Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #29
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencam View Post
You could try disconnecting your fans. Tie a strip of tissue paper on a stick and go hunting!
That sound doable LOL I might have to try that but I think the first thing I'm going to do is go through all the welds. Most of the noise seem to be coming from the passenger side. That side might be the culprit.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #30
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
That is one place I didn't check. I'm going to check that area first thing tomorrow. There's definitely no leaks around the top though. I been dealing with this noise for almost a year and I'm sure if there was a year worth of leak there should be some black soot but nothing.

Also, I just want to clarify that is not a rattle like a heat shield loose but it's more of a hiss mixed with a hand shaker instrument like in the pic. It's weird even trying to explain the noise LOL.
Im really saying that you might not see it from the outside. I think it may be a broken weld on the inside.

Like in the area like this picture, or a broken cat if you installed them at the same time
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #31
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Thanks black 10. Never thought of the welds on the inside. It definitely could be.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #32
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I have that raspy sound on mine also I thought its just exhaust gas passing through the manifold.

When I had the stock manifolds on that sound wus also there but it wasnt as noticable when I got mt LT's installed.

I always thought it wus normal.

Last edited by GEEo; 03-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
I have that raspy sound on mine also I thought its just exhaust gas passing through the manifold.

When I had the stock manifolds on that sound wus also there but it wasnt as noticable when I got mt LT's installed.

I always thought it wus normal.
That's what I thought too and didn't expect too much from a low priced LT header. Lived with the noise for almost a year. I'm starting to get tired of it and it's starting to become very annoying because part of my thought process always ask me, could there be a leak, weld broken, or even engine issue that I am not aware of. I know better next time. You get what you pay for I guess.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #34
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
That's what I thought too and didn't expect too much from a low priced LT header. Lived with the noise for almost a year. I'm starting to get tired of it and it's starting to become very annoying because part of my thought process always ask me, could there be a leak, weld broken, or even engine issue that I am not aware of. I know better next time. You get what you pay for I guess.
I just got my car tuned this weekend and I've been driving the car for a day now and for some reason the sound is gone. even if I try to make the car replicate the sound.

I asked my tuner over the phone if I had any leaks or anything on the exhaust and he said no. Also didn't notice the sound I wus hearing.

Maybe we're just to paranoid about our car bro? lol
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #35
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Reviving this thread because i have noticed the exact same issue. and its only during a 2k to 3k acceleration and in the beginning of my drive. it seems to go away after it heats up a bit.

by the way... why is this in the v8 section? this is for the v6 LLT
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #36
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Quote:
That is one place I didn't check. I'm going to check that area first thing tomorrow. There's definitely no leaks around the top though. I been dealing with this noise for almost a year and I'm sure if there was a year worth of leak there should be some black soot but nothing.

Also, I just want to clarify that is not a rattle like a heat shield loose but it's more of a hiss mixed with a hand shaker instrument like in the pic. It's weird even trying to explain the noise LOL.
I have the same noise. stainless power long tubes.. (noticed when you posted picture of the musical instrument..lol) We already searched for leaks and nothing. I guess its normal.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #37
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
Reviving this thread because i have noticed the exact same issue. and its only during a 2k to 3k acceleration and in the beginning of my drive. it seems to go away after it heats up a bit.

by the way... why is this in the v8 section? this is for the v6 LLT
Hello J_Vibe92,

Sorry to hear of the concerns you're experiencing as I'm sure that's displeasing for you. Feel free to private message regarding this issue and I can explore these matters further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I definitely used OEM gaskets. I really wish I could just do a quick header swap back to factory to confirm that it's the header but header swap on the v6 is not the same as the SS. It's a real PITA for the v6.

Does anyone know what would be another way to detect header leak other than visual inspection that I could do myself?
For external leaks...
1) Look under the hood at nite. You'll see flashes if/where there's a header exhaust leak.
or
2) Spray soapy water on the header, you'll see bubbles if/where there's a header exhaust leask.
or
3) Get a 3' hose. Put one end on top of each header port and the other end to you ear, you'll hear if/where there's a leak

You'll need to take them off to check for an inside collector leak.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #39
Jr305

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss “Rex”
I have that same problem after my Long tube install. It sounds like a small piece of paper flapping in the wind when you moderately give it gas.
Jr305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #40
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr305 View Post
I have that same problem after my Long tube install. It sounds like a small piece of paper flapping in the wind when you moderately give it gas.
Check your cats, internals May have come loose.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote