Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
klowny1969

Drives: 1991 Camaro 383 stroker
BC Racing Adjustable front and rear coilovers - VIDEO!!!

Here are two videos on the step by step process of installing BC Racing adjustable coilovers in the front and rear of a fifthgen camaro...enjoy

klowny1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
10' Camaro SC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 5th Gen 6spd SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by klowny1969 View Post
Here are two videos on the step by step process of installing BC Racing adjustable coilovers in the front and rear of a fifthgen camaro...enjoy

Very Impressive video man!!!

You go thru every step perfectly. I wish I had this when I Installed my coilovers. I'm most likely going to have to reinstall mine because probably going to change rear spring rates/front SWIFT springs upgrade w/new shocks to match.

This will be good to have to make sure i do it properly the second time also.

This should help a lot of members on here to feel more confident to do it on there own at home.

10' LS3 Camaro 2SS (blacked out) - Edelbrock Supercharger, ZL1 rims, 275/315 tires, XS Power LT headers, 3" exhaust, twin tips, Edelbrock CAI, ZL1 fuel pump/ADM FPCM, VMax ported TB, JRE fuel mod, TR6ix plugs, ZL1 spoiler/splitter/grille, KW V1 coilovers, BMR sway bars, strut tower brace, trailing arms, toe links, Prothane radius arm & subframe bushings, Slotted rotors, Hawk pads, SS brake lines, HURST short throw shifter, Scosche dash kit, Pioneer 7" radio, backup camera, Dyno - 520 rwhp/tq
10' Camaro SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Great video !! Should place this in the DIY section How's the ride now since the install compared to your previous set up?

Last edited by ActNup NY; 03-20-2016 at 04:13 PM.
ActNup NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Just did mine over the weekend. kept this video on my tablet next to me the whole time. Doing this install was so much easier than I expected because of it.

not to thread jack....but I've never had a CO suspension before and not the most knowledgeable on setting them up. They seem very bouncy to me. On full hard setting the car bounced like I was on cut springs. Full soft setting and it was a lot better but too soft for the performance feel I wanted. Did 5 clicks from full soft and it is good but if the road gets bouncy it feels like I'm driving on a trampoline. I set the springs like he did in the video...by hand as tight as I could and then used the tool to make the spacing between the two locks before tightening down.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
10' Camaro SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
Just did mine over the weekend. kept this video on my tablet next to me the whole time. Doing this install was so much easier than I expected because of it.

not to thread jack....but I've never had a CO suspension before and not the most knowledgeable on setting them up. They seem very bouncy to me. On full hard setting the car bounced like I was on cut springs. Full soft setting and it was a lot better but too soft for the performance feel I wanted. Did 5 clicks from full soft and it is good but if the road gets bouncy it feels like I'm driving on a trampoline. I set the springs like he did in the video...by hand as tight as I could and then used the tool to make the spacing between the two locks before tightening down.
This is basically exactly the same feeling I'm getting on my BC BR coilovers. I know the front is 8kg and the rear is 12kg. I was thinking about dropping the rear down to 10kg. I feel the rear is to stiff and should be better to match Pedders setup which is 10kg. As far as the front goes. I was thinking about upgrading to SWIFT springs. I just can't decide either to go 8kg or 10kg. The shocks would be valved for the new springs/rates.
10' LS3 Camaro 2SS (blacked out) - Edelbrock Supercharger, ZL1 rims, 275/315 tires, XS Power LT headers, 3" exhaust, twin tips, Edelbrock CAI, ZL1 fuel pump/ADM FPCM, VMax ported TB, JRE fuel mod, TR6ix plugs, ZL1 spoiler/splitter/grille, KW V1 coilovers, BMR sway bars, strut tower brace, trailing arms, toe links, Prothane radius arm & subframe bushings, Slotted rotors, Hawk pads, SS brake lines, HURST short throw shifter, Scosche dash kit, Pioneer 7" radio, backup camera, Dyno - 520 rwhp/tq
Old 03-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10' Camaro SC View Post
This is basically exactly the same feeling I'm getting on my BC BR coilovers. I know the front is 8kg and the rear is 12kg. I was thinking about dropping the rear down to 10kg. I feel the rear is to stiff and should be better to match Pedders setup which is 10kg. As far as the front goes. I was thinking about upgrading to SWIFT springs. I just can't decide either to go 8kg or 10kg. The shocks would be valved for the new springs/rates.
So pretty much stuck riding on the softest setting or buying new springs?
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
For the BC coilovers when putting the fronts together aren't you suppose to take off the upper spring isolator off of the upper spring mount? In the video it was left in place. For the coilovers I have seen that reuse the stock upper mount, you take the spring isolator off since the coilovers have their own.

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
10' Camaro SC

Quote:
So pretty much stuck riding on the softest setting or buying new springs?
Still trying figure out the best ride quality on these BC BR's. Still talking to several people to find out what is the best spring rates, options.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
10' Camaro SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
For the BC coilovers when putting the fronts together aren't you suppose to take off the upper spring isolator off of the upper spring mount? In the video it was left in place. For the coilovers I have seen that reuse the stock upper mount, you take the spring isolator off since the coilovers have their own.
That's correct.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10' Camaro SC View Post
Still trying figure out the best ride quality on these BC BR's. Still talking to several people to find out what is the best spring rates, options.
gotcha....looks like i'll be on the same mission or get used to the softest setting and learn to love it. I may call BC and get some options from them as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
I think he took it off but we didn't see. The isolator was a yellow foam color and in his video it wasn't there.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
gotcha....looks like i'll be on the same mission or get used to the softest setting and learn to love it. I may call BC and get some options from them as well

I think he took it off but we didn't see. The isolator was a yellow foam color and in his video it wasn't there.
I saw him leave it on in the video, you can still see the yellow under the spring before he puts it in the car. All other directions I have seen say to take it off, looked to me he left it on. Just wanted to make sure if people are using this video as reference they know the upper mount set up.

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #12
10' Camaro SC

Quote:

Alright. Let me know what you find out to see if we can make these coilovers better.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
10' Camaro SC

Quote:

Do you feel your poor ride quality is just the front or both front and rear?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #14
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:

Try 8 to 10 front And 10 to 12 rear. Keep 2 clicks more rear to control the rear. I run 11/14 but can co trol the bound on mine. I find below 8/10 is to soft, even 8/10 is bouncy per most peoples reports. See the threads on these as you have plenty of input to help you. Nature of these cheap coilovers, valving not good for the stiff springs, like having drop springs with stock shocks, not the best combo.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote