Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
hisinc

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM
Showdown: IOM vs Black

I have been debating whether to burden you all with this question, cause I know the decision is ultimately mine... and based on what I like.. BUT that is the problem.. I LIKE both and keep flip flopping each time I see one or the other. Anyway, I figure maybe some of you had the same turmoil when deciding on colors so here goes.

Planning to order me a 2011 2LT RS. I will likely upgrade to the 21" GM wheels the ones mainly silver/chrome with the black accents, and definitely getting around a 20% tint. I cannot come to a firm conclusion between two colors... IOM with black racing stripes VS Black with IOM racing stripes. Now these colors are way apart on the color spectrum, and I have tried weighing all the pros/cons for each. Wondering if there is anybody else out there that was trying decide between these two colors, and what did you decide, and did you wish you had picked the other color? For example, I think the black would look great with those wheels, and like the chrome gas tank door, and the chrome gill inserts... I would also want to switch out the grill on the black because I think it needs some sort of contrast there instead of black on black. On the other hand, black does not seem to show the curves of the car or make you look twice like the brighter colors ( I see a lot of black ones around here), hence IOM. IOM I would not have to do much to the exterior look, maybe still add some gill inserts, the wheels, maybe a heritage grill down the line..and though I've seen IOM at the dealers, I have not seen one on the road since last year. I don't want a "red" car and wonders how much IOM really looks like red on a daily basis, and if this would bother me over time. I have heard that the cool part is it seems to change colors depending on lighting. I've never had a bright colored car before, so not sure how it does with showing dirt, pollen, etc. I wish I could by both and then the problem would be solved, but since that is not the case, I would be interested to hear from others that were between these two. The 2011 info wll be out soon, so I need to make a decision (unless they add some other color that really messes me up on choice). It's so bad that everytime I see a cool picture of one I add it to a folder so that I can go back to the folder and analyze the two in order to make a decision.

So let the showdown begin... IOM vs Black.... what you like, what you dislike, what did YOU choose?

Thanks in advance... I love this site and the people on the site!
hisinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
There is nothing like a black car
when the paint is prefect
but man that inferno orange grows on you and then wham
got to go with th iom over the black
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Black is Sexy (When Clean). I chose black..
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Black is beautiful but so hard to maintain!

IOM...just plain sexy!

I'd go IOM over black...
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
yuioutta

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS M6
I have had 3 different black Camaros and one black pickup, loved the way they all looked. Black is my all time favorite color but..... I got so tired of trying to keep them clean and detailing them that this time I went with IOM. Really happy with my decision and have no regrets. The orange does look different as lighting changes. Still love the look of black on these cars though.
yuioutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
love black,but my last car was black and it was a pain to keep the swirl marks off.that is why i went with the iom.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
IOM doesnt look red at all in person. In pictures that are taken with too dark of an exposure or at night it will look a little red but not in person. Both colors are great, just make up your mind and dont look back, you can drive yourself crazy if you keep second guessing it.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I liked the menacing look of black. Hard to keep clean? Heck yes. But boy is it ever worth it when you look at those beautiful lines carved in Black! YOWZERS!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Take the IOM, skip the 21" wheels and use the funds to get some nice aftermarket wheels. jmho.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros

IOM is Awesome
Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
2SSRSB

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Inferno Orange
Black is awesome and makes the car look mean. It's also a very common color for all makes of cars... hmmmmmm.

2010 2SS RS
Born December 9, 2009
2SSRSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Dforce0990
Deployed Again.

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs iom
Send a message via AIM to Dforce0990 Send a message via Yahoo to Dforce0990 Send a message via Skype™ to Dforce0990
I have the iom w/ black rally's coming, and there are two guys i ride with with black and iom rally's. Both are sexy. and grab alot of attention. the iom is more noticable by everyone to include cops (personal experience) then the black which would fade away with traffice. also i tend to go against the grain, and not with it. so i picked a in your face color. but forewarning, if you get a iom, be prepared to defend your car because many will say what a nice shade of red it is...
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM Int. #191,037 Welcome Home "Kayla"!

"...But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men."
Dforce0990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I've brought up the SAME thread before, dude. The results were mixed. While the poll suggested IOM with black stripes, the posts catered more towards black with orange stripes. I eventually ended up with black & orange stripes.

If you take good care of the car, you can make even a black paint job look nice around the clock. How a car looks is completely under your control, but what color the paint is going to be is not once you buy it. If you want a real orange, then you're not going to get it with IOM at certain times of the day.

Here's the thread I started, it's basically your EXACT same question -
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66689

I hope it helps.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
go both ways!

Get the IOM and paint the top 1/2 black! Someone on the forum did that and it came out awesome!
Attached Images

2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote