? or is this top secret?
10.5 with 40mm offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
This is great news! I had given up home because everyone said no zl1 rear bar would work with the v6 because of the rubbing issues. I will definitely be going with this when it comes time for me to buy a set! Thanks Pete!
As far as I can tell what the other brands have done is follow the OEM bend pattern with larger diameter material. Pedders took a different route. The Pedders rear Z style bar had to clear the Supercar Coilover Reservoir Canisters, V6 brakes and Wider than stock rear wheels and it does.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Good post Pete! Thanks for confirming fitment! Glad to have another option for the V6 guys!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote