Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #43
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Of course the ZL1 is an awesome machine.

First off non of these cars that are stock, and not broken in are not impressive if you are used to unrestrained power from the old hot rods that did not have the awesome tires we have now. So they felt more impressive, no cats and such so they sounded more impressive. They really weren't though.

But there are issues with tip to toe response on these new cars, controlled by the electronics and on the autos that rediculous AFM.

Drive three manual cars new, no mods. An SS a ZL1 and a 1LE.

Here is what you will find. The 1LE feels considerably faster than the SS. It may be a little faster, but feels a lot faster, especially on first slam of throttle. Its overall gearing in first is actually a little taller, but second gear is less tall by a bit.(GM has played games with this car; HP and electronics response).

Drive the ZL1 and it will not feel as responsive as the 1LE on first slam. When you hold down the throttle though you can feel how it pulls a lot more. Same for the Ford GT 500.

Bottom line is this the engineers at both GM and Ford have had to walk a fine line between meeting CAFE standards and giving us something to work with. Do you think it is an accident that they are so easily modded to get significantly more horses and much better response with small mods. CAI, ported valve body and a tune. The cars feel so much different just from this.

Compare apples and apples when comparing these cars.

Camaros are held back coming out of the assembly line also because GM cannot make the Camaro feel or be faster than the Vette. A problem that Ford does not have.

But boy when you mod those Camaros, look out. Came across a Hennessey ZL1 the other day. Holy cow, talk about impressive. I believe it was their 700 HP mod.

I chose my 1LE as a base car because, first I couldn't afford the mighty ZL1 and yet I wanted a lot of the cool handling characteristics that are in the ZL1. Can easily get 650 to 750 HP at the crank with fairly heavy NA modding or not as heavy SC modding. Plus I have a car that looks sleek and can stay with any BMW around the turns. Cool.

Just my two cents, actually, it was about 10 cents worth.

Thanks for listening.

Jim

Must all be in the feeling. The 1LE is a 12:70-13:00 1/4 mile car, the ZL1 is 11:90-12:20 1/4 mile car, a huge improvement, the gearing of the 1LE would make it seem harder hitting in low rpms.

The OPs modified SS is probably putting out 460-480 rwhp and capable of low 12s to high 11s, hence why no real difference in comparing to the ZL1. I'm sure his cammed SS has better low end grunt as well. Although the ZL1 doesn't seem fast, it has been proven in this forum that a properly driven car at a well prepped track is capable of running well into the 11s. The power is there. When I first got my past 392 Challenger I thought it felt quick, but not 470/470 quick, then I learned how to drive it and clicked of 12:40s stock.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot

Last edited by newmoon; 06-23-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #44
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
idk what u drove but when i drove my uncles it was very impressive it has almost 200hp more then a stock ss (automatic that is) and 154hp more than the manual. his zl1 would smoke my ss in its sleep. the car is a beast im very confused maybe because u drove one that wasnt broken in yet. i wish i had the 20k extra coin because i would have went stright for the ZL1.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #45
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
True. There is definitely power there, but it is so controlled it feels like it is holding itself back. I think the difference is that mine literally pins me to my seat and makes my stomach drop because it is so violently fast it kinda scares me. The ZL1 was very controlled and gradual. It was nothing like what I would have expected stock 580 hp to feel like.

you should've turned all the nannies off and im sure your thoughts would be different. I own both a 2010 ss and 2012 zl-1 and when I get back in the ss I think what a sloppy b***h although it seems touchier on the throttle than the Z
Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #46
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
idk what u drove but when i drove my uncles it was very impressive it has almost 200hp more then a stock ss (automatic that is) and 154hp more than the manual. his zl1 would smoke my ss in its sleep. the car is a beast im very confused maybe because u drove one that wasnt broken in yet. i wish i had the 20k extra coin because i would have went stright for the ZL1.
I've spent about 11K on my 1LE(all cosmetics and performance mods or parts/labor/shipping/taxes/tuning and dyno time)[see my garage or sig journal link for all mods] and I have a custom car to my liking that will do the following to a ZL1:

:fightin g0056:

HA To each is their own but its easy to buy a ZL1 and call it a day as I heavily considered before the 1LE came out. I'm quite happy with my choice as I'm still cheaper than a base ZL1.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #47
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
I've spent about 11K on my 1LE(all cosmetics and performance mods or parts/labor/shipping/taxes/tuning and dyno time)[see my garage or sig journal link for all mods] and I have a custom car to my liking that will do the following to a ZL1:

:fightin g0056:

HA To each is their own but its easy to buy a ZL1 and call it a day as I heavily considered before the 1LE came out. I'm quite happy with my choice as I'm still cheaper than a base ZL1.
i understand ur point but with the mods youve done and the heavier price tag youve probably spent more than the cost of a ZL1 and the ZL1 with a pulley swap/intake upgrade/and a tune is going to come in around 670hp (at the crank) so u spend 65k on the ZL1 and 2 grand on mods and ur good to go. idk maybe thats just me and makes more sense and is most likely the cheaper route. ur car is a beaut tho and the 1LE package is sweet too.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #48
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I know what the OP is trying to say. It's such a well controlled smooth car that it doesn't feel all that fast at times. To make it the violent machine that I think the OP was looking for it needs about 1000HP to really make it scary.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #49
Learjetguru

