Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #1079
DGM

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS - Ashen Gray
any update on vacuum, I get 12 also... heard that could be normal.. I checked for leaks but didn't come up with one
"WIDOW" Overkill Edition w/Mace Cams,80mm tb,Jacfab spacer/ported intake,Alky Control,ARH off road pipes,SOLO custom system,3.91 gears, MGW,Phantom grilles,ZL1 appearance pkge, 3dCarbon vents, Lingenfelter hood and spoiler, PLX boost/wideband modules/gauge,ZL1 fuel pump,LF3 hpfp,DSS aluminum driveshaft,JPSS sway bars, Z28 replica wheels and CxRacing coilovers..
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #1080
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
any update on vacuum, I get 12 also... heard that could be normal.. I checked for leaks but didn't come up with one
Not really, I'll have time to get back on it tomorrow so hopefully I'll figure something out. But I do remember you doing the mace cams. I'm not sure how different they are but that might affect your engines vacuum. But I feel like 12 is way too low.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #1081
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post

Hey DGM! How has the build been going man? Cams still working well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #1082
DGM

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS - Ashen Gray
I'm very happy it came with a lot of frustration but Will is dialing them in��
"WIDOW" Overkill Edition w/Mace Cams,80mm tb,Jacfab spacer/ported intake,Alky Control,ARH off road pipes,SOLO custom system,3.91 gears, MGW,Phantom grilles,ZL1 appearance pkge, 3dCarbon vents, Lingenfelter hood and spoiler, PLX boost/wideband modules/gauge,ZL1 fuel pump,LF3 hpfp,DSS aluminum driveshaft,JPSS sway bars, Z28 replica wheels and CxRacing coilovers..
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #1083
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
I added another safety feature today. I put a fitting in each side of the intercooler with removable caps. This way I can remove the caps every so often and make sure I'm not collecting oil again. This will be a quick easy way to check without removing my bumper and boost piping. Maybe it's not needed but it will make me sleep better at night.
That's a good idea. Seems like a little better than just drilling holes as long as you remember to check them. Think Alice mentioned doing that on his builds before.
Did you get it tuned and broke in yet?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #1084
JantzenOKC

I went on a 2nd drive this morning. I think I have a pretty good seat on the rings now.

I've been talking to Julio at Alky Control about putting a meth kit on the car. I planned on doing it later on but I think it will be better to go ahead and do it now before I take it to GPI for tuning. So another $800 and another couple weeks.

Last edited by JantzenOKC; 05-25-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #1085
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Man are you able to at least do some pulls in it yet? That would be killing me!

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #1086
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
Man are you able to at least do some pulls in it yet? That would be killing me!

I've done mid throttle pulls in 2nd gear up to about 5k and then let it decel back down at about half throttle or so(for ring seating). Nothing too crazy because I'm still on the old tune. But from what I can tell she is going to be a beast! The converter will probably make more difference than anything else I've done. Can't wait.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #1087
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
Thought I would confirm normal vacuum levels for the V6.
Idle, neutral, A/C off----------------17-18 inches.
Idle, neutral, A/C on----------------14-15 inches
Idle, in gear, A/C on----------------14-15 inches
Cruise, maintaining 1500 RPM-----11-12 inches
Cruise, maintaining 1800 RPM-----12 inches
Cruise, maintaining 2000 RPM-----10 inches
Deceleration from 2000 RPM-------21 inches

I hope this helps you in your comparison so you have a better idea of what is going on in your new engine and don't have to second guess any leaks or cam timing issues. These DI engines don't have a whole lot of vacuum, that's for sure.
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #1088
alice

Jantzen! I PM'd you concerning an ALKY meth kit I have available for sale for the V6. Absolutely perfect in every respect. Let me know.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #1089
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
Thought I would confirm normal vacuum levels for the V6.
Idle, neutral, A/C off----------------17-18 inches.
Idle, neutral, A/C on----------------14-15 inches
Idle, in gear, A/C on----------------14-15 inches
Cruise, maintaining 1500 RPM-----11-12 inches
Cruise, maintaining 1800 RPM-----12 inches
Cruise, maintaining 2000 RPM-----10 inches
Deceleration from 2000 RPM-------21 inches

I hope this helps you in your comparison so you have a better idea of what is going on in your new engine and don't have to second guess any leaks or cam timing issues. These DI engines don't have a whole lot of vacuum, that's for sure.
Thanks Monty, I'm definitely not seeing that much vacuum. Magnum thinks it's probably in the tune settings as to why my vacuum is low. I'm hoping for that.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #1090
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
Jantzen! I PM'd you concerning an ALKY meth kit I have available for sale for the V6. Absolutely perfect in every respect. Let me know.
Thanks, I'd love to save the money but I've already been talking to Julio about it and went ahead and ordered a kit from him. It will be worth the extra money to have his help, I've never messed with methanol before and he seems VERY knowledgeable about it.

I went ahead and got a twin 10# nozzle setup and the 4 gallon trunk tank.

It's time for Marilyn to get hooked on meth!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #1091
alice

Glad you did, in fact, get meth. Julio is very knowledgeable and the meth will really help out in higher boost levels, safety margins and even help clean the intake valves! Great bang for the buck!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:26 AM   #1092
alice

Concerning your intercooler drain caps you installed. Great idea but I have one suggestion that assures any liquid gets out before it gets to the engine incase you forget to open them. In the drain cap, POST intercooler, simply drill a .030 diameter hole in the cap and leave it open. I have done many, many builds over the years with this feature so you don't have to worry about it and it takes care of itself. And I don't care what anyone says, an .030 diameter hole is not going to change boost levels in anyway that can be measured except with very precision test equipment. It is negligible. I did testing on that years ago and couldn't even detect any difference. ALL my builds have this feature and have never had a water or oil slug build up. It's maintenance free!!!

Concerning your vacuum levels, if you haven't figured anything out, take my data and duplicate it with you vehicle and record and post it for comparison. Let's analyze the data and see exactly how far off you are. I can't comment unless I see the comparison at the same levels. Good luck.