Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Abdi
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LE
My first track day with the 1LE (NJMP)

Hey guys,

My first track day with the Camaro was Thursday July18th and this was a two day event with a time trial on Friday afternoon. It has been more than three years since my last visit to any track. My previous track cars where a BMW 2006 330i, and 2004 STi; these cars were dedicated track cars with roll bars, FIA rated seats and significant upgrades like, Ohlins shocks with remote reservoirs, PFC brake systems etc...

I took delivery of my Camaro on or about 5/17. I was on a TDY when the car showed up at the dealer so I sat at Nellis, AFB for a couple weeks wishing I was home to pick it up. This is not my daily driver so I have not spent a lot of time in it yet it and it had about 2,400 when I showed up to NJMP last week.

I had been in the market for a used 2011+ ZCP E92 M3 but honestly after watching the Car and Driver Lightning lap results I basically said "screw it" get the 1LE, and go have some fun. This might have been the best decision I've ever made. Needless to say I think this Camaro is flat out the most bang for buck you can get with a new car warranty for less than $40K.

I attend all of my track days with http://www.comscc.org/about-com/ I have been a member since 2004. Historically the club has been around since 1958 as Corvettes of Massachusetts and is one of the oldest in the country but is now a car club that has a very diverse group of cars and owners.

My girlfriend wanted to spend the rest of the weekend at Cape May which I have never visited and we had a great time. She also had fun, and I'm sure you guys know saying "happy wife, happy life."

She took these pictures with her phone so they are not great but it's all I have. I need to buy a Go Pro or something similar.

Cheers!
~Abdi
Attached Images

Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Congrats!
We are waiting for your track time analysis...?

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Nice! How did the stock 1LE compare with your previous track cars? I've got to say I was blown away with the balance and grip of mine on the track.

Do you plan on modding it?
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Lumino1LE
Rally Yellow 2SS/RS/SR

Drives: Born 11/12 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Nice looking car.

I would like to try out Thunderbolt at NJMSP.
Lumino1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Abdi
Account Suspended

The balance of the car is pretty much spot on. I had an alignment done two days before the event that put some more camber to the front, and corrected a front toe difference that I had suspected. If I recall correctly, I ended up with -1.8 front camber and 1/32 toe out with 1/8 total toe on the front. The rear camber was -1.25 with 0 toe. Corner entry is quick and responsive, nothing like the vague steering and understeer of the STi. The BMW would push mid corner... The 1LE does neither making it easy to drive the car fast. The Goodyear tires impressive to say the least considering a 200 thread wear rating. After the first 1 1/2 laps of the 1.9 miles course they were solid with a consistent rise in pressure. What I found most impressive is the way the car puts the power down when squeezing the throttle out of the apex. The LSD does a great job of keeping the car pointed in the right direction putting the power down under control without spinning the inside wheel or too quickly breaking the rear end loose.

The shocks dampening is good, the springs are a little soft and combined with the high ride height make for slow body roll transitions when going from one corner to another of the opposite direction. Under braking the car does squat forward quite bit, but it's not excessive and is linear.

I ran all of my session in the competitive driving mode which I found to be very well tuned. The increased weight of the steering in that mode is nice.

As far as mods are concerned. I will be at Watkins Glen the second week in September. I should have race brake pads, steel hoses, and brake cooling ducts. I might even do a set of lowering springs.

Over the winter months I hope to get a set of 19" wheels and R compound tires. Haven't decided on tires yet, I'd like to have two sets. I have to do some homework but I'm sure there are suspension and subframe bushings that could be stronger. A fixed Sabelt or OMP seat with 6 point and harness and all the supporting hardware. I think I can go pretty fast with this car with just those items.

Coilovers I will do when I hear back from a friend at AMF motorsports. I really don't see the need for more power. I grew up racing go karts so I'm pretty happy with the stock power output. Did mention how much I love the sound of the NPP exhaust.

~Abdi
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Abdi
Account Suspended

Corner worker Camaro

Check out the Camaro in the back ground, belongs to a corner worker. I wonder is he is C5 member?
Attached Images