Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Check out this thread, they come on with the dome light only either when the doors or opened, the switch etc. very easy.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54183
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacamaro View Post
is there any way for the lights to do both without the switch? that's my biggest concern to buying it....
no... you cant do that without a switch.

if you hook it up with the dome light... then it will only come on when the dome light does. (so, if doors are shut.... dome light must be turned on manually up top)

if you want to turn on the floor lights BUT NOT the dome light.. you will have to have a second power source.

All you have to do, is put a switch under the dash... tap into the dome light, like everybody else does.... but instead of running that wire to the LEDS, you run it to a switch. from that switch, you run a wire to your LEDS.
then hook into another wire that has power whenever you want (such as dash lights or power outlet) and run that wire to your switch.

and there you go. flip switch from left to right and it changes which power source is feeding the lights.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #17
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubjag View Post
It is fairly easy to install. If you tap the wires to the dome light wire then it only comes on when the dome light is on.

Here is a picture of mine

call me an idiot, but how do you "tap" into a wire such as the dome light wire?

and how would I even know which wire is the dome light wire?
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #18
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
@ road warrior

WOW! thanks for the detailed explanation, but since I'm new to even tapping into wires I think I'm going to leave the lights to just turning on when the dome light turns on lol
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
cubjag

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
You buy a t-tap connector clamp it on the grey dome light wire near your pedals and plug in the led light wire to it. It's pretty simple. There is a DIY with pictures located somewhere on the forum.
cubjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacamaro View Post
@ road warrior

WOW! thanks for the detailed explanation, but since I'm new to even tapping into wires I think I'm going to leave the lights to just turning on when the dome light turns on lol
Here is the SUPER SIMPLE way to do it then..... that second power wire... run it under the dash to the left.. to the fuse box.... pull out the fuse for your power outlet (like u use for phone car charger)take your hot wire, wrap the metal around one leg of the fuse.. and stick it back into the fuse box.

Its about as simple as can be. The LEDs will not draw enough juice to cause any damage, and it is 150% reversible if you ever want to go back and put in a permanent wire.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #21
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
LIGHTS

I plan on hooking up the kit early next week if my package arrives. My hawk brakes are being delivered Friday but don't know when my lights are coming damn USPS:(
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote