Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
MaddawgXXXL

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue
Unhappy Dealer wants car back????????

Ok quick history... we put the Camaro in the gf's name to build her credit. Interest is a little high, but after a year we will refi. Dealer runs her credit (after punching in #'s wrong 2x) finally says they got her approved with Capital One. We wait another week+ for the car to arrive and then we go to sign the papers... before we got there dealer said the deal was contingent on our down payment, 5 references and paystubs. We bring all, sign papers, weekend goes by and we finally get the car. 3 weeks later and I get a call from the finance manager that apparently someone at her job said she was a 1099 employee when she is clearly a w2 employee (hence the paystubs). He starts getting nervous and says we have to fix this or we have to bring the car back. Capital One calls the owner of the company, who clears everything up and verifies the info.

Now today I get a call (another week later) that Capital One may be calling to have the gf sign an IRS release of info because of the mixup.

There is no way she is signing that Doc... even our lawyer said that's ridiculous. They have $8k on the car and financed $22k. I never signed this doc even to purchase my house and don't feel its nec. It isn't in writing and wasn't part of the deal. She does not feel comfortable releasing her tax returns to Capital One and neither would I.

So now what???? Will they accept the loan or was the dealer serious about bringing the car back???? With almost 1000 miles on it wouldn't there be a major loss for them?

I read online that in some states they have 10 days to cancel and/or it has to be in writing. Its past 10 days and there is nothing anywhere on the contract. Isn't it up to them now to get financing????

Sorry for the long post but I'm shocked... I've purchased dozens of new cars and never heard of anything like this before!!

Any info would be great!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Ask your lawyer.

Sounds like several inept folks at the dealer and the bank.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Who has the encumberance on the title? That's who owns the car until you pay for it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
So the registration is currently in your lady's name?
F*** Capital One.. and F*** your dealership.

They released the car, it's in y'er name, neither of you did anything fraudulent, the only one on the hook here is the dealership.
It has nothing to do with you, so tell 'em to go F*** themselves!

Once you get that in place, I'm sure they will come up ith a plan "B".
Hang in there!

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Patriot

Drives: 2011 LS3/RS on order... ..
I don't what the problem is. Drive the piss out of it, then give it back. As long as get all your money back, go down the street to a competent dealership and get another car. You'll be the first person in history to get a free sports car for a week or two.

In actuality, Capital One ownes the car but entered into an agreement with you. As long as you didn't lie about anything, they can't take the car unless you miss a payment.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Definetely ask your lawyer. You guys have a written signed contract for the car. Doesn't make sense that they can just "add" on things later. Too bad for them.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
You could always try and contact a local Credit Union if you're a member of one. Explain the details, they might help you out by taking over the loan, and push the other lender out of the picture.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
There are one of two things going on here-

1. The dealer is jacking you around, and had you sign a spot contract with terms that they knew the bank would not approve to get you in the car. Then they come back with a contract that has the worse actual terms and will ask you sign it, or give the car back. This is quite common.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/scams.htm#Scam1

2. You or your GF has bad credit, and the dealer tried to make it work, but messed up somewhere. I mean with even average credit, and reasonable debt, if your putting $8K down on a $30K car, it should be very easy to get a normal loan.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
Weeks later? I doubt there is anything the dealer can make you do, as long as you make payments. They may have goofed, but if all of your info is accurate, it seems like you should be fine. Definitely check with a lawyer if you can.

My bro-in-law got in on the Cas for Clunkers program. The dealer approved him at a pretty high rate (first time borrower), and Capital One took the loan. The dealer called him a few days later. Cap One has a minimum loan amount and his came to a few hundred less than that. So the dealer literally handed him a check to justify the loan amount being a few hundred dollars more.

Wasn't his fault, so the dealer had to hand him some cash to make it all work out. Seems like your situation is one where the dealer and Capital One have to work things out, but the solution does NOT involve you returning the car.

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
MaddawgXXXL

Quote:
So the registration is currently in your lady's name?
Well we haven't gotten the tags yet, but did sign all the paperwork for them (and paid) but the temp is in her name. I don't know if the dealer has them and hasn't called us or if they are holding back. If I had the tags on the car I wouldn't even be answering the phone anymore.

There won't be any repossession because they would have to break in my locked auto gate that surrounds the house... then meet the very large bully pit who roams the yard and then meet me... I make the guy in my avatar look tiny

So, we'll see how this plays out... Will keep you updated!!

I'll definitely keep you posted!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
MaddawgXXXL

Quote:
You or your GF has bad credit, and the dealer tried to make it work, but messed up somewhere.
She has minimal credit but was approved with everything. But the owners dad answered the first time they called and gave inaccurate info. When they called back and spoke with the owner we thought it was all cleared (even though this was all 2 weeks later too).

The question is can they demand she signs the irs release for copies of tax returns... cause she wont!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #12
Unique Auto Depot

Drives: Camaro 2010
give it back go to another dealer get a new one with 0 miles LOL its the dealers loss if he wants the car back with 1000 miles I would say
Unique Auto Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
MaddawgXXXL

Just found this... http://www.lemonlaw.com/spotdelivery.html
Old 05-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddawgXXXL View Post
That sound like what he's doing it to you. low credit score = easy scam.