Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
Lamborghini1616

Drives: 2014 Camaro
V6 Exhaust Question

Hi everyone! I'm really thinking of getting an exhaust but I wanna make sure it sounds correct and how I want it.

https://youtu.be/umHowjvbIXM

I want mine to sound like this, or

https://youtu.be/M_aIaPyAn5g (Go to 5:29)

What parts could accomplish this? I'm thinking:

Quad exhaust pipes

X-Pipe

Magnaflow muffler?

I want that high pitched yell like in the first video but I don't want to buy Borla muffler.

What parts do you guys suggest to get those sounds?
Lamborghini1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
This thread might be better off in the LFX section as you have the LFX engine (2012 - 2015) - main difference being that you cannot replace the exhaust manifolds on the LFX like you can on the LLT (2010 - 2011) due to the manifolds being integrated into the cylinder head.

Anywho! I'm not sure exactly what you'll need for a specific sound, but in general:

A larger pipe diameter will create a deeper tone vs. a smaller diameter;
Resonators deepen the tone (removing them will heighten the tone);
A larger, longer muffler will deepen the tone and lower volume vs. a smaller, shorter muffler.

Typical exhaust mods for the V6 might include:

Replacing the mufflers with straight-through mufflers (I like Magnaflow);
Replacing the 2.25" pipe with 2.5" or even 3" pipe (resonators are typically removed here);
Replacing the factory h-pipe with a straight-through x-pipe or "resonated" x-pipe (essentially a muffler in the from of an x-pipe).

Personally I went with a resonated x-pipe by Maganflow in place of the h-pipe and then straight 2.5" pipe after that, so no resonators or mufflers. I've also heard a straight-through x-pipe + Magnaflow oval mufflers (kind of the opposite to mine I guess) and it sounds pretty good - a quieter but more refined tone compared to mine. There are also plenty of people running 3" pipe and they all seem to sound pretty good.

Generally the less restrictive you go the louder but crappier (raspier) the sound will get, while adding restrictions (mufflers, resonators) the nicer/more refined it'll sound but the quieter it'll get. I don't think you can go wrong with replacing the mufflers with a couple of straight-through oval ones; if you replace the piping I'd go at least 2.5" and not worry about adding the resonators back in; and an x-pipe is always welcome for improved airflow.

And then of course don't forget about high-flow cats! This is where the extra power/torque gains come from with respect to the exhaust, and these will also change the tone and increase volume as the single high-flow cats on either side are much less restrictive than two OEM cats on either side. I have not done my cats yet but do intend to go with Solo Performance as theirs includes resonators to help deepen the tone/reduce rasp.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Slvr-camaro15

Drives: 2017 zl1 ,2010 SS /RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
This thread might be better off in the LFX section as you have the LFX engine (2012 - 2015) - main difference being that you cannot replace the exhaust manifolds on the LFX like you can on the LLT (2010 - 2011) due to the manifolds being integrated into the cylinder head.

Anywho! I'm not sure exactly what you'll need for a specific sound, but in general:

A larger, longer muffler will deepen the tone and lower volume vs. a smaller, shorter muffler.

Replacing the 2.25" pipe with 2.5" or even 3" pipe (resonators are typically removed here);
Replacing the factory h-pipe with a straight-through x-pipe or "resonated" x-pipe (essentially a muffler in the from of an x-pipe).

Personally I went with a resonated x-pipe by Maganflow in place of the h-pipe and then straight 2.5" pipe after that, so no resonators or mufflers. I've also heard a straight-through x-pipe + Magnaflow oval mufflers (kind of the opposite to mine I guess) and it sounds pretty good - a quieter but more refined tone compared to mine. There are also plenty of people running 3" pipe and they all seem to sound pretty good.

Generally the less restrictive you go the louder but crappier (raspier) the sound will get, while adding restrictions (mufflers, resonators) the nicer/more refined it'll sound but the quieter it'll get. I don't think you can go wrong with replacing the mufflers with a couple of straight-through oval ones; if you replace the piping I'd go at least 2.5" and not worry about adding the resonators back in; and an x-pipe is always welcome for improved airflow.

And then of course don't forget about high-flow cats! This is where the extra power/torque gains come from with respect to the exhaust, and these will also change the tone and increase volume as the single high-flow cats on either side are much less restrictive than two OEM cats on either side. I have not done my cats yet but do intend to go with Solo Performance as theirs includes resonators to help deepen the tone/reduce rasp.
Thanks very detailed answer .
Old 10-06-2017, 02:21 AM   #4
Lamborghini1616

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post

Wow! Thank you so much for the info!!

So if I went with non resonated X Pipes with glass pack mufflers, how would you think it would sound? Would you recommend 2 magnaflow mufflers? Are there magnaflow mufflers that are sort of the same thing as a Borla Atak muffler?
Lamborghini1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Looks like the mufflers used on the Borla Atak cat-back are round/circular, and Magnaflow makes a similar style muffler. Every brand is going to sound a bit different of course, and it's hard to say how they will differ - you'll need to hear it in person (or try to find a good video for a given configuration). Personally I like Magnaflow but that's just me, and I haven't heard many other brands in person.

With a straight-through x-pipe and round mufflers you'll have the same config as the Borla Atak so it will likely sound similar. The Borla is 2.5" pipe while the V6 piping is 2.25" after the h-pipe, but I believe many cat-backs made for the V8 will also fit the V6 - there is a video out there with a Magnaflow cat-back with 3" pipes, made for the V8 but was installed on a V6. I'm not familiar with glass packs but there are videos out there with these on the Camaro V6's.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote