Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Intake Manifold removal/install instructions

This is all i could find through searching... very detailed, but honestly, more steps than I think I need in my case (with these instructions, it begins with 1-29)

http://www.techafx.com/sites/techafx...structions.pdf

I will be removing my I.M. with fuel rails and injectors, and replacing it with another already assembled I.M. with fuel rails and injectors... do i have to follow all of those steps for removal, or can it be removed as one?

If so, how?

Also... those instructions call for GM quick release tools on certain steps.. is this necessary?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by BronxxBombers213; 02-24-2013 at 11:30 PM.
BronxxBombers213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Disconnect fuel rail, disconnect injector harness from injectors, remove 10 intake bolts (8mm).

Intake+injectors+rail come out as one piece, takes less then 10 minutes.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
install IM starting with the center bolt, move from driver to passenger side 1 bolt at a time and work your way out evenly. done
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Bronxx, do you still have the heater hoses that go up over your intake manifold? If so, then yes, you will need to follow all the Tech AFX instuctions. In fact, this would be a great time to swap to the newer style GM hoses. Nothing wrong or incorrect about the Tech AFX instructions, they are just very detailed and thorough. And yes, you will need quick disconnect tools to disconnect the factory fuel lines (they are inexpensive and available at any auto zone, o reilly's, etc....).
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
^^ yes I do have the hoses over the IM... The manifold won't come out from under them?? :( I thought there would be enough room/play in the hoses to do it
Old 02-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I can't say for sure, I never tried it that way, seems like it would be a hassle, if it is possible at all. But, like I said, this is a real good time to do the relocation. The newer 2012 GM hoses are about $80.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
You will need a 3/8 fuel line disconnect tool, but you can get that at a parts store. Pro tip, get a vacuum cap too to put over the fuel rail when you disconnect it. Even if the pressure's bled out there will still be fuel in the rail that might slosh out when you are shifting the manifold for removal and no one likes a gas shower.

You can remove the IM with the fuel rails/injectors still intact, no problem.

The two bolts furthest to the rear will not come out (not enough room to pull up and out), if you get a couple pieces of small convoluted tubing you can slip them under the head of the bolt to hold them up so they don't drag or hang when you remove the IM. Do the same thing for reinstall.

I leave the booster hose on the back of the IM and disconnect it from the brake booster side (just pull the whole fitting out). When you're removing/installing, angle it out of the way so it does not hang up on the oil pressure sending unit. Go slow when installing/reinstalling it so you don't break it.

If you are installing a FAST IM you may need to clock the oil pressure sending unit depending on which way the connector is facing, as it will get into the plastic fins of the IM if the locking side is facing the front of the car and keep it from seating.

Good luck. Any more questions just post em up.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
You could use my DIY for swapping the fuel line around to use the shorter Corvette braided fuel line. In doing so, the manifold needs to be moved forward a bit, so you can use these instructions, disconnect the various electrical connections and the brake booster hose, and you're done!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186343

Feel free to call, email, or PM us anytime!
- Jeremy
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote