Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #85
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I asked Redline what I should use with this Eaton Truetrack and new gears, and they highly recommended their Redline 75W90 GL-5 (synthetic), and use a bottle of their friction modifier just for "break-in". Then change out the fluid again without the friction modifier after 500-800 miles. But now I'm hearing all this stuff about not using synthetic gear oil, so now I don't know what to do!?!?!?!? Maybe I should use their 80W140 instead??? Is the Lucas stuff you mentioned, is that a synthetic-based gear oil???

Or maybe this would be good stuff to use (link below). Although, Redline did not recommend this "shockproof" stuff for my application, they said it was for "racing" differentials only. I'm so confused, I thought with the 6-speed manuals being so hard on the rear ends, that this stuff would be perfect....but maybe I'm wrong?!?!? Can anyone give a definitive....."this is the best stuff to use with the Eaton Truetrac" recommendation????

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=8
I never use synthetic in rears,always dino oil for me....lucas is dino oil
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #86
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
I never use synthetic in rears,always dino oil for me....lucas is dino oil
Thanks!.....It's hard to question anything about differentials coming from you guys!!!!

I'm assuming then this is the stuff you're recommending:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...how&headTitle= - Lucas Heavy Duty 85W-140 Gear Oil
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #87
JTRJSS
THE GREEN GOBLIN

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Rally Green Met.10 Spd AT
The Lucas 85-140 is what I use. I tried other diff oil and the Lucas seems to keep the noise down.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #88
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRJSS View Post
The Lucas 85-140 is what I use. I tried other diff oil and the Lucas seems to keep the noise down.
Thanks for the confirmation on the oil. I'll have to see if I can find it around here! Did you do any kind of special "break-in" procedure for the Truetrac? I know supposedly for the gears, you're supposed to do a few heat-cycles on them, like 20 minutes of driving, and let them cool, and then 20 minutes more driving, and let them cool, etc. And I've also heard about doing figure 8's for breaking in the traditional clutch-type posi units, but not sure what to do for the Truetrac. Any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #89
JTRJSS
THE GREEN GOBLIN

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Rally Green Met.10 Spd AT
Yes I was also told to do the heat cycle. There is no break in period for the posi unit. There are no clutches to break in. I was also told to change the gear oil after 1000 miles.

I have about 8,000 miles on the unit and no problems. Are you changing the diff bushings? I do hear more noise because of the stiffer bushing that were installed.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #90
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRJSS View Post
Yes I was also told to do the heat cycle. There is no break in period for the posi unit. There are no clutches to break in. I was also told to change the gear oil after 1000 miles.

I have about 8,000 miles on the unit and no problems. Are you changing the diff bushings? I do hear more noise because of the stiffer bushing that were installed.
Yes, I am in the process of installing new gears (3.91's), JRE billet caps, Pfadt "Race" differential bushings, Pfadt Solid Subframe bushings, and Pfadt upper control arm bushings. So, yes, I do expect to hear considerably more "noise" than what I had before!!! But I'm just hoping this thing doesn't ride like a freakin' dump truck after all this?!?!?!?

Did you notice that Pfadt no longer sells their differential bushings on their website!?!?!? I wonder if they were getting too many complaints about NVH??? And I am installing their "race" version which is even stiffer, I'm really afraid this thing is going to sound like a freight train now!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #91
bthibodeaux

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Thanks for the additional input guys. I will go with mineral oil instead.
2011 Black 2SSRS M6 Vert, Nitto Invos on HRE P40s (20X11 rear, 20X9 front), lowered 1" on Pfadt coilovers, Eibach sway bars, American Racing frame brace, Brembo big brakes (16" front, 15" rear), ZR1 dual disc clutch, MGW Shifter, 3.91 gears with Eaton Truetrac and LPW cover, DSS 1000HP axles, DSS 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, Magnacharger with RDS Stage II and 2.8" pulley, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, GM CNC ported heads, American Racing LT headers with high flow cats, custom 3" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and resonator (630 RWHP).

bthibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #92
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
Here at the shop, I use either Royal Purple or Redline.
For your application,I would use Redline shock proof.

The True trac does not like the Royal Purple when the True Trac is brand new.

I tried it on my truck.I ran the Royal Purple for a few months,then I changed to Lucas oil.It was OK with Lucas,then I changed again to Royal Purple.It's OK now. (I tried a couple of different gear ratio's in my truck,that's why I changed the oil often)

To be honest, the front diff has Redline and the rear has Royal Purple.lol.....
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #93
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion427 View Post
Hey Ron, thanks for the recommendation. I'm still kinda "wishy-washy" on this, but IF I was to use this Redline Shock Proof stuff, which one do you think I should use, the "Heavy" or "Lightweight"???

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=8

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=8
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #94
Motion427
Account Suspended

I use the heavy.You should see the thing stick on the gear. lol....

When you do the break in period.Heat will kill the gears, new gears run alot hotter.
Premium oil and short trips are key for the first 500 miles.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #95
bthibodeaux

Quote:
I use the heavy.You should see the thing stick on the gear. lol....

When you do the break in period.Heat will kill the gears, new gears run alot hotter.
Premium oil and short trips are key for the first 500 miles.

Would a 50 mile trip be in the "short trip" range? Thanks again for the smokin deal on the gears.
2011 Black 2SSRS M6 Vert, Nitto Invos on HRE P40s (20X11 rear, 20X9 front), lowered 1" on Pfadt coilovers, Eibach sway bars, American Racing frame brace, Brembo big brakes (16" front, 15" rear), ZR1 dual disc clutch, MGW Shifter, 3.91 gears with Eaton Truetrac and LPW cover, DSS 1000HP axles, DSS 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, Magnacharger with RDS Stage II and 2.8" pulley, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, GM CNC ported heads, American Racing LT headers with high flow cats, custom 3" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and resonator (630 RWHP).

Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #96
Motion427
Account Suspended

Would it be the very first "short trip" with the new gears?
If so,I would take a break in between.
After the 2nd or 3rd short trip,you can go further.
The AAM is a great gear,some will say that you can hammer it after 2-3 heat cycles,but why take the chance.

No Problem Brian.Glad I could help.Thank You.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #97
Awesome_SS
Jeff

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Interesting. I am running Royal Purple w/ my new Tru Trac. No problems here...so far.

Quote:
Here at the shop, I use either Royal Purple or Redline.

The True trac does not like the Royal Purple when the True Trac is brand new.

I tried it on my truck.I ran the Royal Purple for a few months,then I changed to Lucas oil.It was OK with Lucas,then I changed again to Royal Purple.It's OK now. (I tried a couple of different gear ratio's in my truck,that's why I changed the oil often)

To be honest, the front diff has Redline and the rear has Royal Purple.lol.....

Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #98
bthibodeaux

Quote:
Would it be the very first "short trip" with the new gears?
If so,I would take a break in between.
After the 2nd or 3rd short trip,you can go further.
The AAM is a great gear,some will say that you can hammer it after 2-3 heat cycles,but why take the chance.

No Problem Brian.Glad I could help.Thank You.
It should not be the first or second trip. I am out of town for 20 days or so, and my wife will take delivery of the car when completed. She will likely just be taking it for short joy rides and grocery store trips till I get back. Then we will want to make the 50+ mile trips to see family. So we should be good. Thanks for the info Ron.