Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 06-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Need help negotiating ...

So I think I finally found the leftover 2010 Camaro of my dreams. It's about 80 miles away in Long Island. I'm making the trip up Saturday, and so far, the salesman has been really good, very informative, making sure the car is held there, etc. He's said that even though it's a lot car, it's "brand new", has "no significant mileage", and has "no marks" meaning no scratches, etc. The car also has the matte black stripes which I don't really want to pay for, but I guess I'm not opposed to how they look.

MSRP: $38,190
Invoice: $36,427
Dealer Holdback: ?????

I think to make this car work for the ideal financial situation, in the beginning I did not want to go over ~$35,500 pre-tax which was approximately the ORIGINAL invoice price (without stripes) back in May of last year when the car was released. Invoice price shouldn't be hard to get, but how far below invoice do you think I can get this car? A few hundred? ~$1000? How do I leverage the features I don't want into a price reduction of that magnitude? I'm not expecting to get it that low, but as low as I can get, obviously with them making $$ off the sale, and me not ripping my pockets open.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
The Viz

Drives: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
So I think I finally found the leftover 2010 Camaro of my dreams. It's about 80 miles away in Long Island. I'm making the trip up Saturday, and so far, the salesman has been really good, very informative, making sure the car is held there, etc. He's said that even though it's a lot car, it's "brand new", has "no significant mileage", and has "no marks" meaning no scratches, etc. The car also has the matte black stripes which I don't really want to pay for, but I guess I'm not opposed to how they look.

MSRP: $38,190
Invoice: $36,427
Dealer Holdback: ?????

I think to make this car work for the ideal financial situation, in the beginning I did not want to go over ~$35,500 pre-tax which was approximately the ORIGINAL invoice price (without stripes) back in May of last year when the car was released. Invoice price shouldn't be hard to get, but how far below invoice do you think I can get this car? A few hundred? ~$1000? How do I leverage the features I don't want into a price reduction of that magnitude? I'm not expecting to get it that low, but as low as I can get, obviously with them making $$ off the sale, and me not ripping my pockets open.
Unless you own a Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer don't hold your breath on getting below invoice. There's a buyer out there for every car. If the vehicle has options you don't want, then in their eyes you are looking at the wrong car. They aren't going to sell a car for practice. Holdback is not a negotiation tool. The dealership uses that money for overhead costs, not to figure gross on a car deal. Gross profit figures are calculated from invoice. $100 over invoice is honestly a great and fair deal for both you and the dealership.

"God help the child who grows out of everything"
The Viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
OUTATIME

I think what I'm asking you is to how to NOT use holdback as a negotiation tool, but still get below invoice. There are a few people on this board who have posted leftover 2010 purchases at below invoice and I'd like to be there too.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
If you said you are looking for the car you always wanted, that puts a little different twist in the negotiations as well, PLUS after driving 160 miles for the car, puts pressure on you, are you trading in a car ?? Trade good ??? If it has the vinyl stripes applied, a good hair dryer and sitting in the sun and the stripes come off !! Good luck, finding the car you want means a lot !!!
Some companies get a vendor discount for GM vehicles and maybe you work for one, I heard there are credit union discounts, search this site and you should see a lot of discounts that may lower the price...
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
OUTATIME

So far I've been good about not telling the salesman "OMG OMG I WANT IT PLZ PLZ LOLZ LOLZ". Yes, I'm driving ~160 miles but I have told him that if the pricing/financing/condition of the car is not reasonable I have no problem making the trip back. There is no trade, only a cash down payment which is really all I plan to offer. Don't get me wrong, the salesman and I are not treating each other like crap, but at the same time I've heard so many stealership stories that make this process a little scary . . .
Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Keep in mind, some parts of the country, cars are doing much better than others...if they only have a few 10's left, and their 2011 allocation is sold, it will be a while before they get more lot cars.....A slack in end of year allocation really put a dent in "in stock" units...and those decided to rather order a 2011. While you may get a dealer with an in stock unit that is "aged" - being on the lot a long time, willing to give up more and make less, other dealers still deal with a good demand on the 2010's.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
It is a 2010. Remember that. You can order a 2011 at invoice, don't pay it for a 2010. The dealer should have already sold it. It is his loss, it shouldn't be yours.
SchwarzerDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
In the grand scheme, it just doesn't matter. Go buy the car. *rant* How much below cost did you get that bottle of Clorox bleach? That is right, none.

Look, offer the guy a fair price, or what you are willing to pay. If he takes it, great you just got yourself a car! If not leave the dealership. This should not be a contest of who wins, or who can get the car for the lowest (best?) price.

I just read the post again.

If your concern is letting them make a profit - how much profit do YOU think is fair. Now look at it this way - If you were SELLING the car how much profit do YOU think is fair? Ask the guy how much they want to make on it, and negotiate the profit, not the sale price.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
JB @ C and L Machine

Drives: Ordered 2011
IMHO...the car is a year old brand new or not...So why would you pay full price when you can get a 11 for the same?
JB @ C and L Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
OUTATIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
If your concern is letting them make a profit - how much profit do YOU think is fair. Now look at it this way - If you were SELLING the car how much profit do YOU think is fair? Ask the guy how much they want to make on it, and negotiate the profit, not the sale price.
AHHH. Thank you.

I have absolutely no gauge of how much profit they'll make at each figure I listed, and yes, I want it to be fair considering this is a 2010 lot car, as opposed to a 2011 sold order rolling off the truck. Does anyone know?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
AHHH. Thank you.

I have absolutely no gauge of how much profit they'll make at each figure I listed, and yes, I want it to be fair considering this is a 2010 lot car, as opposed to a 2011 sold order rolling off the truck. Does anyone know?

I ordered a 2011 just the way I wanted. Its build date is monday.
MSRP was 39 and change
Paid 37 and change

I would have to assume that is at or just below invoice. Just tell them to come off it 5 grand or buy a new one.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
I ordered a 2011 just the way I wanted. Its build date is monday.
MSRP was 39 and change
Paid 37 and change

I would have to assume that is at or just below invoice. Just tell them to come off it 5 grand or buy a new one.
Huck:
I agree with you. Since there were no price markups from 2010 to 2011 (except $350) for models with HUD. Order a 2011, get the car you want (instead of paying $470 for stripes you don't want) - and it will be your car, you can follow the build process each step of the way..

You will never forget it, I promise. I waited nearly 7 months for mine last year, sold my 350Z in July thinking I would have my car in Aug/Sept, but didn't get it til Dec.. Rode my motorcycle when I could, husband rode his on rainy days so I could drive his truck. I'm laughing now... But, every morning, I open the door into the garage and see my Camaro and can't believe I have one sitting in the garage and it's exactly what I wanted. Lori
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS
i am currently talking to dealers in the area about getting a 2010 SGM and they won't budge on price so I tell them ok, i'll just wait for the 2011 because i am not paying MSRP on a 2010. they always reply with the oh, well, you cant even get the SGM for 2011 yet (orders start 6 days from now) and then one even had the nerve to lie and say the 2011s have a $500 price increase. so i said ok cya bud, and you move on to the next dealer.

DO NOT buy a 2010 for MSRP. unless they offer a significant discount just get the 2011 you want.
BriCo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
OUTATIME

Just about every dealership I've talked to with the exception of one, has told me they'll give me around invoice or less on a 2010. Like someone said earlier - cars in some areas are doing better than others so that might be the case with you, considering FL would be a great place to drive a Camaro year round.