Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Rubbing compound wtf!

So I give my black coupe a fresh wash, and since I noticed some swirl marks starting to form on my hood a few weeks ago decided to try a rubbing compound to get rid of them. I apply a little bit to a slightly damp microfiber cloth as per the instructions on the container, and lightly rub it into a portion of my hood, I then start to take of the residue again per the directions on the container with a fresh clean cloth and after its all gone to my horror are long what appear to be surface scratches in my paint where the compound was applied. I tried putting more pressure to buff it out thinking maybe the residue was still on there, but that didnt help, neither did water and soap. I applied some carnuba wax and that seemed to help a little bit, but its still very noticable.

Please help?
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
The rubbing compound is probably the most aggressive thing you would ever want to use on your paint.

You are going to need some help and we're here, but you need to put some time into it researching the fix.

Start here so you know what will need to be done:

http://youtu.be/KP-eAddv2sk

Watch all of his vids on this topic and we will recommend a few others then Come back here and start asking questions. Essentially your going to need learn how to machine polish to correct this, but is very easy once you've done your homework and get some proper tools.

Don't rush into any quick fixes or go out buy our ducts that will just hide the damage. We can help you fix it, but you'll need to put in the research.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
ilirg

Thank you for the video link, very informative. Looks like 5 minutes of f'ng up, is going to cost me a lot of time to fix. Is there a machine perhaps more affordable then the one he uses?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Thank you for the video link, very informative. Looks like 5 minutes of f'ng up, is going to cost me a lot of time to fix. Is there a machine perhaps more affordable then the one he uses?
No

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
After purchasing a black car your next purchase should have been a porter cable or flex polisher and pads.Rubbing compound is generally used to remove or diminish deep scratches(ie sanding marks)

A polishing compound would have given better results.Check around your area and see if a C5 member will help you out.If you were in S.Florida I would be more than happy to have you stop by and use my equipment and lend a helping hand.

Dont despair it can be corrected with the right equipment and polish.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
You could go with a harbor freight polisher and get an aftermarket backing plate like lake country. But expect to drop $150-200 or so to get what you need.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
I used meguiars ultra cut compound with my porter cable set to the highest mode, got rid of the swirl marks and mild scratches and had no paint damage

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Ilirg, Camaro 5 has 10's of thousands of members all over the country. I'm sure someone here lives close enough to you to lend you a helping hand and the tools you'll need to correct this. You'll still need to educate yourself on proper care and correction to make sure this doesn't happen again, but if you're not in a position to drop this kind of cash on a polisher right now, I, for one would be happy to help you if you were, or are ever in, the SW Ohio area.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
ilirg

Thanks for the help guys, you guys are great. I might as well just drop the dime and do it right. My truck is black too so im sure it will be worth the investment once it's all said and done.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Thanks for the help guys, you guys are great. I might as well just drop the dime and do it right. My truck is black too so im sure it will be worth the investment once it's all said and done.
That's exactly the answer we like to hear around here!

Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Check out your local forums or try to find a local club; someone is bound to take pity on your plight and help you out. (doesn't have to be camaro only - car guys is car guys, regardless of the brand)

OR, find a good, reputable local detailer to hire.

You could spend hundreds of $$$ on polishing equipment and supplies and a lot of time learning proper technique and still not get desired results
or
you could spend the money and have a qualified professional do it right the first time.

OR...
Try this
get some Meguiar's ScratchX, Turtle Wax Color Back and Zymol Cleaner Wax (blue stuff)
Use the ScratchX first rubbing in one direction, from fender to fender (R to L), followed by the Turtle Wax at 45 deg to your previous session, followed by Zymol Front to back
It will take time and probably a couple of sessions since you are doing it by hand. Use different pads for each compound. You'll want to spend
a good amount of time and effort on your final Zymol session.

You want to go from the most abrasive (rubbing compound - which you've already done) to next least abrasive (ScratchX / Turtle Wax) to least abrasive (Zymol)
Wax is only a topcoat protectant, not a polish
Zymol as a final finish is not bad - be sure to mist with (distilled) water and give a final rub down after you've rubbed out the first hazing (read the directions on the bottle)

Last edited by RiCorvette; 10-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Check out your local forums or try to find a local club; someone is bound to take pity on your plight and help you out. (doesn't have to be camaro only - car guys is car guys, regardless of the brand)

You could spend hundreds of $$$ on polishing equipment and supplies and a lot of time learning proper technique and still not get desired results
or
you could spend the money and have a qualified professional do it right the first time.

OR...
Try this
get some ScratchX and Zymol cleaner wax (blue stuff)
Use the ScratchX first rubbing in one direction, from fender to fender (R to L), followed by the Zymol Front to back.
It will take time and probably a couple of sessions since you are doing it by hand. Use different pads for each compound

You want to go from the most abrasive (polishing compound) to next least abrasive (ScratchX) to least abrasive (Zymol)

After getting you To the point that we did, please ignor these suggestion.

You're going to get the results you're looking for if you do it yourself. You'll never be able to correct (the operative word) the problem trying to do this by hand and while the hundreds you'll spend one time having a pro fix it, you'll be able to fix it multiple times when the other problems occur.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post

or

OR...
Try this
get some Meguiar's ScratchX, Turtle Wax Color Back and Zymol Cleaner Wax (blue stuff)
Use the ScratchX first rubbing in one direction, from fender to fender (R to L), followed by the Turtle Wax at 45 deg to your previous session, followed by Zymol Front to back
It will take time and probably a couple of sessions since you are doing it by hand. Use different pads for each compound. You'll want to spend
a good amount of time and effort on your final Zymol session.

You want to go from the most abrasive (rubbing compound) to next least abrasive (ScratchX / Turtle Wax) to least abrasive (Zymol)
Zymol as a final finish is not bad - be sure to mist with (distilled) water and give a final rub down after you've rubbed out the first hazing (read the directions on the bottle)

This might be one of the worst posts ever on this forum.

Certainly one of the most ignorant.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
This might be one of the worst posts ever on this forum.

Certainly one of the most ignorant.

Having done it, I stand by my advice; first and foremost:
"have a professional do it right"

The other process, by hand, is hard work, and must be done with care. BUT NONE of the products listed will scratch his paint more than the rubbing compound already used.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote