Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Oil Analysis, Thoughts on the results? UPDATED 4/20/15

I had an analysis done, and really dont know what Im looking at. I did some research and found that the boron level and the base number isnt anything to worry about (just a sign the oil needed to be changed), which I did at the time I sent the sample in.

I am really just wondering about the iron level (report says its moderate). Any one who has experience with the test/report please chime in. Not really looking for guesses and theories if you arent sure about it, no offense.

The PDF is below. Thanks!!!

The car is cammed.

UPDATE: Second oil analysis attached. Everything got better, still have moderate iron. it compares the first and second reports

Working on changing lifters, springs, and checking the cam now. Also switched from Amsoil Signature 5w30 to Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30. Next oil analysis should be alot better.

UPDATE 4/20/15: Changed cam, lifters, springs, valves, and rockers. Ran some cheap oil through it for 10 minutes or so and changed it to Amsoil Z-Rod. Will do an analysis in a month or two and see what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf I403223-OILANA75016020.pdf (92.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: pdf CAMARO-SS-2nd oil analysis.pdf (173.3 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by vroomapunk; 04-20-2015 at 12:41 PM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
1sick_eg

Drives: 14 Camaro 1LE,328i, and some Hondas
Iron is certainly higher than normal. Any weird noises or any performance lost from what you can tell? I don't think it's enough to start ripping the motor apart, but I'd certainly do another oil sample at your next oil change.

Iron could be engine wear, as well as rust. Do you have a short commute to work or do a lot of cold starts without letting the engine come up to temperature before shutting it off?
1sick_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Thanks for the input. My commute isn't short, it's about 35-40 mins. Haven't noticed a loss in power or any noises. Engine has actually quieted down a bit since I cammed it. I actually had the car at lethal after I had a decent amount of mileage on the cam, it was there for a little while when I was on vacation, nick drove it and said its one of the better running cammed cars he's driven. So I don't think it's having any performance problems.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Considering it's cammed, I would make the assumption higher iron levels mean the lobes and/or lifters are wearing down. This seems to be pretty common for cammed cars around here, also one reason I decided to leave mine well enough alone.

Was this the first oil change since being cammed? If so I would probably send off a sample after each oil change and see if that value drops.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sick_eg View Post
Iron is certainly higher than normal. Any weird noises or any performance lost from what you can tell? I don't think it's enough to start ripping the motor apart, but I'd certainly do another oil sample at your next oil change.

Iron could be engine wear, as well as rust. Do you have a short commute to work or do a lot of cold starts without letting the engine come up to temperature before shutting it off?
High Iron/water came back on my truck (DD). I attribute it from some shorter trips like you spoke of.

I had one done on my car last yr (less than 3K miles), oil looked good except for copper which is normal for these engines during break-in
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
1sick_eg

I would say if you're not hearing anything, then it's most likely nothing to be worried about. I do oil samples all the time, and cars simply aren't setup to do proper sampling. Generally, you'd want a sterile sample point. One which would allow you to run some oil out of said sample point for a short amount of time to make sure there were no contaminants in the sample line to make sure you're truly seeing what is in the oil.

How was the oil sample taken? Ideally, the car should be up to temperature and the oil should be as well. Not ideal for an oil change, but it will be the most accurate way to sample. Make sure the surrounding area around the drain plug is clean. Wait until the pan is about 1/4 empty during draining until you start to take your sample. Taking it when first pulling your plug will not provide the most accurate sample.

If you were having lifter/cam issues, you would hear it. A chirp/squealing noise is a telltale sign.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
1sick_eg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
High Iron/water came back on my truck (DD). I attribute it from some shorter trips like you spoke of.

I had one done on my car last yr (less than 3K miles), oil looked good except for copper which is normal for these engines during break-in
Yeah, short trips will do that. If possible, it's always nice to make sure the car gets up to operating temperatures and is driven at least 10-15 miles. Doesn't happen for many people, but especially in the cold, condensation can build up and cause oxidation in the engine. It's nice to be able to clear that crap out.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I had an analysis done, and really dont know what Im looking at. I did some research and found that the boron level and the base number isnt anything to worry about (just a sign the oil needed to be changed), which I did at the time I sent the sample in.

I am really just wondering about the iron level (report says its moderate). Any one who has experience with the test/report please chime in. Not really looking for guesses and theories if you arent sure about it, no offense.

The PDF is below. Thanks!!!
My $0.02:

A couple of guys on here who did somehow manage to do an oil analysis on their Comp Cam before it failed, noticed a higher than normal Iron count in the report.

I'd be more than happy to dig those up if you don't find them.

Other then that, I have nothing else to add sir.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
The fact that this is after a cam change, the iron is basically from the valve train to include the cam and lifters. Not sure what they are talking about with the Boron, that doesn't seem to be low in all the UOA's I have running ASL. How old is the ASL oil? What filter where you running?
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:05 AM   #10
eoupions
Account Suspended

Drives: camaro
you would hear it. A chirp/squealing noise is a telltale sign.
eoupions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sick_eg View Post
I would say if you're not hearing anything, then it's most likely nothing to be worried about. I do oil samples all the time, and cars simply aren't setup to do proper sampling. Generally, you'd want a sterile sample point. One which would allow you to run some oil out of said sample point for a short amount of time to make sure there were no contaminants in the sample line to make sure you're truly seeing what is in the oil.

How was the oil sample taken? Ideally, the car should be up to temperature and the oil should be as well. Not ideal for an oil change, but it will be the most accurate way to sample. Make sure the surrounding area around the drain plug is clean. Wait until the pan is about 1/4 empty during draining until you start to take your sample. Taking it when first pulling your plug will not provide the most accurate sample.

If you were having lifter/cam issues, you would hear it. A chirp/squealing noise is a telltale sign.
Thanks man, I did take it out of an oil change. Straight from the plug, probably pretty early on when it was draining. I believe the engine was warm, but probably not up to temp.

No sounds, no problems, just trying to be proactive to see if anything is going wrong.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse6.2 View Post
The fact that this is after a cam change, the iron is basically from the valve train to include the cam and lifters. Not sure what they are talking about with the Boron, that doesn't seem to be low in all the UOA's I have running ASL. How old is the ASL oil? What filter where you running?
It had a decent amount of mileage on that oil change, it definitely needed to be changed. Maybe 9,500 miles ( in my defense the oil and filter are supposed to be ok to 15k miles). I will probably start changing at 5k miles.

It is an Amsoil Filter (definitely put on an amsoil, could have been a Mobil 1 filter I took off)
Old 02-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #13
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Let me ask a really dumb question-
couldn't you sample the oil from the engine, vs a sample from the filter, vs. a sample from the catch can and see better results of imaging?
Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #14
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Let me ask a really dumb question-
couldn't you sample the oil from the engine, vs a sample from the filter, vs. a sample from the catch can and see better results of imaging?
You can pull it out of the engine, just need a pump (which I dont have).

I didnt take it out of the filter, I took it out of the pan when I was draining it for an oil change.

I wouldnt think the evaporated/condensed oil that ends up in the catch can is a good sample because any metals probably dont come with it when it evaporates. Plus there will probably be some water along with that catch can oil.