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
I bet the dealer had some cheap gas in it and the timing has rolled way back. Can you fuse pull

Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #50
Sfuller003

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Silver 2SS View Post
Well, here's my thoughts... One I'm amazed a dealership let you test drive a ZL1. Two, since I own both a ZL1 and a 2SS, I can understand what you are saying. For anyone who has modded their 2SS, driving a ZL1 will not blow up your skirt..... In a straight line. I have learned that the grin factor comes in turning and accelerating and out maneuvering just about everything on the road. I love both cars and each have their own ways to make me smile. Just my 2 cents.
I too own both a 2SS and ZL1. I modified the ZL1 and it now throws you back in the seat and I have never seen a 2SS even come close. Love them both, but the ZL1 with a few mods is major adrenaline rush...
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #51
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
i understand ur point but with the mods youve done and the heavier price tag youve probably spent more than the cost of a ZL1 and the ZL1 with a pulley swap/intake upgrade/and a tune is going to come in around 670hp (at the crank) so u spend 65k on the ZL1 and 2 grand on mods and ur good to go. idk maybe thats just me and makes more sense and is most likely the cheaper route. ur car is a beaut tho and the 1LE package is sweet too.
So you say 67K for a ZL1 and youre good to go. I'm @ 53K on my lowered 1LE with phenominal handling. My drivetrain loss from baseline was appx 11%. That puts me currently @ 725 crank HP (to compare your stated crank hp ZL1 with mods @ 670hp).

I'm not saying my modded 1LE is better than all ZL1s. I'm saying FOR ME it was way better to mod a 1LE and get way more for way less money. Yes I gave up the MR suspension and warranty but who cares :P
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #52
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Sfuller003....it appears you did NOT get to 88 mph. So you fail. Michael J. Fox could kick your butt. But at least you didn't end up in 1955.

j/k That's an awesome ride!

I test drove ZL1s too, and my take on it was the potential was there. First was a convertible M6, and the power was extremely smooth, plenty available, shifted like butter, and I had a dealership representative with me. Even at a "test drive" acceleration, I chirped 2nd gear without trying. Plus the tentative-ness that I felt knowing it wasn't my car and it needed due respect.

The car wasn't broke in, 99.5% of all test drives aren't full out flogging sessions, and I truly believe there was plenty more HP on tap that wasn't being utilized.

IMO, the OP did not give the ZL1 a fair shake.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #53
#737 ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
So after fantasizing about a ZL1 since people started pre-ordering them, I finally made it to a Chevy dealer to test drive one. I know some of you out there will start throwing stones and raising your pitch forks, but I have to say I was extremely disappointed. I have a pretty decently modded 2SS and I can say without a doubt, I would destroy a ZL1 in a straight away. Never thought I would be able to say that. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice car and it drove incredibly smooth and handled very well, not to mention how beautiful it was. It just felt like a tank. I know the actual curb weight is just under 200 lbs more than the SS, but it felt like a whole lot more. All said and done, it really just lacked the "Wow factor" for me. I definitely don't see it worth 20k more than an SS, and so if nothing else, it made me even happier with my SS.

Loose the stones...
LOL drove many 2ss , bought the ZL1 and never looked back.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #54
jleews6

Drives: mustangs
I love the cars and think its one of the best all around cars out right now but I feel the same way. I was excited about them when they came out and after seeing how they run I was really let down. They dont run much better then my 03 Cobra did 10 years ago.
They are still a beautiful car but not what I would consider fast for what they are.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #55
camaro-21

Drives: 2011 cyber grey metallic camaro v6
I guess now we will have to test drive the z28 when it comes out and see if it lives up to expectation which I'm sure it should since it is 3 seconds faster around the track. I wanna race a zl1 in my modded v6 any takers!
2011 camaro v6- sts turbo w/ meth injection, barton short throw, spec stage 3+ clutch, forgestar f-14 rims, Nitto invo tires, pfadt sway bars drop springs and end links, rx catch can, goodridge stainless steel brake lines, aac halos afterburner taillights and sidemarkers, sebon carbon rear diffuser.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #56
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS

Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
I felt the same when I drove one, I feel especially with the Z28 coming out (more of a drivers car) that its gunna pull more of the "car guys". I dont meant to pin hole alot of ZL1 owners but my SRT has put down several ZL1 and I only have exhaust and intake, minds well be stock since it wasnt tuned, unless you know how to utilize that ZL1 power alot is held back, or the guys I ran into just didnt know how to drive. That all being said, doesnt change my mind, Id love to have one down the road . just being 23 yrs old and a huge HP RWD car isnt the best idea.

Closed Thread