Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
magnaflow and AFM

i have utilized the search function but i apologize if this question has been asked many times before. i just got my 2013 2SS and i have researched exhaust setups and im wanting my car to be loud and sound mean as hell. i am looking really hard at the magnaflow competition 16580 catback, for anyone who has this setup, is the drone a problem? also if i decide to get a tuner,which one is the best? i do have quite a bit of vehicle knowledge but this is my first camaro, any help and tips will be GREATLY appreciated.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
This thread will probably get moved to the exhaust section. Straight up, here is what I would do if I had to do it over. Read and research alot before making decisions. Leave the stock exhaust on until you are ready to tune. After market exhausts make the AFM noises irritating. When you are ready, then get familiar with Ted Jannetty at JRE. You said loud and mean. Well that means headers. Do it all at one time. JRE has package deals. CAI cold air intake, Dynatech headers with highflow cats, and a custom tune using the SCT X3 hand held device. Also get a catback that connects to your highflow cats. No drone Corsa is what I have. Do this and you will not be disappointed. Here is a link to an option. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251577

This post is a short answer to alot of reading and researching. Plan on spending alot of time researching this forum. Try using the google search option when searching. Better results

Last edited by GMTool; 10-19-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
GMTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Then keep on looking. I have magnaflow comp and it isn't very loud. Just deeper and with AFM. Forget it. When it kicks down to 4 it sounds like an off key tuba.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Then keep on looking. I have magnaflow comp and it isn't very loud. Just deeper and with AFM. Forget it. When it kicks down to 4 it sounds like an off key tuba.
Get headers and solo high flows with tune. Then wahtever catback you want.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Stainless Works

Drives: Fast
You might want to consider Stainless Works Headers and Exhaust. Combining the Headers and Exhaust give a pretty loud and mean tone. Check it out on this video.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Chris
800-878-3635
Chris@Stainlessworks.net
Stainless Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
i am fully open to suggestions, i do plan on installing headers also. i have a decent budget so i will add what i need to in order to get the sound and performance that im looking for.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
SSICKO

Drives: SSICKO
i have that catback, i also have headers n high flow cats though so mine is loud as hell. it drones a bit but thats why i just installed a whole new stereo and i now i can barely hear it but im also gonna cam my car so idc about noise that much haha
Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Just a thought: Here's a j-pipe mod on Magnaflows for a G8 GT that worked very well. The same set-up ought to work on a Camaro, of course with a little work on connections.

BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Great discription! I added Borla Touring and AFM drove me crazy! Got her tuned shortly after and love it now.
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I went with a vararam, kooks 1 7/8's headers w/ Catless (off road) mid pipes and flowmaster American thunder catback. After the tune and shutting off that AFM DOD crap the drop was significantly reduced and is ok now. Love the sound it's loud and proud.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote