Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
Trailer a lowered Camaro???

Has anyone ever trailered a lowered Camaro? I am having the Pfadt Stage 4 installed and lowered approx 1" front and 1.25" rear. Was wondering if that will make thing difficult for me if I rented a car trailer from uHual. Anyone have any experience in this. Please help
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
We trailer lowered cars frequently and they can be a challenge to get on a rental type trailer. Use the standard tricks of the trade boards, natural inclines and while attached to the tow vehicle raise the trailer front with the trailer jack.

Last edited by JusticePete; 03-29-2013 at 04:42 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
JHall651

Awesome. Thanks Pete. Any recommended and/or mandatory strap down points? I guess I should just ask what are the strap down points.
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Use a double loop strap around the control arms to connect to your tie down straps and ratchet away.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
JHall651

Sweet. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHall651 View Post
Sweet. Thanks.
You might also see if they have a trailer with the e-trac tie downs and ask for tire webs.... These wrap the tire rather than tying to suspension components.

I trailer my car a lot and it's lowered a lot...

Please note I have 6 foot long ramps and still built four foot long box's to add length and soften the angle for getting on and off the trailer...
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
JHall651

Yea i just found out that the one Im getting from uhaul uses the tire straps. But check this out. I had him see if that same trailer would show up in their system as capable of hauling a 2012 vette and it said yes. So if uhaul thinks a vette can be loaded onto it wouldn't you think a Camaro lowered 1" front and 1.25" rear could?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
You might also see if they have a trailer with the e-trac tie downs and ask for tire webs.... These wrap the tire rather than tying to suspension components.

I trailer my car a lot and it's lowered a lot...

Please note I have 6 foot long ramps and still built four foot long box's to add length and soften the angle for getting on and off the trailer...
That is a nice trailer!!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I used a uhaul trailer just this month. Make sure you get the xtra wide trailer or cars don't fit. It doesn't mention that when you do an online reservation. Came with the tire web tie downs. Pulled behind my dodge 2500 and had no issues. Had to put 2x10 under the front tires tho as I am lowered 1.5 inches. If not I would have ripped off the rubber deflector on the front. Also had to use the angle of the drive way to make the angle of the ramps less steep. Other than that, piece of cake.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
It's going to be a hit or miss with UHaul. I looked at those before buying my trailer and there was no way my car would fit without hitting. I'm lowered 1" and then another .35" because of tire height. My problem is the cats hitting the dove tail on the trailer. I had to buy the long Race Ramps to lessen the angle so my splitter didn't hit. You and I have the same exhaust, so you need to watch that as well.

Pete is right on with securing it using the control arms. Do not try and tie it down with the suspension as some have mentioned on this site. I loop my rachet tie-downs around the rear LCA and the front LCA. The car doesn't slide on long trips. The wheel tie-down would work well if the trailer is equipped to use them.

Here's my setup.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
It's going to be a hit or miss with UHaul. I looked at those before buying my trailer and there was no way my car would fit without hitting. I'm lowered 1" and then another .35" because of tire height. My problem is the cats hitting the dove tail on the trailer. I had to buy the long Race Ramps to lessen the angle so my splitter didn't hit. You and I have the same exhaust, so you need to watch that as well.

Pete is right on with securing it using the control arms. Do not try and tie it down with the suspension as some have mentioned on this site. I loop my rachet tie-downs around the rear LCA and the front LCA. The car doesn't slide on long trips. The wheel tie-down would work well if the trailer is equipped to use them.

Here's my setup.
Agreed on the suspension tie down... a bouncing car on the trailer allows for the tie downs to be shock loaded on and off as rough roads are encountered.... Tie to LCA's or use tire webs if the trailer is so equipped...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aSSee D View Post
That is a nice trailer!!
Thanks... It works well for me...

Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
JHall651

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
I used a uhaul trailer just this month. Make sure you get the xtra wide trailer or cars don't fit. It doesn't mention that when you do an online reservation. Came with the tire web tie downs. Pulled behind my dodge 2500 and had no issues. Had to put 2x10 under the front tires tho as I am lowered 1.5 inches. If not I would have ripped off the rubber deflector on the front. Also had to use the angle of the drive way to make the angle of the ramps less steep. Other than that, piece of cake.
Thanks for the info. That is good to hear. Can you explain the 2x10 a little more. Do you mean plywood that is 2" thick and 10" long? Also was there any room left to strap down other stuff to the deck of the trailer? I will have my 4 stock rims and tires, stock coilovers, and stock sway bars. Do you think there will be room for me to strap that stuff down too?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
converted

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
We loaded my neighbors lowered car on a uhaul i i think he is 1.5" lowered. Only issue we had was the splitter trying to hit in very front of trailer where the indentions are for your tires to sit in. We cut some 2x12 pieces and put in there to hold the car up over the front of the trailer. Strapped her dwn she rode fine all the way from corpus christi to lethal in louisiana.