Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #43
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
I can guarantee you that my dealership is not going to jeopardize their relationship with GM by "manipulating" my dinky little warranty claim.

Dealership do not have to call GM for pre-approval on every warranty job. They are authorized to make their judgment calls.

Alfie
OK fair enough... I understand the "Dinky" warranty Issues....Have something go in the Valve train or something like that and see if your Dealer will pay for it...just sayin..not looking for an argument

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Last edited by Badger; 02-07-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #44
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=120209&page=3

Post #72

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #45
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
The dealer can't make the decision, but with experience, they can gamble on wether or not they believe GM will pay them for it.

MOST warranty work the dealer knows it will be covered so they just do it.

But if they gamble and take care of it, they may have to eat the cost. OR try to pass it on to the customer which would be tuff because they had already told the customer it would be covered.

It gives the appearance that they can make the decision.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #46
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Had some issues w/ my ford pickup that required a reflash. I had no custom tune. When I got it back, the dealer showed me this giant sticker they put under they hood. Basically, one of those holographic can't be removed type stickers showing the date of reflash and the dealer that did it. We had a chat about tuning. I was told they WILL find that you reflashes which is why they do the sticker showing that they did it.

You can't hide the reflash from the dealer. Like someone else said above, that's why none of the tune companies will say they'll pay for your denied warranty claim.
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #47
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
From what I have read for a bolt-on LS3 car the tune mainly removes the LT CEL and removes torque management. If I keep my Camaro longer than 5 years then a Cam and a tune will rejuvenate my interest in the car. Until then there is a ton of other mods to have fun with.

But if this were a weekend only car then no holds barred to the limit of my $$.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #48
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Sorry to dig this out, but my car is in the shop (Dealer), so far so good, no one has called to tell me my warranty is no good! Fingers crossed!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #49
ponbigi

Drives: 2011 CAMARO LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
You may want to look at this article from GM.
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...-coverage.html

So, it says "after market wheels and tires" That scares me as I want to get different rims and tires

Non-GM vehicle modifications may include:
  • Installation of non-GM accessories
  • Installation of suspension lowering or lift kits
  • Installation of aftermarket tires and/or wheels
Does that mean they can void my warranty if I upgrade the rims and tires outside of GM. They recently said to me that they would no un-lock the govy on the car if i upgraded and I asked if i upgraded through them? Seems like they want their cake and eat it to..
ponbigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #50
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponbigi View Post
So, it says "after market wheels and tires" That scares me as I want to get different rims and tires

Non-GM vehicle modifications may include:
  • Installation of non-GM accessories
  • Installation of suspension lowering or lift kits
  • Installation of aftermarket tires and/or wheels
Does that mean they can void my warranty if I upgrade the rims and tires outside of GM. They recently said to me that they would no un-lock the govy on the car if i upgraded and I asked if i upgraded through them? Seems like they want their cake and eat it to..
they can't void your powertrain warranty because you change your tires and wheels.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #51
csjcsj

So far so good for me, don't even think they checked for a tune, already took tranny out, ordered parts, and said it should be ready by Friday! Fingers are crossed!!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #52
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
they can't void your powertrain warranty because you change your tires and wheels.

Well depends if you go in with nitto's or slicks. I seen a few gen 4's and GTO's that were denied warranty due them having these on.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #53
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I'd really like to hear from owners who have actually had warranty denials, not speculation. If dealers are in fact checking on this I am sure there will be members who have had problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Yeah, you hear a lot of talk about it voiding the warranty, but I have yet to read a thread up here where it has happen to someone in their new Camaro. I may be wrong, but I sure don't remember one. I'm not doing it though.
There's tons of stories floating around on here that detail what happened to people who's warranties have been voided by tuning, etc.

Look around and you will find them. I have read them...and they have been discussed quite a bit.

FWIW, don't believe the "you can flash it back and no one will ever know" jazz...if they do the snapshot and send it off, you're screwed.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #54
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I really can't understand why people would mod their cars if they are worried about warranty. Why put yourself in through that stress? If you can't afford the potential cost of repairing your car out of your own pocket, then don't make warranty-voiding alterations until after the warranty expires. It really is that simple.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #55
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Here is what Harley dealers used to do. I am sure that if you know your local Chevy dealer, they would do the same. The Harley dealers would honor your warranty if it was modified by THEM. If they put in a hot cam and you paid them to do it, they would honor your warranty. If you had someone else do it you were screwed. I had brand new bikes with after market cams, pipes, air cleaners,(air box removal) and performance ignition modules and was covered under warranty. One of my friends got catalytic converters replaced with a supercharger installed on his GTO under warranty, so it depends.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #56
csjcsj

I can afford it if I had to, just don't want to! Guess you could say trying to beat the system!