Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
got to drive a vette today

so Ive been staying at my cousins house for the past couple days and today I went out to buy groceries for them. And my cousins neighbor happens to own a corvette a base model but still. I pull into my cousins driveway when my cousins neighbor comes out. He sees me get out of my camaro and he strikes up a conversation he said I had a nice car I said thank u and he told me he drove a vette and I said nice and he asked me if i wanted to take it for a spin so I said yea. I'm not a fan of corvette's but it did feel awesome to be driving one. I didn't really like the interior that much but I did get a thrill from driving it. Anyway heres some of my thoughts on my camaro vs my cousins neighbors corvette.

The camaro we all know is fast but it doesn't feel like it. The corvette is fast and it felt like it. for those of you who don't live in the chino hills area theres a huge wide mountainous road thats usually empty. My cousins neighbor was nice enough to let me drive on this road and I hit 75 goin on the uphill side and I got such a rush from jus hittin 75 goin downhill I hit 95 and got a real huge adrenaline boost from it eventually I hit the brakes though.

The camaro handles really good. But the corvette was wayy better at its handling and turning than the camaro. The corvettes turned felt very smooth and easy compared to the camaro. Obviously becuase of how light the corvette is compared to the camaro.

Anyway just thought Id share my experience and opinion with you guys. And I will admit I have a new appreciation for the corvettes.

Last edited by AMPM1678; 08-05-2010 at 10:42 AM.
AMPM1678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
vettes are fun to drive.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
vettes are fun to drive.
yea i had alotta fun driving that vette
Old 08-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPM1678 View Post
so Ive been staying at my cousins house for the past couple days and today I went out to buy groceries for them. And my cousins neighbor happens to own a corvette a base model but still. I pull into my cousins driveway when my cousins neighbor comes out. He sees me get out of my camaro and he strikes up a conversation he said I had a nice car I said thank u and he told me he drove a vette and I said nice and he asked me if i wanted to take it for a spin so I said yea. I'm not a fan of corvette's but it did feel awesome to be driving one. I didn't really like the interior that much but I did get a thrill from driving it. Anyway heres some of my thoughts on my camaro vs my cousins neighbors corvette.

The camaro we all know is fast but it doesn't feel like it. The corvette is fast and it felt like it. for those of you who don't live in the chino hills area theres a huge wide mountainous road thats usually empty. My cousins neighbor was nice enough to let me drive on this road and I hit 75 goin on the uphill side and I got such a rush from jus hittin 75 goin downhill I hit 95 and got a real huge adrenaline boost from it eventually I hit the brakes though.

The camaro handles really good. The corvette was about the same handle lvl as the camaro but it did feel just a little bit smoother on the turns and curves. probably since its much lighter.

Anyway just thought Id share my experience and opinion with you guys. And I will admit I have a new appreciation for the corvettes.
I guess I can describe the same feeling of my car feeling lighter, faster and more responsive when turning with my new Mustang 5.0 vs my Camaro SS I drove for a year. The lighter weight has a lot to do with it. I bet the 6th gen Camaro will shed quite a few pounds to improve upon that. The Camaro is a lot better than the Challenger I test drove in the turns without a doubt in comparison. I haven't driven a Corvette however I'm pretty sure it feels better in the turns and lighter than the Mustang..lol.. I have to give it a test drive one of these days..
Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
After driving a C5Z or a C6 of any variety going back to these heavy muscle cars sucks. lol.

I drove my coworkers C6 Z06 right after he bought it and the GTO felt like a slow pig afterwards.
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
I like my Camaro and love my Vette
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
I like my Camaro and love my Vette
Humm. maybe that is because the Camaro is your wifes and the Vette is yours.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
LS1owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS- SOLD!!
Drove a fully loaded 08 C6 at the dealer and it was quite a machine. the interior was pretty crappy though., especially for a car with a 64k sticker like this one had. Think of an M3 for 64k...WAY better. A vette is great discounted sub 50k...not fully loaded.
LS1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Quote:
The camaro handles really good. The corvette was about the same handle lvl as the camaro but it did feel just a little bit smoother on the turns and curves. probably since its much lighter.
This may sound like a put-down but I don't mean it that way. If the Corvette's handling level felt about the same as the Camaro- it means you were nowhere near the handling limits. Corvettes have some really amazingly scary limits.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1owner View Post
Drove a fully loaded 08 C6 at the dealer and it was quite a machine. the interior was pretty crappy though., especially for a car with a 64k sticker like this one had. Think of an M3 for 64k...WAY better. A vette is great discounted sub 50k...not fully loaded.
I have to agree with this that was the only thing I didn't like about the vette the interior looked like it was from like 2001 or 2002. But its performance makes up for its crappy interior cuz once I got the vette out on the road I forgot all about how bad the interior was
Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I guess I can describe the same feeling of my car feeling lighter, faster and more responsive when turning with my new Mustang 5.0 vs my Camaro SS I drove for a year. The lighter weight has a lot to do with it. I bet the 6th gen Camaro will shed quite a few pounds to improve upon that. The Camaro is a lot better than the Challenger I test drove in the turns without a doubt in comparison. I haven't driven a Corvette however I'm pretty sure it feels better in the turns and lighter than the Mustang..lol.. I have to give it a test drive one of these days..
yea I test drove a challenger as well when I was deciding between a camaro mustang or challenger and the challenger while turning felt very boat like to me which was a big turn off.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
FloydSummerOf68

Drives: Corvette
Quote:
The camaro handles really good. The corvette was about the same handle lvl as the camaro ...
lol, what???

Both are fantastic cars for what they are built for, but the Camaro is not even close when it comes to driving characteristics around turns.

I raced with a friend at a local road course who had his SS fully converted to coiloivers with huge swaybars and it handled pretty well, but the weight still hindered it compared to the C6.
FloydSummerOf68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
After driving a C5Z or a C6 of any variety going back to these heavy muscle cars sucks. lol.

I drove my coworkers C6 Z06 right after he bought it and the GTO felt like a slow pig afterwards.
I have to disagree with you on this as much fun as I had driving that vette and the adrenaline rush it gave me I was more than happy to be back in my camaro within a couple hours later yea the camaro felt a lot more rougher than ti did b4 but that was cuz I was just coming off the vette by the time I got on the freeway the camaro felt just as smooth as it did before.