Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Juliannnt

Drives: Mosaic Black on Black. 2017 M6 2SS.
Looking for some info on cams

So I've been looking into cams and stuff and just wanted some general info if anyone is willing to share because I don't really know much. My questions are:

What kind of power gains could I expect?

How much would the total project cost? The cams I've seen are around 400 which seems relatively cheap.

Any other useful info is appreciated too

Thanks guys!
Juliannnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Labor will be the big hit. The 6th gen requires a lot more time to do a cam install. Pan has to be dropped and heads have to come off to change lifters in most cases. So most likely you'll be looking at lifters and head bolts and gaskets. It adds up quick.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Juliannnt

Drives: Mosaic Black on Black. 2017 M6 2SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS_in_GA View Post
Labor will be the big hit. The 6th gen requires a lot more time to do a cam install. Pan has to be dropped and heads have to come off to change lifters in most cases. So most likely you'll be looking at lifters and head bolts and gaskets. It adds up quick.
That's exactly what I figured :(
Juliannnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
Lurkertill03/10/2016

Drives: Soon to be a Camaro
And here I was thinking you might be asking for Dash cam advice, something I'm actually knowledgeable about (for once)
Lurkertill03/10/2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkertill03/10/2016 View Post
And here I was thinking you might be asking for Dash cam advice, something I'm actually knowledgeable about (for once)
I'll take your advice! Been looking around the web for a good one because there's crazy people out there! You can PM me so we don't flood this thread with the wrong cam
tsanchez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I had my 2011 2SSRS cammed with a BTR Stage II cam, all the upgrades like oil and trans cooler, springs, valves, torque converter, everything but having the heads done. L99 to LS3 conversion.
In talking to the local shop here I'm hearing the LT1 is a beyatch to work on and would be labor intensive! That right there $ay$ it$ going to co$t $seriou$ coin to have thi$ work done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
A lot this has already been discussed in the V8 Bolt-ons section. Do a search and you'll find it or just cruise around through that section. Lots of good info in there. Looks like heads and cam are running around $2400 for install. Probably the same for just the cam.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
As posted above the labor is what will be the biggest part of the cam install. Just the cam will be about 400, but if you do lifters, pushrods, springs, ect. you will be about 1500.
let us know if you have any questions.

-Winslow
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #9
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
It all depends on where you go bro. There are some vendors that are super reasonable and others on here that are beyond outrageous and wanna rape and nickel and dime you for any and everything. I am having my car fbo blown and cammed for far less labor wise than a vendor quoted me (8K less in labor cost alone). Just do your homework and shop those labor prices. Buy your own cam and gear and hit the internet and other Camaro 6g owners and ask who did thiers and how much did they pay. The motor DOES NOT HAVE TO COME OUT FOR A CAM JOB, as a vendor priced me for a cam swap lol.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote