Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
EOD

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS & 2015 GMC Sierra De
Lightbulb First Suspension Mods

I looking for the most cost effective suspension mods for the quarter mile. I am in the military so Im on a bit of a budget. I recently added a supercharger and some ET Streets to my Camaro and broke an axle on the first run. I kind of knew it would happen but gave it a shot. That problem is fixed and I'd like to bring down my 60' times. The parts dont have to make the car handle better, but I dont want to make it worse. Before I was able to run about 12.00 to 12.10 with a 60' of 1.8-1.9 with 470rwhp on Nitt0 555rs. I have not been able to run the car since it broke because I deployed two weeks later. I would like to make my next outing when I get back a better one so I'm looking for advice. Everyones help is greatly appreciated.
EOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Bushings
Old 08-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
EOD

Which one's and any brand or type you recomend?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Pedders and Pfadt are two of the best, but not cheap. If you haven't already, I would suggest reading 5 gen suspension...the book. Link here... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Start with Subframe Bushings....that will make a good firm base to start with. If you're looking for good drag performance.....go with solid bushings (no it will not negatively affect your ride comfort). And personally, while you have the subframe lowered....I would change out the upper control arm bushings. JDP Motorsports sells a nice replacement bracket with new bushings already pressed in.

You're choices for the solid Subframe Bushings are PFADT, ADM Performance, and LG Motorsports.

http://store.pfadtracing.com/2010-ca...rame-bushings/

http://www.admperformance.com/produc...63&product=258

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...oducts_id=2653
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
EOD

Thanks for the advice, I will definately look into those ones from JDP
Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD View Post
Thanks for the advice, I will definately look into those ones from JDP
Here are the upper control arm bushings brackets from JDP that I was talking about. They use the PFADT Bushings. Believe me, buying them this way is definitely worth every penny!!! Getting the old bushings out of the brackets is a complete pain in the @$$!!!

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/manufa...ss-v8-jdps1001

There is really only one "better" option available (for drag racing, but probably not very "practical" for a daily street driver). I have these on my car....

http://www.farkssupercars.com/?/Bush...maro-bushings/
Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD View Post
Which one's and any brand or type you recomend?
Not going to recommend a brand as everyone has their own preference and opinion as to what is "best." I personally use Pedders, but like I said; everyone has their own opinion as to what is "the best."

I'd start with subframe inserts and/or replacement bushings (as above posters have mentioned). Then I'd also do the radius rod bushings to increase/tighten up the steering. From there I'd drive the car for a week or two, see how she handles and what your impressions are - then go from there.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
EOD

The JDP ones would probably be better suited to my needs. Although the car isnt a daily driver it does see the street. I agree about the removing the bushings, from what I have read its not fun.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
EOD

Anyone have the ADM subframe bushing installed? They are a lot cheaper and I was wondering how they compare. Pedders does seem to put out a great product and they get brownie points with me for supporting the EOD Wounded Warrior Fund.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
blazzin1

This is the only thread I can find about the ADM Bushings.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=ADM+Bushings

But nothing about installation or comparison....the picture looks different than what is on their website....???
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
EOD

Thanks for the link, it is a diiferent picture. I may give them a shot. I definately will start out with subframe bushings. I dont get back until almost November so it will be a little while before I can report on how I made out.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
With all that power you need bushings all the way around. If you have to do it in parts I would do Subframe and differential first.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Synner

Drives: cars
My ADM ones have been sitting in an ever growing pile as I'm deployed too. I didn't see a reason to pay a few hundred extra for a chunk of aluminum machined to the same measurements. I started out with energy suspension complete replacements and they were great too but I'm wanting to remove all give now that I'm using the car more for road racing. They're also dirt cheap relative to other options but you give up some amount as it won't be as stiff as others. But I can't bring myself to spend $600 for some poly.

Definitely do subframe and diff bushings. A drag alignment would help and as long as you don't go too extreme won't impact tire life too much. A stiff rear sway will help too. Going to a 2012+ rear lower arm setup and a take off bar from someone with a 1LE or ZL1 will give you a much stiffer sway for dirt cheap. Aftermarket stuff will be much stiffer but at 4-5x the cost for take off parts.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote