Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
cajunhawkeye

Drives: 2006 Silverado
Question Horn Problem

Purchased Camaro on Metairie, LA but attending USAF Academy in Colorado Springs. When the temperaturestayed below freezing for several days the horn would honk intermittantly when turning or applying pressure to one side of the steering wheel. The local Chevy dealer said it was in the steering column wiring. He removed the fuse as a tempory fix. Took it home for Christmas break and my dealer ordered and replace the wiring. All was fine in Louisiana. Back to USAFA in January and the problem returned and have removed the fuse myself. Anybody else in the colder climates experienced the same problem? If so what was the fix? Any ideas or solutions? This will not be a after graduation in May as I will be stationed at Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS as my first duty station.
cajunhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
Sounds like you have a very horny car....sorry i couldn't help myself, probably just one of those weird electrical problems. Dealer should be able to get it sooner or later, sometimes they go on a wild goose chase til they find the problem. good luck
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
StormRaven77

Drives: Audi A4 Cabriolet
I rented a Chevy HHR for work with less than 400 miles on it and had the same problem. The horn would honk on its own when making sharp turns or when riding over rough pavement. (Long pissed off honks too) It wasn't cold in Philly so I would also guess electrical. Still it's not a good sign when that starts happening on a brand new car. Good luck.
StormRaven77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
just sounds like the horn wire has a short in it.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Sounds like steering column vibrations are causing the horn to trigger...or it could be wiring getting pinched in the column...which would make me wonder if other wheel controls are activated as well. Horn switch wiring is run in the SIR coil, along with radio controls, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote