Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Angry Anger, Rage, Sadness, Heartbreak... My Poor Baby...

So I'm on my way to work today, obeying traffic laws and such, and I'm about a minute away from arriving... BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF was that?!?!?!?!??!

Green = Go, correct? That's what I thought, so that's what I did.

Red = Stop, correct? Apparently this guy disagreed... as he proceeded to ruin my brand new Camaro... T-boned as I was going through an intersection...

I have to give credit to GM on this one. I got hit full speed on the driver door, and I don't have a scratch on me. This car is definitely a beast.

Also, OnStar is incredible. Instant call, very friendly, very helpful... A+ right there. If anyone is wondering whether they should renew their subscription after the free year, I say DO IT, without question. I will be, for sure.

Now onto the damage... it doesn't look too bad, but in all honesty, I'm really hoping it gets totaled... I would much prefer to have a brand new car, than to have a car that's been fixed. That will also kill the resale value I'd assume. I mean those side airbags are pretty expensive I'd assume, and it seems like they'd have to replace the whole front and rear panels (can those be reshaped? )... Plus, with the rear panel being so large (almost the entire car), what can they even do? So, fingers crossed in hoping I can just order a new car...

But until then, words cannot describe how angry I am. Of course I'm grateful that no one was hurt, but I am still furious that this happened. I did not go talk to the guy who hit me, because I probably would've killed him. The officer said he had insurance though, and I saw him walking around, so I suppose he is fine.

Ugh, I'm so devastated, I don't even know what to do right now... I haven't even had her for 2 weeks yet... only 790 miles...

:(

Here are all of the pics I took with my cell phone...

EDIT:

Thank you all for your love and support... I have read, and will continue to read, every single one of your posts. I love this family

A few people have asked what the other car was... I'm not sure. It was an old POS, I do know that much. I didn't go near it though, nor the other driver, in fear of what might have come out of my mouth.

Also I've seen some mention about suing for diminished value... if they do decide to fix my car, could I really do that? I've never heard of that. Also, if they do end up totaling it, and I get a new car... could I still call it diminished value? I'd hope so, since my car was an R6P (pre-order) car, and there are only a limited number of those...

Another note, and just to clarify, about the light situation... I was not stopped at the light. The light turned green before I had reached it, so I was still moving at full speed (probably around 40 mph). The other guy had to have missed his light by at least 3-5 seconds, which is way too long to think you can "make" a light. Also, I did have a witness. A guy came up to me and the police officer, gave me his card, and said he had to go to work. He said he was driving beside me and the light was definitely green for me. So I sure as hell hope the other guy got a ticket, but I definitely didn't.

I didn't take any pics of the interior because it was hard to see, with the curtain airbags hanging down. I have to assume the driver door interior was damaged somehow, but I couldn't see it from the passenger side because of the airbags. On the passenger seat, I did see a couple pieces of what looked like glass... I picked it up, and determined it was plastic from somewhere, but I couldn't figure out where. The windows were not broken, so I have to assume it was from the airbags or part of the side panels maybe.

Someone mentioned using the cutters to get me out of the car... that probably would've been cool, since the driver door would not budge. I tried as hard as I could to get it open, and it just wouldn't move at all. I ended up crawling over to the passenger seat and exiting that door.

I really think that the best I can hope for is a total loss... even if it were to be fixed, and look like new, I would still be concerned about safety. Would the car still hold up if the same thing were to happen? Would the airbags be installed properly? Would the OnStar sensors still work? Would the door panel be lined up perfectly? Would I eventually start to hear rattles, or have other issues because of the repairs? And, of course, the value of the car...

EDIT 2:

I forgot to mention about the insurance. Michigan has no-fault insurance, which means my insurance company will be paying for the damage (or new car) regardless of whose fault it was, but my premiums will not go up, as long as the police report shows that the accident was not my fault. The only thing the other guys insurance will pay for, on my end, is my deductible which is $500. I have had this happen to 2 other vehicles, and my insurance company (Farm Bureau) has been extremely helpful in the process. I have never had to pay a dime out of my own pocket, and I even came out slightly ahead. If they pay the market value for this car, I could hope to see something in the range of a few grand above MSRP. I don't want to sound greedy, but I am really hoping for that... if for nothing else, to cover the loss of value I'd be incurring regardless of which route this situation goes.

EDIT 3:

Well, so far it's not looking like a total loss. Preliminary estimate from the body shop was around $9,000 and he guessed about 3-4 weeks. He also said that most of the parts aren't even in the computer yet, so a lot of it was just guessing based on previous models. I asked if there was any damage to the frame, and he says there wasn't. I'm still waiting to hear back from the insurance company to see what the adjustor says...

Also, my insurance agent said he never heard of the diminished value thing... any idea of how I can find out more info on this?
Attached Images

Last edited by DDustiNN; 07-13-2009 at 12:40 PM.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
DDustiNN - Sorry to see that bud! Absolutely sucks.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
OMG dustin.....

i seriously just gasped.....

i am so sorry that happened.....
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
ssdavidw
Camaro OCD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS, RS, RJT
Wow!!! First of all I'm glad you're ok.

Second wow!!

Whichever way it goes, I hope it gets resolved for you quickly.

2010 Camaro - Red Jewel Tintcoat, 2SS, RS, Auto, Black Interior, Cyber Gray Rally Stripes
ssdavidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Glad you are OK The whole structural rigidity of the car has been compromised. They can replace the doors and panels however the solid structure that is the frame cannot be banged out without weakening it. I think this would qualify as a total loss..
Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Kvapil28

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Glad you are ok. You can replace a car not a life.
Kvapil28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
CajunCamaroChic

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, ABM "Bella"
OMG......that is what my car would look like (Ok, when I get it) and it gets wrecked..... I feel so bad for you......really, really bad! Glad you're OK and the side airbags did their job!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I am so so so sorry to hear this. This would be my worst nightmare. I hope they do total it, because it won't be the same again, with overspray, paints not quite matching perfectly, bent frame, not totally lined up sheet metal, etc.

Glad to hear you are ok and see the Camaro saved you from a bruisin. Good to know the Onstar works and the side airbags. Best of luck to you and we share in your pain.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Ouuuuuch! So glad YOU weren't hurt! But that sucks about your car! Especially sad to see it on a flatbed with "We Buy Junk Cars" on the side. :(
Old 07-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Sorry about the wreck and sorry to tell you that will be fixed not totalled. New door, some quarter panel work, some front fender work, and a few other things. Should be around 10,000.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
authenticnikes

Drives: Camaro
Glad you're okay! sux for the car, but glad it did it's job and left you walking a perfect line. That driver sux! he should have his license revoked.
authenticnikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I hope they total it for you, too. I'd be sick driving around knowing my car had been badly hurt before.

Dispatching cleanup crew for the <insertexpletiveshere> that hit you..

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone View Post
Sorry about the wreck and sorry to tell you that will be fixed not totalled. New door, some quarter panel work, some front fender work, and a few other things. Should be around 10,000.
Bags will be 10 grand alone....
Old 07-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Most importantly, you're ok.

Second most important, it totally sucks to see another Camaro crashed...and a blue one, at that!
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote