Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Factory LSA or other Supercharger?

So i have finally made my decision to go supercharged. Is there a difference in an OEM LSA, or let's say a Magnuson, ProCharger ETC. I have a great relationship with my dealer and know they will give me a good deal, so expecting to save some good money. I would have the dealer install the LSA.I only need this supercharger for 1 thing and 1 thing only, and that's for Silverstate. As running the 150 MPH class is a must for me, im just looking for the power to run in 6th gear without really working the motor as hard as running in 5th and tacking 5500.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Davidd_SS

Drives: LSX FTW
Id go with a Procharger, If looking for a cost effective alternative go LSA through ADM
Old 01-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
Tjay_2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Also check out the ECS kit
Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidd_SS View Post
Id go with a Procharger, If looking for a cost effective alternative go LSA through ADM
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjay_2SS View Post
Also check out the ECS kit
What is an ECS kit?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
So i have finally made my decision to go supercharged. Is there a difference in an OEM LSA, or let's say a Magnuson, ProCharger ETC. I have a great relationship with my dealer and know they will give me a good deal, so expecting to save some good money. I would have the dealer install the LSA.I only need this supercharger for 1 thing and 1 thing only, and that's for Silverstate. As running the 150 MPH class is a must for me, im just looking for the power to run in 6th gear without really working the motor as hard as running in 5th and tacking 5500.
Running a aftermarket kit leaves you very little to hunt for part/component wise and will offer a easier install we have installed just about every offering for the platform.
There are lists on various forums of parts required to install the factory unit and some have jumped through the hoops to obtain it all.
If your road racing the vehicle and looking for a little more why not N/A build without the heat soak issues of supercharging?
CAI, cnc head, cam & header will be up 100+wheel camshaft choice dependent.
We have options either way.
The positive displacement superchargers offer tq right off idle and are tons of fun on street cars.
The centrifugal units make great power and is a good way to go.
If it's an auto trans the tq converter will help the car make boost quicker.
They do take some time to get going on a stick car when changing gears, what some refer to as lag.
They need some time to get going vs the top mount stuff that goes off idle.
Whatever direction or brand you choose if you need help we can do our best to help out.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Huge differences between brands.

Most people running LSA blowers are not buying them new from the dealer, plus you still need a conversion kit. Your better off getting a take off LSA from someone upgrading their CTSV/ZL1 than buying a new one from dealer.

Sounds like you need to do some more reading on the different brands and what is involved in putting FI on a camaro.

and doing pulls in 6th gear is going to be more stress than using the correct gear.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
cornerspeed92

Sorry if i confused my question. Im not roadracing so not concerned about heat soak. Im just looking for more power to power 6th gear at high speed. I could already run it in 5th but were talking 5300 RPM's. Those that dont know what Silverstate is, it's just a fast 38:00 min drive thru the desert at 150 MPH
Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
Unreal

Heat soak is an issue either way. Nothing to do with road racing, just sustained application of throttle. At 38 minutes that will be completely heat soaked after the first 60 seconds or so.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
just know LSA alone will put out AS much horsepower as Whipple, Maggie, and some others, just depends on what all you add..

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Think about how you want your power delivery. Thats why I love centri style superchargers.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
*takes some popcorn from KaBoom*

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
Unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Muscle View Post
just know LSA alone will put out AS much horsepower as Whipple, Maggie, and some others, just depends on what all you add..
Not true at all.

It will to a certain point, then it runs out of steam. The larger blowers have more capacity when you get into the higher HP range.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Sorry if i confused my question. Im not roadracing so not concerned about heat soak. Im just looking for more power to power 6th gear at high speed. I could already run it in 5th but were talking 5300 RPM's. Those that dont know what Silverstate is, it's just a fast 38:00 min drive thru the desert at 150 MPH
I'm not sure that you want to be trying to sustain 150mph at 3400rpm - you're not lugging it there but your pretty low in the rev range for the sustained RPM you're asking for, especially in a forced induction application. Other guys that do sustained high speed stuff (that's quite the niche anyways) could advise better I'm sure.

A happy medium would be a gear change - a 3.91 rear would put you up at ~3800rpm, and a 4.10 would turn ~4000rpm at 150mph in 6th. A near stock LS3 might even pull 6th at those speeds with gears, but probably not with stock ratios - too far out of the power.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote