Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Clearing a CEL

Will this car clear its own CEL if the problem that caused the CEL is now fixed? I've got a CEL and I know why it appeared, I fixed the issue, but the CEL remains even after about 30 miles of driving (and also tried 5/20 fuse pull).
Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
sorry, whats a CEL? =/
Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
You could disconnect the battery or go down to the local AutoZone or Pepboys and rent a code reader to clear it. They are usually free to rent. You just have to put up the cost of the scanner first then they refund the money when you bring it back.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
sorry, whats a CEL? =/
Check Engine Light
Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Check Engine Light
Ugh, FACEPALMING Myself LOL... i shoudl have just searched... sorry. I've seen CEL a lot on some Intake topics... and i've wanted to get an Intake... seeing people talking about CEL... i thought it was like pro street talk.. so i never asked o_O
Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Keep an eye on the warranty issue!

jtzako: I seem to recall reading that even after you manage to clear the code of a warning message, the actual ocurrance of the message and/or malfunction is still recorded in the car's electronic log.

So, the next time your dealer connects his diagnostic/scan tool to your vehicle it will show up.

Therefore, I suggest you keep a good record of everything that you did to correct the CEL problem : invoices of any parts or fluids you installed or used, orders and receipts of any shop you might have used so that you can demonstrate a proper procedure was performed so that this not become an issue your dealer might use to claim that your warranty is void.

Safe riding to you,

The Flash
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
jtzako: I seem to recall reading that even after you manage to clear the code of a warning message, the actual ocurrance of the message and/or malfunction is still recorded in the car's electronic log.

So, the next time your dealer connects his diagnostic/scan tool to your vehicle it will show up.

Therefore, I suggest you keep a good record of everything that you did to correct the CEL problem : invoices of any parts or fluids you installed or used, orders and receipts of any shop you might have used so that you can demonstrate a proper procedure was performed so that this not become an issue your dealer might use to claim that your warranty is void.

Safe riding to you,

The Flash
It was just an O2 sensor disconnected at the cats. No big deal just enough to get the engine light to come on. Unfortunately the light didnt turn off on its own. I'll try and scan it tonight and see if its a 'stored' condition or an actual active problem still.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Is the gas cap tight?
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Onstar can tell you why your engine light is on, but can't turn it off even if the issue was resolved. Push the Blue Onstar button, have them check to see if the car is throwing a code, then take it in to the dealer.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote