Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Noisy AC compressor after only 4500 miles

looks like I have my first warranty issue to take care of
was letting the car ac cool down the inside before running errands this afternoon.
noticed I could hear the AC compressor cycling on from the back of the car which I hadn't ever the past 6 months since I bought it new.
so kept an ear out for it while driving and could hear a loud whine at higher rpms.
got home and verified the compressor get noisy above 2k rpm and noise goes away when the AC is turned off.
uggggg, I do auto/truck AC for a living so I hope the dealer doesn't bandaid it.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
On the 10's there is a TSB to change the belt.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Mr pogo

thanks, I thought of that too but the noise is definitely tied to when the compressor is on and very much louder than belt noise.

I did find this thread from a few years ago in case someone comes along later with the same symptom.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...026#post827026
Old 06-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
was letting the car ac cool down the inside before running errands this afternoon.
noticed I could hear the AC compressor cycling on from the back of the car which I hadn't ever the past 6 months since I bought it new.
so kept an ear out for it while driving and could hear a loud whine at higher rpms.
got home and verified the compressor get noisy above 2k rpm and noise goes away when the AC is turned off.
uggggg, I do auto/truck AC for a living so I hope the dealer doesn't bandaid it.
Hello Mr pogo,

Truly sorry to hear of the A/C concerns. I'd be happy to research any recalls for you. Also, have you already made a dealer appointment? I'd be happy to set up a visit on your behalf as well. Feel free to PM me when you get a chance and reference this thread. I look forward to your contact.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Mr pogo

thank you William for the offer.
Ive got other appointments this week so I'm just going to swing by my dealer later and let them listen to it then make an appointment then.
its mild weather so I dont need the AC til it gets fixed.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
thank you William for the offer.
Ive got other appointments this week so I'm just going to swing by my dealer later and let them listen to it then make an appointment then.
its mild weather so I dont need the AC til it gets fixed.
No problem at all,

I understand how busy things can get. When you can, let me know if you'd need assistance with scheduling. If you take it upon yourself, just let me know how the process at the dealership turns out for you. Thanks!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Mr pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
No problem at all,

I understand how busy things can get. When you can, let me know if you'd need assistance with scheduling. If you take it upon yourself, just let me know how the process at the dealership turns out for you. Thanks!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
thanks, will do!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Started noticing a similar issue about a month ago. Wasn't that loud when new. Been running AC since about March here in Texas and noticed a change in mid May. Still cools Ok, just noisy and seems to pull harder when kicks in. Gonna get into the dealership in a week or two when I can find a couple of hours spare time since the drive is abt 30 minutes.

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
franjojo22

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Loud A/C Compressor @ around 2K RPM

I have the same problem with my 2010 Camaro SS. I've taken the car to two different dealerships and both said it was the compressor. The first place McHaik Chevrolet in Houston TX replaced the compressor. That did not fix the problem. I gave the dealership bad reviews during the survey and GM contacted me. They asked me to take it back one more time and give them one more opportunity to fix the problem. I took it back and they decided to give me an extended warranty because it could not be fixed. McHaik said it was a "normal noise" on all 2010 Camaros. I called GM once again and after several voice mails a gentleman called me back. He said there was nothing else GM could do about it and that I should just accept the extended warranty. Some weeks later I took it another dealership here in Katy, TX (Westside Chevrolet), they also replaced the compressor. That did not fix the problem either. I'm so disappointed of GM response to my problem. Now I don't know what to do.
Kyle, Could you please tell me what your dealership exactly do to fix the problem? They are a lot more competent than the ones we have here in the Chevrolet dealerships in the Houston area.
franjojo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjojo22 View Post
I have the same problem with my 2010 Camaro SS. I've taken the car to two different dealerships and both said it was the compressor. The first place McHaik Chevrolet in Houston TX replaced the compressor. That did not fix the problem. I gave the dealership bad reviews during the survey and GM contacted me. They asked me to take it back one more time and give them one more opportunity to fix the problem. I took it back and they decided to give me an extended warranty because it could not be fixed. McHaik said it was a "normal noise" on all 2010 Camaros. I called GM once again and after several voice mails a gentleman called me back. He said there was nothing else GM could do about it and that I should just accept the extended warranty. Some weeks later I took it another dealership here in Katy, TX (Westside Chevrolet), they also replaced the compressor. That did not fix the problem either. I'm so disappointed of GM response to my problem. Now I don't know what to do.
Kyle, Could you please tell me what your dealership exactly do to fix the problem? They are a lot more competent than the ones we have here in the Chevrolet dealerships in the Houston area.
Really sorry to hear about your experiences franjojo22. I certainly understand your frustration. Feel free to message us if you have any inquiries or questions.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Mr pogo

went to City Chevy yesterday, told the service writer about the noise and figured I'd get the mylink/iphone problem and the tilted sharkfin antenna looked at too.
he looked up my car, reserved a loaner and I drop it off wed, went very smoothly
Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
went to City Chevy yesterday, told the service writer about the noise and figured I'd get the mylink/iphone problem and the tilted sharkfin antenna looked at too.
he looked up my car, reserved a loaner and I drop it off wed, went very smoothly
Appreciate the update Mr pogo,

It's great to hear that things are moving smoothly for you. Thanks and keep us posted.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #13
streetjudge79

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I also have the same noise problem with My A/C. Customer service, I sent you a PM.
streetjudge79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Mr pogo

I called for an update after dropping off the car at the dealer wednesday-
mylink updated
sharkfin antenna found to be warped and on order
noise could not be duplicated by technician

I told the service writer just rev it up in park to 2000 rpm and turn the AC on and you hear a turbine noise from the engine that goes away when the AC is turned off.

they did give me a newish Cruze for a loaner but the AC was overwhelmed yesterday with temps here in the 90s.
gonna drive my Ridgeline til I get my car back, supposed to be hot all weekend.