Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Wont know about the noise until this spring.

I am more concerned with the fact that a bolt in this supposed extra high strength end link kit broke at only 33 ft lbs.

I had one of the only improperly fitting cold air inductions CAI kits as well (which they replaced ASAP and it is a great product).

Hopefully it is just my bad luck returning and I got a bad bolt.
By your statement - "broke at 33 ft lbs" - I have had torque wrenches provide bad settings. Sometimes resetting the wrench back to a lower setting and then moving it back up to the desired setting produced an accurate reading. I just can sense when you are going past the point where it should be.

And for the smarta$$ that will say get a better torque wrench (I own only SnapOn) and have them calibrated every 3 yrs. I am told that the torque wrenchs that you dial the setting by twisting the handle should be returned to the lowest setting when stored so no tension remains on the internals.
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #16
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIO SS View Post

I ret'd mine - wait until your hear the noise they make - it's in the design of a spherical end link - nice product - but the suspension noise was not worthy of the $200 plus cost
As long as you install the end links correctly (make sure you have them set to the correct length, positioned correctly so they are not binding during their range of motion, the belleville washers are positioned correctly and most importantly you have everything torqued down to 33lb/ft) they are as quiet as the stock end links.

For the most part the noise that you could hear from the Pfadt end links is no different then the noise you could hear from any other manufacturers end links that use spherical ends (BMR, Pedders, Etc.) if you did not install and torque down their product correctly.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Quote:
I wondered if they would be noisy looking at them....SOAB.

how noisy are they? can you hear it form inside the vehicle?
They are not noisy at all. If you install them correctly you will not be able to hear anything coming from them.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #18
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
I checked the torque wrenches accuracy with another torque wrench.

The dial in torque wrench we have is set back to 20 ft lbs after every use.

everything was installed EXACTLY per directions.

Check...check...check...check.

The damn thing just broke on me it looks like.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
ULTRAZLS1

Im done with them.

Decided to put the rear end-links on today while I was waiting for the new front end-link

Broke ANOTHER one.

Are people who install these actually torquing them? I cant believe I could be the only one.

They need to re-think the 33 ft lb torque spec. The stock torque spec is only supposed to be 22 ft lb.

Im returning them.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #20
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Endlink Torque Technique

I started my Pfadt equipment install this weekend too!

Since we're on the subject of torquing the end links, how is everyone accomplishing this? To tighten them, don't the end link bolts need to be held with an allen key while the lock nut is tightened down with a (box) wrench?

Or do you just put a socket and torque wrench over the whole assembly and tighten it down? If so, then how do you keep the heim joint from rotating?

Thanks
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #21
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Quote:
Im done with them.

Decided to put the rear end-links on today while I was waiting for the new front end-link

Broke ANOTHER one.

Are people who install these actually torquing them? I cant believe I could be the only one.

They need to re-think the 33 ft lb torque spec. The stock torque spec is only supposed to be 22 ft lb.

Im returning them.
Actually the stock spec is 36ft/lb (GM SI 2196718). And yes I have installed both the front and rear end links, tightened, and torqued them to spec without any problems. In fact I re-torqued the front links when I had the front end up to change the oil the other day. I have removed and re-torqued the rear end links a number of times now messing with the stiffness on the rear bar. That sucks you are having problems.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #22
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Endlink Torque Technique

I started my Pfadt equipment install this weekend too!

Since we're on the subject of torquing the end links, how is everyone accomplishing this? To tighten them, don't the end link bolts need to be held with an allen key while the lock nut is tightened down with a (box) wrench?

Or do you just put a socket and torque wrench over the whole assembly and tighten it down? If so, then how do you keep the heim joint from rotating?

Thanks
Use a 1/2" end wrench on the side of the end link that contains an integral hex head to keep it from spinning. Then use a 9/16" socket to tighten down the nut. It's easier to use a standard ratchet then a torque wrench to tighten down the nuts. Once the nuts are snug then grab the torque wrench and torque them to spec.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #23
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
Use a 1/2" end wrench on the side of the end link that contains an integral hex head to keep it from spinning. Then use a 9/16" socket to tighten down the nut. It's easier to use a standard ratchet then a torque wrench to tighten down the nuts. Once the nuts are snug then grab the torque wrench and torque them to spec.
Thanks. I feel like such a dope. I was only looking at the hex head end and the 1/2" integral nut on the stud didn't even register.

Everything is already snug, I'll put the torque wrench on them.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #24
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
Actually the stock spec is 36ft/lb (GM SI 2196718). And yes I have installed both the front and rear end links, tightened, and torqued them to spec without any problems. In fact I re-torqued the front links when I had the front end up to change the oil the other day. I have removed and re-torqued the rear end links a number of times now messing with the stiffness on the rear bar. That sucks you are having problems.
According to the PFADT springs install or the sway bar install instructions (not sure off hand)..they have the end link bolt torque listed at 22 ft lbs.

I dont yet have a shop manual for camaro so this was my only source.

What in the hell is going on here?

Maybe an entire bad batch of bolts.

Either way...I reached that point where I threw my hands up...im done.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Troy, I am very sorry to hear about the problems you are having. But these bolts are torqued all day long to 33 lb-ft with no issues. I am not sure what to suggest as a resolution. We obviously chalked the first one up to a mistake, and sent out a new one to help you. This is in fact, the first TWO instances we have ever heard of/seen with endlinks breaking when over-torqued. These endlink studs have a much higher torque rating than the 33lbs required. If they break, it is due to them being over torqued.

If there are other people who have had this problem with breaking endlinks, please let us know. But to the best of our knowledge, Troy has the only 2 isolated instances.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
According to the PFADT springs install or the sway bar install instructions (not sure off hand)..they have the end link bolt torque listed at 22 ft lbs.
The Torque value for the OEM endlinks is 22 lb-ft. The torque value for the Pfadt Endlinks is 33 lb-ft.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
The Torque value for the OEM endlinks is 22 lb-ft. The torque value for the Pfadt Endlinks is 33 lb-ft.
Thats what I said earlier. (I was talking about the stock links in that post)

Another member that recently posted said that the stock end link torque spec was 36. (in response to me thinking the 33ft lb you recommend for your end links to be a bit excessive in relation to the stock only being 22)

Either way...thats not really the problem here...

I would have just torqued them a bit less...but everyone says they will be noisy if not tightened down enough. So I had no choice but to go for it again...and SNAP.

You guys are sending me another front end link bolt as we speak...but now I broke one of the rears.

this is getting ridiculous....
Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #28
Scruffage

Drives: 2011 2ss Rs LS3 manual in black
What size and grade are the bolts in question?
Scruffage is offline   Reply With Quote