Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #267
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
I've ran 2 sets of RE-11's for past events, and I can agree that they are a phenominal tire, but in rainy hills of Western PA, they can be a little scary in the wet. I'll be picking up a second set of wheels for the SS for track days, and either RE's or A6's are going on, depending on what class I decide to shoot for ( unless Nitto comes out with the 305 ). The S001's feel very confident, even in standing water. Even got stuck on the highway in stopped traffic while I was home, because the rain was so bad that visibility was almost nill, and the S001's never gave way. I know they're not the best performing, but I'm very happy with it as a street tire.

My sidewalls are definitely shorter than what I wanted, but my initial measurements were based of the first set of wheels on the Pedder's car, which were 19's. After seeing how everything came together, and now knowing that I have some extra clearance, my next set of tires will be taller. Just wanted to be safe, not sorry. Never good to be the guy who get's a blowout from his own fender. Guess I'll just have to burn through these faster...

Anyone willing to help?

Can't wait to see what the L/28 can do.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #268
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Stitch,

I'm thinking the same... I'm gonna go 10" wide so I need to be in a 295 wide tire.

there are a couple 295 30 20 out there. One is a continenetal and the other a P Zero...

otherwise I'll be in a 295 35 and there are a ton of options out there for that tire...

Need Pete to chime in on a 295 30... See if he's cool with that setup.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #269
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
I would love to do a 305 or in the front but i notice something...tell me if u guys have the same issue. When i put the larger tires of front my car wanders side to side on roads that look like rail road tracks... What i mean is that in nyc due to so many cars and heavy vehicles the soad looks like a hump in the middle and to the left and right like a valley all the way down. It make my car track with the shape of the road. I hate it.
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #270
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Stitch,

I'm thinking the same... I'm gonna go 10" wide so I need to be in a 295 wide tire.

there are a couple 295 30 20 out there. One is a continenetal and the other a P Zero...

otherwise I'll be in a 295 35 and there are a ton of options out there for that tire...

Need Pete to chime in on a 295 30... See if he's cool with that setup.

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #271
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Sweet! I'd say that's a go for the 295/30...

Oooorrr... there is a titanic Iceberg reference in there and I'm headed for disaster.....

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #272
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
I've ran 2 sets of RE-11's for past events, and I can agree that they are a phenominal tire, but in rainy hills of Western PA, they can be a little scary in the wet.
Endorphins enhance you driving skills
Old 10-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #273
ipimpthisc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
I would love to do a 305 or in the front but i notice something...tell me if u guys have the same issue. When i put the larger tires of front my car wanders side to side on roads that look like rail road tracks... What i mean is that in nyc due to so many cars and heavy vehicles the soad looks like a hump in the middle and to the left and right like a valley all the way down. It make my car track with the shape of the road. I hate it.
any one in their wisdom care to address this concern?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #274
JusticePete

Quote:
Tire tread and alignment will make the search in the ruts better or worse. A bit of caster offset, just a half a degree will help minimise it.

305s up front will search the ruts, but it shouldn't be that much worse. My guess is that the caster offset will keep it about the same as you have now. The easiest way to test this on your roads is to install a set of caster eccentrics and dial in that .5 degree stagger. Drive the worst roads and see how it feels. It won't be gone, but it should be much improved. If the result is good then you can move to a 305 front.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #275
JusticePete

Quote:
any one in their wisdom care to address this concern?
It may not be wisdom, but I addressed it
Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #276
ipimpthisc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Tire tread and alignment will make the search in the ruts better or worse. A bit of caster offset, just a half a degree will help minimise it.

305s up front will search the ruts, but it shouldn't be that much worse. My guess is that the caster offset will keep it about the same as you have now. The easiest way to test this on your roads is to install a set of caster eccentrics and dial in that .5 degree stagger. Drive the worst roads and see how it feels. It won't be gone, but it should be much improved. If the result is good then you can move to a 305 front.
Thank you Pete. I will have your guy in Brooklyn dial it in for me. He seems to know he stuff. Just have to get every thing in a row. So question will your alignment kit vastly improve this?...mind u i am an ignoramus in camber, caster , etc. Thanks for your help...and yes u are wise
Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #277
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
Quote:
Thank you Pete. I will have your guy in Brooklyn dial it in for me. He seems to know he stuff. Just have to get every thing in a row. So question will your alignment kit vastly improve this?...mind u i am an ignoramus in camber, caster , etc. Thanks for your help...and yes u are wise
Guy in brooklyn oh wait thats me hahahaha lol. Pete is very wise! You should get meet him in person in 10 mins of talking to him you learn volumes!

One problem you are trying to tackle is nyc roads. they are just bad. since we travel the same roads we both know the last time they were paved. For those who don't know the ruts in the road can some times be as deep as speed bumps are high and I'm not joking.

The alignment kit will take you past factory settings. The max the factory adjustment can go is decent, Adding the pedders alignment kit will give you the ability to really dial it in totally. Also with your your car you will be amazed how much the rear bushing kit will correct the issue you are describing,
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #278
ipimpthisc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
Guy in brooklyn oh wait thats me hahahaha lol. Pete is very wise! You should get meet him in person in 10 mins of talking to him you learn volumes!

One problem you are trying to tackle is nyc roads. they are just bad. since we travel the same roads we both know the last time they were paved. For those who don't know the ruts in the road can some times be as deep as speed bumps are high and I'm not joking.

The alignment kit will take you past factory settings. The max the factory adjustment can go is decent, Adding the pedders alignment kit will give you the ability to really dial it in totally. Also with your your car you will be amazed how much the rear bushing kit will correct the issue you are describing,
J... I was trying to be discreet...but fugeaboutitm As for meeting Pete, I am all for it...as long as its not too long a trek
Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #279
JusticePete

Quote:
J... I was trying to be discreet...but fugeaboutitm As for meeting Pete, I am all for it...as long as its not too long a trek
The tag line for the Pontiac GTO was -- A device for shrinking time and distance. It fits the 5th Gen as well or better. Texas is a bit of a trek, but Camaro5FEST III at INDY isn't that far. Are you signed up?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #280
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Endorphins enhance you driving skills
Is "Endorphins" code for "Onion Rings"...?