Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Dann

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro Bumblebee
need an explanation

I have a 2010 LS and a buddy of mine has a 2005(?) SRT4 Neon and is always getting under my skin that his car is faster then mine. I understand that weight is a huge factor between the two but I'm constantly having to justify why I won't street race or race at a drag strip. Street racing is illegal and dangerous is why I refuse to do that but as far as strips, I won't unless its another muscle car.

Am I wrong when I say for it to be fair I'd have to add either a Turbo or supercharger to mine just to even it or when he shows me a video of a stage 3 turbo neon against a stock SS that's not far odds and its like a little lap dog barking at a full size dog? Isn't that why there's classes when racing? You wouldn't put a formula 1 against a nascar and call that fair

Thanks guys, after two years its really starting to bug me lol
Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
You drive a street car, and so does he...nothing like a formula 1 vs NASCAR...you can just tell him you'll lose and his car is faster if that's how you feel
Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
78RS_to_112SS
Finally back in a Camaro

Drives: was 1978 RS, NOW 2011 Camaro 2SS
My son in law also has an SRT4, I think he is now at stage 3 with bigger turbo etc. I don't even want to know how much $$$ he has in that thing but I know for sure, I will not race him under ANY circumstance, not worth it...
Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
why does it matter if his car is faster than yours?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
Dann, its a neon!!! dont sweat it. It has as much appeal as a ladybug
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post
Dann, its a neon!!! dont sweat it. It has as much appeal as a ladybug
+1, his needs to be faster to get away before people see him driving it. You can spend some money and run him down, but why?? Let him run away with his cr*ppy car and you cruise along and enjoy the looks you get in yours.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Dann

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro Bumblebee
I forgot to mention he's 21 and I'm 24. And the looks I get are always a good feeling, especially the female variety, while he gets none unless its a teen who just watched fast and furious. Am I right though they're different classes so its not a valid statement?
Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
I have a 2010 LS and a buddy of mine has a 2005(?) SRT4 Neon and is always getting under my skin that his car is faster then mine. I understand that weight is a huge factor between the two but I'm constantly having to justify why I won't street race or race at a drag strip. Street racing is illegal and dangerous is why I refuse to do that but as far as strips, I won't unless its another muscle car.

Am I wrong when I say for it to be fair I'd have to add either a Turbo or supercharger to mine just to even it or when he shows me a video of a stage 3 turbo neon against a stock SS that's not far odds and its like a little lap dog barking at a full size dog? Isn't that why there's classes when racing? You wouldn't put a formula 1 against a nascar and call that fair

Thanks guys, after two years its really starting to bug me lol
Quote:
I forgot to mention he's 21 and I'm 24. And the looks I get are always a good feeling, especially the female variety, while he gets none unless its a teen who just watched fast and furious. Am I right though they're different classes so its not a valid statement?
A race is a race is a race is a race. Just race him if you want to, if you don't want to because you're scared his car will mop yours, then just don't race him and call it a day. It's not a valid statement. They are street cars. When I go to the track, I don't look at a GT-R next to me and say "Well you have two less cylinders but also twin turbos, I don't wanna race". You just run your car and whatever the outcome is, that's what it is. There will always be someone faster. Some a lot faster, some barely faster to the point where if you can improve your driving you may be able to beat them.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post
Dann, its a neon!!! dont sweat it. It has as much appeal as a bag of #^%$#^

Im just saying... Its just a neon. This guy sounds like a dbag....
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
From she is out of my league, "Not even the creator of the Neon drives a Neon...."
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
maverickmage

Drives: Camaro V6 LS
Quote:
They're not different classes. It's not like you're comparing your car to a purpose built race car or anything. Just admit to your friend that he'll beat you in a car race.
maverickmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
A race is a race is a race is a race. Just race him if you want to, if you don't want to because you're scared his car will mop yours, then just don't race him and call it a day. It's not a valid statement. They are street cars. When I go to the track, I don't look at a GT-R next to me and say "Well you have two less cylinders but also twin turbos, I don't wanna race". You just run your car and whatever the outcome is, that's what it is. There will always be someone faster. Some a lot faster, some barely faster to the point where if you can improve your driving you may be able to beat them.
agreed!! Line them up and see what happens! For all we know your buddy might choke and red light, fall asleep at the tree, blow his launch, etc.... You just never know!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Don't sweat it. If he's stock, throw on some mods and you will hang with him. If he's been modding it, then just let it go. Once you go FI then you can keep adding power until it grenades, so there's nothing you can do to keep up with him unless you want to play the same game. You always have him beat in the sexy factor.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
This is a case of someone being scared that they just might get beat by a 4 banger POS. Don't sweat it, you can't win them all ,and no one has the fastest car. There is always someone faster.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote