Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
What's a better fuse...AUG or ANL type

Looking at getting a fuse for an amp install. I'm probably adding a JL XD400 and need to get a fuse for the power side. I've been searching and there seems to be a round AUG style fuse and an ANL style fuse.

Is one better than the other?

For the moment with the single amp I probably only need a 30 amp or 40 amp fuse. From what I've see the ANL doesn't seem to go that low. Those are usually 100 amp and 150 amp from what I've seen.

Another question, I've seen some fusable distribution blocks. Although I don't need one at the moment but if I add a second amp I probably will. Would it be best to just go ahead and buy one of these for possible future upgrades? Do they work as good as just a fuse?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
You need a fuse close to the battery, within 18", ideally closer. The difference between those types of fuses is in power handling. AUG glass cylinder fuses are only available up to 80 amps, whereas ANL go up to 300. So if you have a relatively low power system, like just a sub amp, or smaller sub amp and a 4 channel, an AUG will be fine. When you have high power amps, you need to go to ANL style.

As for the fused distribution block, yes you can use one of those with two smaller fuses for each amp, but you also need a big main fuse as well.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
You need a fuse close to the battery, within 18", ideally closer. The difference between those types of fuses is in power handling. AUG glass cylinder fuses are only available up to 80 amps, whereas ANL go up to 300. So if you have a relatively low power system, like just a sub amp, or smaller sub amp and a 4 channel, an AUG will be fine. When you have high power amps, you need to go to ANL style.

As for the fused distribution block, yes you can use one of those with two smaller fuses for each amp, but you also need a big main fuse as well.
Thanks

Right now I'll probably just run the JL XD400 and at most I'll add a 200w or so amp with a sub. Sounds like the AUG will be good enough using a 40 amp with one amp and then step up to 80 amp if I go to two amps.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Yeah that should work. Make sure you also use a big enough wire. You will be fine with 4 gauge with a setup like that, just don't skimp out and use 8.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
Yeah that should work. Make sure you also use a big enough wire. You will be fine with 4 gauge with a setup like that, just don't skimp out and use 8.
The amp and the JL powered sub I was looking at said to use 8 so it figured with just one amp I'll go 8 to the battery. If I install the powered sub then I'll do 4 to a distribution block and then 8 from there to the amps. At least that's the idea at the moment.
Build Journal
Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Peter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Get the jl audio pcs wiring kit, the xd400 is rated to use 8 ga or 4 ga if over a 20 ft run.

But as for fuses aug fuses tend to break over time the solder joint will come loose, wecnever use them in our installs unless the customer brings it in. We either us maxi or anl.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote