Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
jnm2003

Drives: O2 GMC & 2010 camaro SS IBM 6M
vibration/chatter problem

I have a M6 2SS. when i take off in first i let out the clutch and i hear a vibrating/rattling noise. 50% of the time it does it and its when im taking off in first gear. it happens at the last second of letting out the clutch and sometimes carries on a couple short seconds after fully letting off the clutch. and it does it in second and third but not as much! Its only at low rpms as far as I noticed. Also the times its happened is more on first take off after startup.
i had a friend ride with me who has messed with older f-bodies for years, but never new camaros, say it sounds like a heat shield rattle. I searched many forums and found some say the driveshaft needs a spacer or washer/ some say its something in the IRS when the car is going slow and under a load.
I also noticed today that when im slowly accelerating while turning sharply like in a parking lot it does it. I feel the chatter through my clutch more than my shifter. kinda in the floor boards too.
how people say its a spring issue in the clutch it shouldnt be that because the clutch is hydraulic and isnt a direct linkage type connection to the transmission so i what im feeling shouldnt be that right? (kinda new to the setup of the new camaro so correct me if thats not right). I dont know why whatever the noise is i feel it more in the clutch pedal and it does it when im letting out the clutch but dont feel it in the gas pedal or shifter.

Any help would be appreciated so that when i suck it up and let a dealer look at it i have some ideas to throw at him. That way they dont have my baby in pieces trying to figure it out! Thanks for any replies

2010 camaro SS/RS Manual IBM.
NEW TIME 12.24 @ 114 mph. -[B] street tires, Hurst short throw, Halltech yellow jacket intake, AR long tube 1 7/8 headers, and a tune.
12.82 @ 110 MPH 1.92 60ft ALMOST Bone Stock ONLY MOD IS Borla mufflers.
jnm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
hamidar05

Drives: 10 Camaro/69 Bronco/08 Mazda3
Take it to the dealer and take a service rep for a ride if it is repeatable. If you're not sure about your dealers competence, find another one. Sounds like something is loose or came loose if it wasn't doing that from the dealer. Anytime something comes loose, that's not a good thing...

No funny stuff from my 1SS M6... only the gurgle in the heater core, which I don't care about.
VIN# 34612
Bitchin Camaro - Dead Milkmen - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/8092
Thank You Oshawa - Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
~1600 mi so far - 07/18/10
hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
It could be a heat shield or a rubber muffler hanger has come loose.
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
My M6 2SS does this as well and I've isolated the noise to the rear of the vehicle. Does your trunk latch ever not catch when closing your trunk? I'm thinking its either the hardware that mounts the OEM spoiler or the heat shield at the rear of the car. Its just pot metal that is bolted directly to the tub with nothing by way of damping between it. The rattle is even more noticable since I installed racing headers/exhaust... I'm thinking about ripping out the crap heat shield and installing thermotec heat shield. Thermotec would dampen the exhaust note reverb'ing thru the interior and would dissapate heat better than the OEM heat shield!
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
Unless I overlooked the clutch in the trunk of my Camaro next to the battery I'm gonna say the particular rattle coming from the back of my car is not the clutch plate
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote