Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Velociraptor

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT in Black
Sport Mode vs. Drive Mode vs. Manual Mode

Hi ALL,

I have 2011 2LT. What's the difference between Sport Mode and Manual Mode? WHEN and HOW should I use Sport Mode vs. Manual Mode (as oppose to Drive Mode)? I have an automatic and been only using Drive Mode.

Any info is greatly appreciated...
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
When you say Manual, I take it that you are referring to the paddle shifting option.

The Sport Mode is where the Engine revs higher than your usual "drive" mode. It also drinks more gas in that mode.

The Manual mode is where you can manually change the gears by tapping the paddle shifters located behind your steering wheel!

Use the Paddle Shifting when you are racing on a track, when cruising on the road use the drive mode and when driving aggressively (but safely) use the Sport Mode.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Normaly I drive in S mode in the city, i like my car to be reactive, and the shifting happens at a higher RPM's. When I'm on the road, I use D mode and the car is smoother and it saves gas.

But when I want to go sporty I use M mode and I change the gears when I wan't, the computor will no allow to over rev so there is no danger to break the engine and I personnaly like to be able to down-shift and use the compression to slow the car.

I'm now anxious to install my CAI and Solo Performance Mach X-LLT J-pipes exhaust, with M mode i'll be able to hear that beutifull sound, even if it's a V6.

Name:  solo pipes 2.jpg
Views: 21682
Size:  315.1 KB
montreal2010yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
Normaly I drive in S mode in the city, i like my car to be reactive, and the shifting happens at a higher RPM's. When I'm on the road, I use D mode and the car is smoother and it saves gas.

But when I want to go sporty I use M mode and I change the gears when I wan't, the computor will no allow to over rev so there is no danger to break the engine and I personnaly like to be able to down-shift and use the compression to slow the car.

I'm now anxious to install my CAI and Solo Performance Mach X-LLT J-pipes exhaust, with M mode i'll be able to hear that beutifull sound, even if it's a V6.

Attachment 211959

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but what is going on with that exhaust? What is the benefit to the two pipes that go toward each other (the ones at the end that branch off just before the exhaust tips...)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
MAGfuz

Drives: VR 2SS Convertible
Reduce/eliminate Drone. Look up their site or the SOLO Performance Mach X LLT Thread in the Bolt on and Tunes forum. Explains a lot there!

Quote:
Mach X-LLT J-Pipe Cat-Back Exhaust Kit for V6 Manual and Automatic Camaro

The Mach X-LLT exhaust kit for your V6 Camaro, Auto or Standard, is a full stainless steel unit. The muffler and tips are T304 and the pipes are T409. The band clamps we use are T304 as well. There is a lot going on in this exhaust kit to get the Camaro V6 to sound like it should. First we have a special Solo X design Mach free flow muffler in the front. As with most X pipes, this X muffler doesn’t inhibit the flow and does a great job of calming the noise. We also have a rear set of free flow Mach resonators in the tailpipe section. These resonators are the same free flow resonators used in our V6 Res-Cats. These resonators, or mini mufflers, also reduce and calm the overall exhaust note.

We have adjustable “attenuation pipes” or “J pipes” in our tailpipes too. These J-pipes are “tuned” to take out the bad frequency ranges that both the V6 Auto and Standard have. Fortunately the frequency range was the same and the J-pipes can be used on either car with the same success. We make the J-pipes adjustable and removable to give you options. To adjust the length you would loosen the end band clamp bolts and move in or out the same on both sides. ½” to 1” makes a big difference in sound. We have the pipes set at the “factory preset” length but since all Camaro’s are not made exactly the same we make them adjustable.

You are also able to remove the J pipes if you want to see how your car sounds without them. Just remove the end cap, take away the J pipe, and insert the end cap into the stub coming out of the tailpipe.
^^^
Taken from the thread in Bolt-ons & Tunes.

TEAM LS3!

Last edited by MAGfuz; 03-02-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added info
MAGfuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I pretty much just leave mine in "S" all the time. The car seems much more responsive/lively that way

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
2010rod
JAWS

Drives: 2010 2SS Silver Ice Metallic
I have L99, and didn't notice that much action until I modded exhaust; I'm almost allways in sports mode just in case i need to get sporty, and down shift on a stang or putang
Old 03-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
MAGfuz

Drives: VR 2SS Convertible
I've been in S mode a lot recently. Just sooo much more fun. Plus my MPG hasn't taken that big of a hit, so I'm happy!

TEAM LS3!
MAGfuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Yeah, sport mode is more fun, but use D for better mpg, allegedly anyway.Paddles on the track are slower by alot I hear. Use sport, hold the rpms at 1000-1200, let of the brake and hit the gas at the same time seems to yeild the best. M mode more just for fun.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
iHaVoKK

Drives: 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
Yeah, sport mode is more fun, but use D for better mpg, allegedly anyway.Paddles on the track are slower by alot I hear. Use sport, hold the rpms at 1000-1200, let of the brake and hit the gas at the same time seems to yeild the best. M mode more just for fun.
Sorry but im a noob and only had my car for a few weeks...How do you get into "Sport Mode" I have a Auto V6?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
speedbrds
It wasn't me!

Drives: '11 SW Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHaVoKK View Post
Sorry but im a noob and only had my car for a few weeks...How do you get into "Sport Mode" I have a Auto V6?
If you have the automatic, just flick it to "M" mode. That'll put you in "S" or sport mode as indicated on the little screen on the tach to the left of the mileage display.
speedbrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
ChvyBoss
THAT BOOST TURNS HEADS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
S mode is the best
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Not His

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro, IBM/LT1/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbrds View Post
If you have the automatic, just flick it to "M" mode. That'll put you in "S" or sport mode as indicated on the little screen on the tach to the left of the mileage display.
Don't you have to use the paddles for that mode?
Not His is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not His View Post
Don't you have to use the paddles for that mode?
No.

The "M" setting has two modes, Sport Mode and Manual Mode.
- If you use the paddles you will enter Manual Mode.
- If you do not use the paddles you will enter Sport Mode which is just like Drive except more sporty.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote