Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
How to tell exactly what my car has.

I had a pretty nasty falling out with the guy who bought/installed my bolt ons. I switched over to Ted soon after and haven't regretted it since. Anyway, long story short, the shop here wanted to sell me some bmw x6m 22" rims and I didn't want them... This was AFTER i had bought complete bolt ons and paid for install...

Anyway, he installed but refused to inform me what exactly he had installed on my car.... He said "kooks racing headers and full exhaust." I don't know if I have high flow cats, I don't know size of my headers, hell I don't know a darn thing. He won't take my calls and when he did he refused to tell me size of headers etc etc. At this point I have NO IDEA what I am truly running. When I had car lifted other day seemed like 1 3/4 b/c wasn't very big.

Now on Wednesday my LS3 swap, JRE blower cam, and UD pulley arrive. I will be working with my mechanic together to install these to learn and I will be able to see under the car for extensive time and be able to see EXACTLY what I have... My question is... how do I figure out sizing of my headers, if I do or do not have high flow cats, etc etc. I think I am running 1 3/4 kooks headers with x pipe and kooks mufflers...

If this is the case, is my setup bad/wrong w/o high flow cats? Will a muffler delete hurt my performance? Finally get to work on my car and learn, just want to know how to figure out what's on it! Thanks guys
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
I'm confused here. Did you pick the parts that were going into the car, or did you leave that up to him?

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Um, and it's pretty easy to tell what system you having my obtaining a picture of several and then comparing it to yours

Lmao, no a muffler delete won't hurt performance. Why would you assume this?

I just can't fathom how someone doesn't know what parts are going into his car.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
camslambam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
Um, and it's pretty easy to tell what system you having my obtaining a picture of several and then comparing it to yours

Lmao, no a muffler delete won't hurt performance. Why would you assume this?

I just can't fathom how someone doesn't know what parts are going into his car.
I ask about muffler deletes because when I was stock I lost significant time on 1/4 mile when I cut my mufflers out. I use to run low 13s constantly and when I took the mufflers off the car was running mid 13s constantly.... Was just a question. Sorry if it sounded dumb.

I was away on a trip when the car went into the shop and it came out with several modifications.

I left it up to him ultimately but went with Kooks headers and full exhaust, as he stated, KN intake, and ultimate had a JRE tune. Thing is, since I had a falling out, when I returned and picked up car, he refused to tell me size of headers, if it had high flow cats, etc etc.

I have very limited selections shop wise. At the time I wasn't thinking 100% into the car since I had so many work things going on and I left it up to the shop to pretty much "make" the car for me... BIG MISTAKE.

Now I am actively part of the car, as I will be pulling an all nighter on Friday with my mechanic to install the ls3 swap, ud pulley and jre blower cam. Will learn tons from it, just want to know how to definitely tell what exhaust system is on my car.

Simpler question: I have an x pipe, where do I look for high flow cats? How can I tell if I have them.

I simply do not know what was installed on my car.... Being where I am I have little to no choice in legal actions or pushing the matter further....Since this incident I am now modding the car myself buying the parts myself and assembling everything myself with some help
Old 12-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
You can look under your car to see if you have HF cats or not. You would probably have to measure the header tube to get an idea if it's a 1 3/4" or 1 7/8".

I would say that there is a good chance they are 1 3/4" headers since they would be cheaper but if he bought the complete KOOKS exhaust I think they only make it in a 1 7/8" header with a true 3" exhaust all the way back.

I think visually you're going to have a hard time distinguishing between a 1 3/4" vs 1 7/8" primary.

BTW: even if they are 1 3/4" there is nothing wrong with them. I have the 1 3/4" and my car made 412 rwhp where the average is 415 rwhp with the 1 7/8". You'll probably never feel the difference unless you go supercharged or turbo. Basic stuff, including a cam, should be fine.

If you can post some pictures of your engine compartment and underneath the car we can probably give you a better idea of what you have.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
caverman

Here is a pic of KOOKS with HF cats. The cats go right on the end of the Header collector.

I also found a basic picture of the underneath of my car. You can see the Cat is up close to the front right after the header.

If you don't have HF cats then you'll have the same section of pipe but it would be straight. No buldge or oval shape to it.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
caverman

Found an even better pic for you. This is LG Motorsports exhaust. You can see that it's connected with a straight pipe but they also show the optional HF cat that would go in it's place.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
AC
***GO HOGS GO***

Drives: 68/327 & 10 2SS SIM w/ CGM Stripes
nice work caverman....

if you still need help post some pics if you can.

ProCharger F1A, VMax TB, ID1000 Injectors, SW Headers, SW full 3" Exhaust, BMR Suspension & 4 Point Strut Tower Brace, 3.91 Gears, DBA Rotors
Heritage Grille, CCW SP16a Wheels 10"/11.5" Nitto 275/40 315/35, Painted Calipers, Blackout: Bowtie, Rear Panel, Markers & Side Vents,
SS Fender Badges, 6.2L Cowl Lettering, Pistol Grip Shifter, RPI SS Door Kick Plates, Billet Cup Holder, Fesler Shift Boot, Lloyd Floor Mats..(1/4: 12.917 @ 109.63)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
camslambam
Account Suspended

I just went downstairs and took pictures... Not very clear since car is so low.. But it was the best I could do.

I have 3 inch tips, and my headers say "Kooks Custom Headers."

Pics coming in a sec

AHA looking at those pics it seems I do have HF cats!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
camslambam
Account Suspended

Size of pipe.. measured to 3":

What I believe are my hi flow cats--These are right at the end like the picture shows.

Plaque that says "kooks custom headers"

Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
U look good... Is that the White stuff??? We dare not say the name of,lol...
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
camslambam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusdish View Post
U look good...

hm???? Sarcasm or actual? Can't tell

What white stuff??? Car is dirty. I got rained on today. Not cold here so if you're referring to salt, there's no salt on the roads.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
siriusdish

Your fine, Like the one post said Kooks makes 1 7/8
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
siriusdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post
hm???? Sarcasm or actual? Can't tell

What white stuff??? Car is dirty. I got rained on today. Not cold here so if you're referring to salt, there's no salt on the roads.
Looks like Snow on the ground..